What We're Making

Beautiful job, as always, Surewhitey. And practical. Here’s some food for thought. If you could make that chopsaw shelf removable, you could slide the whole saw unit out, flip it over and let the saw dangle upside down, giving you a clear work space up top when you want that.

Yeah, except for dust box I built around it & collection vacuum below it... And it weighs a ton! I have a full 8' butcher block to the right, so I don't want to "need more" than that...

I have an oak that occasionally drops branches. Makes for a good hiking stick

Attachments

• 01A24418-E2DF-4914-84AA-B35DA7DDA56B.jpg
    01A24418-E2DF-4914-84AA-B35DA7DDA56B.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 31309545-DC92-4D18-B95D-C975CB4BD041.jpg
    31309545-DC92-4D18-B95D-C975CB4BD041.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 34
I have an oak that occasionally drops branches. Makes for a good hiking stick

Really nice!! One thing I have noticed from people that are wood working people is that they can always see something to be made from found wood etc..

I believe it is the creative minds that they have.

Really nice!! One thing I have noticed from people that are wood working people is that they can always see something to be made from found wood etc..

Thanks - I’ve noticed the same thing. You’re quite creative with raw wood as well!

Beautiful work! I just want to let everyone who posts projects on this thread know how much I enjoy their pictures.

Nice stick. I always think walking stick when looking at crepe myrtles...

Did a couple of custom closets. One was built around the shoe tower already there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_163053330_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220527_163053330_HDR.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Poor man's dust collection. I made a cart, added a french cleat mount under the outfeed table and "auto" vac switch to the table saw. Been wanting to get efficient for maneuvering around the saw for a while now...6hp mini vac & dustopper separator.

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_171115243.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171115243.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220602_170930715_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220602_170930715_HDR.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
At our new apartment, we have a vertical firepit on the balcony. We wanted a tray or something to put on top of it for drinks, etc.
On eBay, we found a two inch thick slab of black walnut from the Ozarks. [FONT=&quot]After using Gorilla glue to bond the bark, the slice was sanded. The wood is very hard, and took a lot of time to sand it. Starting with coarse 60 grit,[/FONT]
working through 100 and 150 grit, and finishing with 220 grit for a smooth surface.
After sanding, multiple coats of Teak oil were applied.
I have no where the talent of you woodworkers, but I did enjoy this.

Attachments

• P1010164.jpg
    P1010164.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010166.jpg
    P1010166.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 33
At our new apartment, we have a vertical firepit on the balcony. We wanted a tray or something to put on top of it for drinks, etc.
On eBay, we found a two inch thick slab of black walnut from the Ozarks. [FONT=&quot]After using Gorilla glue to bond the bark, the slice was sanded. The wood is very hard, and took a lot of time to sand it. Starting with coarse 60 grit,[/FONT]
working through 100 and 150 grit, and finishing with 220 grit for a smooth surface.

Beautiful!!:cool:

Walnut is my favorite. That end grain will break your spirit with the amount of sanding it takes... Very well done.

Awesome job! That walnut pops with the oil on it.

Poor man's dust collection. I made a cart, added a french cleat mount under the outfeed table and "auto" vac switch to the table saw. Been wanting to get efficient for maneuvering around the saw for a while now...6hp mini vac & dustopper separator.

What brand dust collector do you have! I've seen some at Harbor Freight and some at our local Woodcraft store. I can't make up my mind which way to go!

What brand dust collector do you have! I've seen some at Harbor Freight and some at our local Woodcraft store. I can't make up my mind which way to go!

I'm squeezed for space so I am using a 6hp, 4 gallon Rigid shop vac/blower (Home Depot only sells online) and a Dustopper, on a 5 gallon bucket, separator that has been an easy setup that can be used for other purposes too. It's very compact (footprint is appx 16" x 32") as my pictures show. With the switch, it'll set you back about $200 total.

If I had room for a big system (and a few thousand bucks), I'd love to hard pipe in a legit system. This just makes sense for me & it has worked for a few years now...

I find that I use it 90% at the table saw & 10% planer... Minimal cleanup at the end of the day & easy to empty the 5 gallon bucket. Shavings are great for composting if not plywood...

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_171105391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220602_171105391_HDR.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I put my old one under the chop saw & closed up the space around the saw for pretty decent collection there too... These 3 tools are 99% of my dust makers...

The 2 front panels are magnetic for easy removal for angle cuts. 90% of cuts are 90° for me...

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_141239659_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220526_141239659_HDR.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Beautiful!!

Surewhitey, Great work as always! I don't have much for space to work on wood project at my home in town. I do all my wood working outdoors summer through winter. My dust collecting machine is the outdoors so not really have any cleanup except to use a leaf blower and away it goes. Lol

Some of you have some beautiful workshops. Outstanding!!!

If/when I build a separate workshop, now using my garage, I will include a dust collection system. Besides the mess it creates breathing in sawdust is a serious health issue, both my father and his brother were carpenters who died of lung cancer, I'm certain that was a contributing factor.

I have a portable dust collector that I move around my shop to the tool that I’m using. Also have a ceiling mounted air filtration system that I run constantly.

But sometimes in summer I move the operation outdoors and just let the sawdust fly.

Attachments

• E590F495-03BA-4DAC-BE54-F9D113219D4A.jpeg
    E590F495-03BA-4DAC-BE54-F9D113219D4A.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 31
Thanks, Surewhitey and Ronstar. I currently have a mobile Ridgid shop vac and hoses to my jointer, planer, table saw and chop saw. When DW's high school remodeled, a 240V down draft table was ordered by mistake instead of a 480V model. I acquired the 240V model and put a 120V motor on it. I would love to figure a permanent system with hard pipe and a cyclone, and use the downdraft table(blocking off the table potion when not in use and opening a valve to the hard pipe), but I'll be 75 before I find enough time to to it

I have a portable dust collector that I move around my shop to the tool that I’m using. Also have a ceiling mounted air filtration system that I run constantly.

But sometimes in summer I move the operation outdoors and just let the sawdust fly.

When I have that much chips, I throw it in the flower bed & call it "premium" mulch...

That's what I always do, but my machines aren't very big, so moving outside is pretty easy.

Yesterday I made a roll-up shade for the gazebo with just stuff I had leftover from other projects. Zero trips to the hardware store (this is rare). Rather than describe it, the first 50 seconds of this video give you the gist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom