What We're Making

Thanks - very heavy. I attached the legs to the top while the top was upside down on my old workbench. Flipping it over onto its feet was a real treat.

I built a pretty stout workbench when I moved into my previous house. Not as heavy as yours, but a bit longer with three drawers. When I moved last summer, I left it behind for the new owners. :D

For this place, I'm going to buy a fold down workbench by Lifetime Products:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7L95M...WTUDE1ERH&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm done with heavy work and restoring old cars! So this ought to work for me!

That looks great and I really like the clamping that is built into your bench. I took my vise off my old work bench when I installed all my old kitchen cabinets and countertop in my garage last summer. I miss that vise terribly and will need to re-install soon.

I use vises or clamps all the time and I would say clamps I use more than about any other tool when I'm doing a project.

nice work fellas!
No projects for me. My brother and his son are building a sailing pram that breaks down in two pieces, and I sent a bucket of clamps with them. At least my clamps are having fun :)

I built a pretty stout workbench when I moved into my previous house. Not as heavy as yours, but a bit longer with three drawers. When I moved last summer, I left it behind for the new owners. :D

For this place, I'm going to buy a fold down workbench by Lifetime Products:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7L95M...WTUDE1ERH&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm done with heavy work and restoring old cars! So this ought to work for me!

That fold down workbench will work great. I had one similar to yours at our condo in Az. When I sold our place, the buyer(single woman) wanted it. So I left it but took the tools.

That looks great and I really like the clamping that is built into your bench. I took my vise off my old work bench when I installed all my old kitchen cabinets and countertop in my garage last summer. I miss that vise terribly and will need to re-install soon.

I use vises or clamps all the time and I would say clamps I use more than about any other tool when I'm doing a project.

Thanks - I took my old vise off my old workbench a while ago. I need to get that thing installed also.

One thing I've noticed watching YouTube build videos. The older the builder, the more clamps they use. Its a skill that develops with age.

Excellent tutorial and thanks for sharing those DIY videos. I really like them and so well done!!

I would never want to work on such a nice pc. I like the planer sled. Assuming it cuts down on snipe?

Thanks for the video.

What beautiful work bench. It's nicer than my dining room table.

Cheers!

Impressive work bench. Given reasonable care it should last for about forever.

Thanks everyone.

Surewhitey - Yes the sled cuts down on snipe, but it also takes the bow out of the boards. I put the board on the sled bow up with shims under the bow against the sled. And screw the board through the sled at each end. Then I run it through the planer and the bow is taken out - no longer a bow in the top of the board. Then take it off the sled, flip it so that the flat side is down and run through the planer taking off high points at each end.

Gotcha. I need to slow down and come up with better mousetraps like this. Like a "jointer" sled for the table saw...

This is my go-to for prepping a board reasonably straight before I start machining on it.
I think those are some VG fir curls. It makes good firestarter :)
I'll eyeball it and make some pencil marks, and then clamp it and have a go at the points, and flip it and do the same with the bump.
IMG-20161106-144219.jpg

Some people have too much kitchen. I only revised the ratan doors. Now someone else can paint everything...

Attachments

• IMG_20231128_123441721.jpg
    IMG_20231128_123441721.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20231128_123510311.jpg
    IMG_20231128_123510311.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231128_123457884.jpg
    IMG_20231128_123457884.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 15
Surewhitey - I have a question. My niece is going to paint her stained oak cabinets. I vaguely remember using Zinsser shellac primer over stain/varnish (with no sanding) before painting. IIRC, it turned out ok and the paint held up.

What would you recommend?

^^ Very nice. I was going to show DW, but maybe I shouldn't.

Def don't. These are a beat down to do. I even cut corners and bought the doors and only did the inserts. My buddy who runs a really high end cabinet shop says he just attaches it on an mdf insert with contact cement and then paints them. Either way, it's not easy.

Surewhitey - I have a question. My niece is going to paint her stained oak cabinets. I vaguely remember using Zinsser shellac primer over stain/varnish (with no sanding) before painting. IIRC, it turned out ok and the paint held up.

What would you recommend?

I've done this. First light sanding after degreasing. The Zinsser shellac primer is definitely the best way imo. I paint with SW Emerald Urethane Enamel and use a hplv sprayer. Nice & smooth finish. 1 gallon goes a long way. If you want my account #, it should be 35-40% discount to retail. I just bought a gallon for $61 including tax...

I've done this. First light sanding after degreasing. The Zinsser shellac primer is definitely the best way imo. I paint with SW Emerald Urethane Enamel and use a hplv sprayer. Nice & smooth finish. 1 gallon goes a long way. If you want my account #, it should be 35-40% discount to retail. I just bought a gallon for $61 including tax...

Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll get back to you if she goes further with her project and can't get the discount through her DH's business.

^^ Very nice. I was going to show DW, but maybe I shouldn't.

I have learned the hard way to never, ever, do that. DW is more than capable of getting enough remodeling ideas on her own. She does NOT need any help from me.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom