What price does small acreage cost in your area?

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was wondering what price undeveloped land costs in your area. For instants a 5 acre, has power and road in a rural setting with all the wildlife out your back door. Lets say it is 5 to 10 minutes from a small town with all essentials. Less then 50 miles to a full blown hospital.

The reason I ask is I has someone that is asking. After looking ~5 acre here can go go 450K to 65K for about the same scenario.

What would one have to pay for something like this in your area? Thanks

5 acre lots with paved roads and electricity are going for between $80K and $200K here in the Hill Country ~10 miles outside San Antonio. Price varies based on views and available construction sites on the lot. Many are steep and require serous foundation expense to build a house.

In southern Indiana, that would range from $50K to $100K depending on terrain and water, ie, pond, etc.

The big variable IMO is water and septic. Had a 10 acre site with a couple outbuildings go for about 110 4 years ago. On a tar road 15 minutes from the county seat. School district is in high demand which makes a difference too. They needed to put in up to code septic and a new well.

Last year they sold off 5 acres of that for 40K very uneven lot with drainage issues and nothing but bare land. In our country you now need 5 acres for zoning approval.

A friend just bought a 6 acre piece cut out from a farm for $115k. On a paved road with electric only. Surrounded by large farms 10 minutes from a town of 14000, sixty miles southwest of Chicago.

I see other 5 acre rural tracts close to town listed for $150k

NE Alabama - 10 acres mixed hardwoods - listed for $50K. Gated community with covenants (not too onerous, but no trailers or campers), pretty marginal schools.....

not my area, but this may interest you.

$7,570,000
7.06acre lot
80 Saddleback Rd,
Rolling Hills, CA 90274

A 10 acres lot little over 1.5 hours from Dallas would be $300-$600 range. FYI: Fringes of the suburb is about 1 hour drive from Dallas.

PS: I am familiar with North Dallas and so my numbers are as such. South Dallas might be little cheaper.

I doubt that there are any undeveloped 5 acre lots in my town. We're pretty much full. I looked on Zillow for the town next door, and the only things I could see were one 4.1 acre lot for $185k and one 5.8 acre lot for $250k. Both have paved road frontage and electricity. Probably both would require septic and a well.

In my county, in the rural parts, you can get a 5-8 acre parcel for under $200k.
In San Diego city... I couldn't find any 5 acre parcels... But 1/4 acre can go for $2.5M if it has a view or is in a chic neighborhood. (Land only, no house.)

Thanks for all your input!! Location is a big deal in what someone is looking for and what they want to use it for. Here in Montana something like that goes from 45K to millions just depends mostly on a view, being close to river, hunting/fishing etc..

Here thou not all those small acre places don't have all paved roads. There is more demand for a 5A piece by itself, which isn't in a subdivision with 30 other 5A lots.

It's too late to move in around here... Far to expensive these days.:cool: When acreage does come up for sale around here, the asking price is up 4 to 5 times what it was just 4 or 5 years ago... One of the best investments I've ever made.

Last edited:
^ the prices just keep going up on land and small acreage. Large pieces of ground is cheaper per acre but that has gone up like crazy also.

Depending on the utilities available, probably $100K range here for around 5 acres. Smaller 2-3 acres are higher per acre. More if water and especially natural gas is available at the road. Issue around me is that small lot neighborhoods are getting close by, so that drives up the land cost, if it is available. I'm about 10-15 minutes from normal suburbia. Most of the small lot neighborhoods are buying an older farm and putting in subdivision. Lots 0.1 acre are typical in these small lot neighborhoods. These small lot neighborhoods are within1.5 miles of my house, I am on 2.5 acres and my whole street/neighborhood is similar with a few 10-15 acre parcels.

^ in rural areas like where I live, there isn't any natural gas in most rural areas some but very little. Heat is done with propane, wood or electric. Water isn't an issue to drill or have rural water or do a shallow well.

^ in rural areas like where I live, there isn't any natural gas in most rural areas some but very little. Heat is done with propane, wood or electric. Water isn't an issue to drill or have rural water or do a shallow well.

No nat gas at my house, I have heat pump primary with propane backup. The new small lot neighborhoods are along major roads where nat gas is more likely. I do have "city water" though from a local rural water supply, and am on septic for sewer. Have wood burning fireplace for the ambiance, not used for heating. We do have lot of trees around here. Especially ash trees as the Ash Borer killed all of the old ash trees around the area. Ash is a nice burning wood though.

Also a comment re: wood heat: most all of the new small lot neighborhoods do not have wood burning fireplaces. If they even have a fireplace it is nat gas fake logs. A lot have no fireplace at all.

Even a shallow well and water setup will cost at least 10K.

Having recently looked rather extensively on the Olympic Peninsula, the 5's we saw ranged from 315K with a septic already installed and two distinct views, to 140K with no view at all. Properties move fast so I will look at current inventory.
We really liked the 315K property but it had way too many other problems to suit us.
All of those were on a paved road or only had a short gravel spur off the paved road.
Out in the gravel roads, prices are cheaper.
Our new place is on city sewer and water, really apples and oranges at that point.

EDIT:
Here's a 3 with no view, close to town for 90K
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Nka-Pristine-Ln-Lot-1_Port-Angeles_WA_98362_M94483-56258

This 4.5 has potential views. At least the drone can see them :D
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9999-Meadow-Ridge-Ln_Port-Angeles_WA_98362_M93184-37329

Last edited:
One of my friends owns 175 acres near Centerville, Texas, a small town. It's all large farming parcels in the area. About 10 years ago, they paid $1,750/acre for the parcel with a nice farmhouse and a new barn on it. Plus, it has a pond and about 1/3 is cleared.

I would bet today that land would go for $3,000 - $4,000 per acre. It's about 5 miles west of Centerville which is south of Dallas about 100 miles or so and north of Houston about the same distance.

That's pretty common for most nice areas. This thread is about rural parcels on multiple acres.

My bad. I read "undeveloped" land and didn't occur to me that it meant rural.

To be fair to RetiredHappy, street only explicitly asked about "undeveloped." He threw in "rural" and some other qualifiers as a "for instants" (sic).

A bare 5 acre lot up by me would be around $500,000. Glad I bought many many years ago, I couldn't afford to live there now!

Back
Top Bottom