What price does small acreage cost in your area?

To be fair to RetiredHappy, street only explicitly asked about "undeveloped." He threw in "rural" and some other qualifiers as a "for instants" (sic).

If there was any confusion on specifics it was my fault. All input is great and appreciated very much.

Different areas of each state can have a huge effect on price also.

Water well is a huge expense like REWahoo, stated. I did drive a swallow well last year for a cost of ~ $500 bucks that included everything. Tests fine but for drinking we buy water.

In Illinois, away from Chicago and other metros, the price of land runs from 8000 per acre to about 14000 per acre. I sold a small farm in 2019 of 30 acres for 360K and it was considered a good price for the property.

Ten acre undeveloped oak tree wooded lot across the lane is asking $1.6 mil. Has a nice building pad with close access to power and water, but most of the lot is on a side hill.

Just waiting for another retiree to BTD and build a nice mini-mansion with a killer view and small vineyard over there.

^ WOW!

Two lots for sale now located near our rural neighborhood: 1) 20 k per acre (total 14 acres) with water and electric to lot line. 2) 16k per acre (total 18 acres) but no water/electric to lot line. We paid 30k for our well about 4 years ago. We put up solar so I’m not sure about the cost to bring power in. I think one neighbor paid about 14k to bring electric to his land, so I’m guessing would roughly cost that much.

We were traveling in Wisconsin's Driftless area recently and ended up daydreaming about moving to Viroqua. There are a couple old farmsteads for sale out there; one has 7 acres and a tired-looking house (but well and septic) for $165k. A nicer old place, 6+ acres with intact barn and several other solid-looking outbuildings for $290k. Viroqua has about 4,000 population, a hospital and a reputation as a haven for organic farmers and homesteaders. About 85 miles in either direction to University of Wisconsin Hospital and Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

Bare farmland is going for about $5k/acre and up around most of the state.

Thanks for all your input!! Location is a big deal in what someone is looking for and what they want to use it for. Here in Montana something like that goes from 45K to millions just depends mostly on a view, being close to river, hunting/fishing etc..
Yep, I did a quick Zillow search for all of Maryland, and they started at $28K, some were even 7+ acres, but there were also ~5 acre commercial and waterfront lots for $1.3-1.6M.

I live in an urban inner suburb, so any info from me will be useless. Still, I thought it would be fun to calculate it, so I figured out that my 50x120 lot is about 1/7th of an acre.

A lot that is the same size as mine (but vacant), right around the corner from me, sold for $350K. So assuming you could get 7 of them right next to each other (you can't), the cost for one vacant acre would be $2,450,000.

I live in a rural area in far NE MN. Private road association with a dozen lots of 20 - 40 acres. Lots of public land to roam around on in all directions.

A bare lot of 30 acres just sold for $115,000. It has no well or septic, no electricity. Not even a driveway. It is not on water but it does have a nice view of a creek on the adjacent state land.

We're 6 miles from a town with most of what anyone would need.

not my area, but this may interest you.

$7,570,000
7.06acre lot
80 Saddleback Rd,
Rolling Hills, CA 90274

Not near me either either. Had to look this up. That’s a large lot near exclusive Palos Verde with a desirable ocean view. Perfect lot for a gated compound for the rich and famous who have money to burn.

I live in an urban inner suburb, so any info from me will be useless. Still, I thought it would be fun to calculate it, so I figured out that my 50x120 lot is about 1/7th of an acre.

A lot that is the same size as mine (but vacant), right around the corner from me, sold for $350K. So assuming you could get 7 of them right next to each other (you can't), the cost for one vacant acre would be $2,450,000.

A house that had burned down twice, and just had a charred shell on a regular suburban lot in the Bay Area recently sold for $1M. It probably would have been more, but the buyer would have had to have factored in the tear down of the old house into the price. So I guess that makes 1 acre here about $7M?

A house that had burned down twice, and just had a charred shell on a regular suburban lot in the Bay Area recently sold for $1M. It probably would have been more, but the buyer would have had to have factored in the tear down of the old house into the price. So I guess that makes 1 acre here about $7M?

Depends on the lot size! :D Might be more!

Recently tempted by a 7.5 acre lot on a mountain side for $35K about 15 miles out of town. Our current 4 acres with 2 shacks of houses but both have well and septic was about $46K

Holy Cow! That is how may have acquired their money from cities grown and they owned land adjacent to city limits.

defining 'my area' as the area we're currently traveling through (far West TX) there is an interesting little development north of Big Bend National Park where you can pick up 10 acres for a mere $10K. Mainly for hunting as there is no electricity.

$100K gets you 10 acres at Limpia Crossing - outside McDonald Observatory. Electricity at road.

Personally I don't see the appeal for this area, given it's location in the Trans-Pecos desert...

Looks like $7-$15K an acre in 5 to 10 acre plots 30 or so miles SW of Richmond, VA. Nothing fashionable or upscale, but the area has accessibility to suburban areas with jobs.

Land prices are several times that in more fashionable areas close to the James River between Richmond and Charlottesville.

Out of Steam, I don't see land ever going down much if any.

A year ago my friends paid 150k for 5 acres 40 minutes from town. It cost them 60k to drill a well.

^ I like that. Lol

Robbie, looks like a sheep pasture a pretty hefty price to boot!

Teacher Terry, water is important and expensive to get can really add to the price of land.

i have a 7 acre lot available for 499k we are trying to sell in a town center.

I was wondering what price undeveloped land costs in your area. For instants a 5 acre, has power and road in a rural setting with all the wildlife out your back door. Lets say it is 5 to 10 minutes from a small town with all essentials. Less then 50 miles to a full blown hospital.

The reason I ask is I has someone that is asking. After looking ~5 acre here can go go 450K to 65K for about the same scenario.

What would one have to pay for something like this in your area?

~5 acre lots in the central UP of MI are going for $25K to $45K. Obviously commercial with hwy. frontage or waterfront lots go for 5X that.

4,809 Square Feet
518 S Gertruda Ave, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Sold: $1,428,000 Sold on 09/16/21

Back
Top Bottom