What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I watched both episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them. This is clearly a big budget production with high quality cinematography.

The story line, at least through the first 2 episodes, follows the book but is not “closely coupled”. There is clearly some drift. I’m still looking forward to the next 8 episodes. I’ll wait until the last episode is available to continue watching.

I’m finding it rare that the story line of books made into TV series are highly consistent. The second season of Pickett is a great example. IMO, The ending is about 160 degrees different than the book it is based on. While I find this very unfortunate, I did enjoy the TV series and give it a B- grade. The book got an A. I’ll watch season three but only when I can get it for free.

Wheel of Time is the same. A reasonably realistic portrayal of the books would probably require 30 episodes per book. That’s not practical. I enjoy the TV version for what it is.

Since I never read Shogun, I will probably enjoy it very much. As long as I get it for free.

Last edited:
Watched the pilot of "Elsbeth" on Paramount Plus (also available on over the air TV, CBS.) I enjoyed the character when she was on "The Good Wife". Instead of being a defense lawyer she is now a sort of police oversight person, investigating corruption in the NYC police department. Of course, she gets involved in solving crimes.

The program shows promise but the opening episode was kind of so-so, with a weak mystery. It's not really a who-dunnit, nor is it a how-dunnit, it's more of a "how will Elsbeth figure it out" story. I will continue for at least a couple more episodes.

I've been looking forward to the release of "Masters of the Air" on Apple+. It is the third in the WWII series following the release of "Band of Brothers" in 2001 and "The Pacific" in 2010. The first seven of the nine episode series have been released with the final one due out on March 15.

I was about to pull the trigger on a one-month subscription to Apple+ this weekend when this offer popped up on Slickdeals: New or Select Returning Subscribers: 2 Months of Apple TV+ Free. Perfect timing.

I've heard mixed reviews on MOTA and after watching the first episode I'm not sure how it will hold up when compared to the first two in the series. I doubt it will come close to being as good as Band of Brothers which I consider the best WWII film ever produced.

Thanks, down in the comments section of the slickdeals offer is a link for 3 months free Apple+ at Best Buy for new and returning customers.

Watched the pilot of "Elsbeth" on Paramount Plus (also available on over the air TV, CBS.) I enjoyed the character when she was on "The Good Wife". Instead of being a defense lawyer she is now a sort of police oversight person, investigating corruption in the NYC police department. Of course, she gets involved in solving crimes.

The program shows promise but the opening episode was kind of so-so, with a weak mystery. It's not really a who-dunnit, nor is it a how-dunnit, it's more of a "how will Elsbeth figure it out" story. I will continue for at least a couple more episodes.

My take on Elsbeth...Columbo meets Monk. Elements of both...a closed mystery...we know who the bad guy is so the plot revolves around tripping up the real killer; a quirky detective with an assistant; initially hostile cops who make a 180 after the first solve. Columbo became annoying whereas Monk didn't. A toss-up for me whether Elsbeth becomes annoying. IMO, Monk was 'humanized' by his assistants whereas Columbo was not. I think we need to see another side of Elsbeth making her a whole person and not just the quirky character. :popcorn:

We watched Monsieur Spade and enjoyed it. I know some folks did not, but we did.

I just finished it last night and really enjoyed it.
I thought Clive Owen was great.
As a side note- the German shepherd’s name was Charlemagne- my schnauzer in my profile picture name was Charlemagne. The vet loved it because she never saw a dog with that name.

I know this is old news, watched Madoff: Monster of Wall Street from 2023 last night. I was interested in the history and how the SEC failed miserably. He ruined so many lives. Especially retirees.

We watched Karen Pirie (very good!) on Britbox, and canceled our subscription at the end of our promotional period. I'll subscribe again to watch S13 of Vera. Meanwhile, I've subscribed to Apple TV for Killers of the Flower Moon. We've also wanted to watch Ted Lasso. Does anyone have recommendations for mystery series on Apple TV?

Started "Sexy Beast S01" Typical British, London Gangster flick, lots of bad language, nudity, violence, excellent music etc. Reminds me of my days as a lad in the smoke. I even understand them (Cockneys). Think Snatch.

Has every warning in the book and then some. Seriously, definitely not for the righteous, squeamish or faint of heart.

We started Warriors on Netflix. About San Francisco Chinatown in the late 1800's... Lots of violence and martial arts... but also some interesting looks at how racism played it's roll in several ways... And corruption. So there's some plot to go with the fight scenes.

But if you don't like blood/bone crunching sound effects... don't watch it. We're in season 2 of 3.

