What We're Making

^^I wish I could find the details of any area I visit like this. Makes you feel like you didn't miss out on seeing the POIs.

^^ Finding the POI's and other information is key. Sometimes it takes a lot of research. But I can usually get from websites, google maps, Tripadvisor, etc.

When we went to London, there were good maps of their Tube routes, but I wanted one with the Tube and the attractions that I wanted to go to.

Attachments

• london.jpg
    london.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 23
Have any for Salzburg or Vienna? Headed there in a few months and know little about the area... I'd be a hero to the wifey.

Have any for Salzburg or Vienna? Headed there in a few months and know little about the area... I'd be a hero to the wifey.

On our next trip I'm going to use Google Maps to set down the recommended routes for the Rick Steves walking tours. First get the RS tour book for the area you are visiting. You can download a copy to an iPhone which is very convenient when mobile. For Austria there is a Vienna, Salzburg, Tirol RS book. The problem we have had is there is only written directions for the route plus a book map. So ...

Then look up how to download and save a Google Map of the route you want to take. Try this using Gemini (Google AI tool) and ask "how to set up and save a detailed city walk in google maps". You will get the instructions for how to do this.

A bit of work but you can do it from home.

This reveals our names... oh well. DH put together our photos from our Iceland trip 8 years ago with music we were composing when we had to stop in 1991 when I went into preterm labor and hospitalized. It all worked out well. Nearly three decades later it was finished.

If you need a respite from the world at large, this is it.

Full screen is a good idea. Enjoy.

Whipped up a box. Granadillo with maple trim. Osmo top oil finish.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.46.47 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.46.47 AM.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.47.33 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.47.33 AM.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 6
Nice box Ron. I use Osmo Polyx as my go-to finish but haven’t tried their top oil. Do you prefer the top oil?

Nice box Ron. I use Osmo Polyx as my go-to finish but haven’t tried their top oil. Do you prefer the top oil?

Thanks. I don't see much difference between Polyx and Top Oil. From their website, it looks like Top Oil is more food safe. So I got some Top Oil in case I needed to make something food safe.

Forgot to get an installed picture, but my neighbor needed a place to store medical stuff for the "bag" he has to manage after all his medical treatments. Basically a bench that fits the space perfectly with storage and standing "assist" arm rests. They also needed the integrated hand slots vs a drawer pull sticking out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_101721859.jpg
    IMG_20240306_101721859.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 14
This reveals our names... oh well. DH put together our photos from our Iceland trip 8 years ago with music we were composing when we had to stop in 1991 when I went into preterm labor and hospitalized. It all worked out well. Nearly three decades later it was finished.

If you need a respite from the world at large, this is it.

Full screen is a good idea. Enjoy.

So peaceful! Thank you for posting.

Stunning scenery and beautiful music. Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Had to match & fit this into the corner (a feat in itself). The lower 2 drawers are actually 1 solid pc with a 45 deg line cut to make it look like 2...it's going to be a litter box for the cats eventually and have a hole cut in it... Neighbor has a feral colony and no expense spared.

The finish was just a touch off, but less than the pic shows.

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_103225699.jpg
    IMG_20240320_103225699.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 11
Tissue Box

It seems that cardboard tissue boxes are getting uglier all the time, so I decided to make a nicer one from wood. The sides are Walnut with Maple inlay. The attached top is an off cut from a previous project of figured Walnut that was too nice to discard, with Wenge trim. The removable bottom is solid Walnut with Wenge trim. It’s held in place with another piece of 3/8” Walnut glued to the inside face and milled to the exact dimensions of the box interior. I used my shooting board and a sharp plane to produce a tight friction fit. The finish is Osmo Polyx satin. Now that it’s received the stamp of approval from my wife, I’m making a second one so that we’ll have a matching pair in our bedroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 18
It seems that cardboard tissue boxes are getting uglier all the time, so I decided to make a nicer one from wood. The sides are Walnut with Maple inlay. The attached top is an off cut from a previous project of figured Walnut that was too nice to discard, with Wenge trim. The removable bottom is solid Walnut with Wenge trim. It’s held in place with another piece of 3/8” Walnut glued to the inside face and milled to the exact dimensions of the box interior. I used my shooting board and a sharp plane to produce a tight friction fit. The finish is Osmo Polyx satin. Now that it’s received the stamp of approval from my wife, I’m making a second one so that we’ll have a matching pair in our bedroom.

Beautiful work!:cool:

That is nice!!

I love how you got the opening for the tissues centered right in whorl. Beautiful. Love your attention to detail.

Thanks, there was actually a knot hole in the center that was just small enough for a clean opening for the tissue box, thus creating the swirl. I could never find a suitable use for this piece of wood before this project.

Back
Top Bottom