We watched Karen Pirie (very good!) on Britbox, and canceled our subscription at the end of our promotional period. I'll subscribe again to watch S13 of Vera. Meanwhile, I've subscribed to Apple TV for Killers of the Flower Moon. We've also wanted to watch Ted Lasso. Does anyone have recommendations for mystery series on Apple TV?

Criminal Record was good, and very complex so don’t snooze. I really enjoyed Bad Sisters, not sure if it’s a mystery or a comedy (or both) but we went back and watched it again. Slow Horses is more of a thriller I guess, but you might like it if you like mysteries. Somewhat along the lines of Ted Lasso, you might like Acapulco, in that it’s a feel good comedy.

Did you have issues with the sound quality?
I can barely hear the people talking.
Googled and apparently it was an issue when it was first aired.

Did you have issues with the sound quality?
I can barely hear the people talking.
Googled and apparently it was an issue when it was first aired.

No, but we usually have subtitles turned on, so perhaps we haven't noticed.

I find subtitles too distracting so never have them on.
Can't remember where but once found under sound settings for a streaming movie there was a setting to enhance dialogue. Worked pretty well but can't remember which streaming service. And don't know if it was that particular movie or the streaming service.
Hopefully that becomes common.

I’ve been using subtitles for years. Most shows and films raise the volume when showing action sequences, which makes them too loud, in response I turn down the volume a bit, and then struggle with dialog.

Add to that the many UK filmed shows we watch with unfamiliar words and accents, and some hearing loss, and I find subtitles very useful - when they’re legible.

...I find subtitles very useful - when they’re legible.

And when they are in-sync with the actual dialog on the screen.

We've had an off and on problem with the subtitles on the Hulu streaming network being 10 to 15 seconds ahead of the dialog on the screen. Nothing seems to work to remedy the issue, the only "cure" is to try again the next day to see if the problem persists. Frustrating.

We've had an off and on problem with the subtitles on the Hulu streaming network being 10 to 15 seconds ahead of the dialog on the screen. Nothing seems to work to remedy the issue, the only "cure" is to try again the next day to see if the problem persists. Frustrating.

I noticed the same thing. I think it occurs after you pause during commercials. But, I’m not 100% sure of that. The sync does not fully take in the lost time.

Is it just me or has the new season of Call the Midwife gotten even more sappy? We used to enjoy it but lately it’s just cloying. I know it always was, but not at this level.

I thought this last season and gave up on it.
I agree that it was always on the sappy side but it was entertaining and didn’t take a lot of thought.
Last season just put me over the edge and I never went back.

I did try subtitles with Karen Pirie but for some reason it was just irritating me! I don’t mind subtitles and often use them for really good foreign shows. Scottish and Welch accents are hard for me to understand so I use them.
I think it was the fact that I could hear the dialogue but it was low like they were whispering. I hate whispering. ��
It was the third time that I tried watching and the sound quality has been bad each time I tried. Oh well- it’s a 3 episode show so I’m just scratching it off my list.

Speaking about whispering reminds me that I need to watch the new walking dead shows.

Watched the 3rd episode of Shogun on Hulu and have been really enjoying this miniseries. It does seem to follow the storyline of the James Clavell novel I read so many years ago. I do remember watching the original miniseries with Richard Chamberlain, and I like this version even better. I watched the first episode with English dubbing, and the following 2 episodes in Japanese with English subtitles. Both ways are very good. For those of you with a good sound system, the low frequencies in this series sounds really great.

"Constellation" on Apple TV. Story is about an accident on the International Space Station. Can't really say much more about it (that would be spoiling) except to say things are not the same in the aftermath of the accident and when the astronauts return to earth.

It's supposed to be spooky and creepy but mostly it's an undecipherable mess. At least so far, through 3 episodes.

There are some very well done space scenes which look fantastic but the story is kind of confused jumble. I suppose that's intentional but right now there is no rational explanation that can be given that would explain events sufficiently for me. So far, the one attempt at an explanation had an 80 year old former astronaut explaining to a 10 year old child what happened. I don't think a bunch of scientific quantum state mumbo-jumbo is going to land well with a 10 year old. (or adults, even those that are marginally conversant in it, like me.) For those that are scientifically inclined there are hints of Schrodinger's cat, multiverses, and the observer effect all thrown into a messy stew. Honestly, just quit the scientific hand-waving and go with a supernatural explanation. It seems that's what the writer is intending, after all.

I did try subtitles with Karen Pirie but for some reason it was just irritating me! I don’t mind subtitles and often use them for really good foreign shows. Scottish and [-]Welch [/-]accents are hard for me to understand so I use them.

Welsh

Oh joy. I’m not sure I want to check this, although I probably won’t be able to resist.

Back
Top Bottom