What We're Making

That's good info, I learned something.

Been finishing cutting boards with mineral oil as that was ( I thought) the only safe finish for food surfaces.

But lot's of disadvantages. Never dries, needs renewal and always feels "slippery"

Been finishing cutting boards with mineral oil as that was ( I thought) the only safe finish for food surfaces.

But lot's of disadvantages. Never dries, needs renewal and always feels "slippery"

That's what I use for most cutting boards too, but always looking for a better mousetrap.

I have the same issues with mineral oil. I submerge my boards in a small tub of mineral oil for a day, then put on a rack to dry for a day. Still feels a little "slippery" or still slightly wet.

So then I rub in some beeswax. That takes care of the slippery feeling. Probably doesn't help with the renewal issue. I've given boards to several friends and family who seldom if ever re-oil them. Every time I visit them in their kitchens, my eyes will catch a glimpse of their boards sitting their looking drab and in need of some oil.

I'm either going on tour to everyone's house to replenish their boards, or we're going to have a board replenishing party at our house. But I can't stand to see them drying up like they are.

Anyone seen the TV series 'The Craftsman'? I think the woodworkers out there would enjoy it. It follows an older gentleman, mid 70's maybe, that does mostly historical renovation work, he's been at it for almost 50 years. He has quite the workshop, some very old but still very usable woodworking machines. A router table that uses bicycle type pedals to power the blade, an old shaper machine that he uses to create all his own shapes and moldings as needed, claims to have the largest collection of shaper blades in the country. He does some impressive woodworking. I've been watching it on HBOMax but pretty sure it's not an HBO original so probably available on other channels.

Trying to use up all of my wood scraps by spring. The scraps I have left are thin and not cutting board material, so I'm whipping up some small boxes. This one is mesquite sides, spalted hackberry top and bottom with oak liner. I probably have enough scraps to make 20 of these.

8D0Ns9C.jpg

I am always impressed with the precision and beauty of your woodworking skills.

Cheers!

Trying to use up all of my wood scraps by spring. The scraps I have left are thin and not cutting board material, so I'm whipping up some small boxes. This one is mesquite sides, spalted hackberry top and bottom with oak liner. I probably have enough scraps to make 20 of these.

8D0Ns9C.jpg

Nice work. I always have leftover wood that I'm looking to do something with but it's not "nice" wood suitable for projects like yours. You can only do so much with 2' and 3' scraps of pressure treated 2xs.

8D0Ns9C.jpg

Love spalted wood. This would be a great, relaxing thing for me. I'll need a project like that soon...

I'm tired... But a happy customer...

Attachments

• IMG_20230203_123822863_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230203_123822863_HDR~2.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230203_123809022_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230203_123809022_HDR~2.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 35
Surewhitey, Looks great!! They going to use it for a study/library or just shelving?

Once again very nice Surewhitey! I may have asked this before, but what kind of paint do you spray? And do you dilute it?

I tried a couple of spray paint projects and they were disasters.

Once again very nice Surewhitey! I may have asked this before, but what kind of paint do you spray? And do you dilute it?

I tried a couple of spray paint projects and they were disasters.

HPLV cup gun, 1.4 tip. The paint is Sherwin Urethane enamel Emerald. It's water soluble and maybe 5% dilution. 1.7 tip & maybe no diluting. Super easy to use. I've also rolled with a foam roller and it lays down super smooth too.

Primer I use is Zinsser shellac and even easier to spray, just have to clean it up with denatured alcohol. Super fast dry & 320 grit light sand and butter smooth.

Last edited:
Ronstar-Beautiful work on both of those pieces.

Surewhitey-Wonderful piece for a child's room. Looks great.

HPLV cup gun, 1.4 tip. The paint is Sherwin Urethane enamel Emerald. It's water soluble and maybe 5% dilution. 1.7 tip & maybe no diluting. Super easy to use. I've also rolled with a foam roller and it lays down super smooth too.

Primer I use is Zinsser shellac and even easier to spray, just have to clean it up with denatured alcohol. Super fast dry & 320 grit light sand and butter smooth.

Thanks - If I ever have to paint anything, I'll try the Emerald. I've sprayed rattle can Zinsser shellac. Great stuff, but the rattle can produces some orange peel - at least when I did it.

Thanks - If I ever have to paint anything, I'll try the Emerald. I've sprayed rattle can Zinsser shellac. Great stuff, but the rattle can produces some orange peel - at least when I did it.

Agreed. Good for small touching up, but hplv is way easier to control the flow and fan. Very little waste too. A gallon is enough to do a small kitchen, doors 2 sides & outer boxes. Sherwin makes a similar product, but it seems to require a touch more sanding.

Last edited:
My pocket knife collection is overflowing its storage boxes. So I'm making a new display case. Hinged lid with glass insert showing top level, then 2 drawers under. Should hold 70-90 pocket knives.

Having to make the drawers deeper since I can't find full extension drawer slides less than 1.75" tall. Picked up some mahogany and baltic birch plywood today.

Attachments

• knife case.jpg
    knife case.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 29
My pocket knife collection is overflowing its storage boxes. So I'm making a new display case. Hinged lid with glass insert showing top level, then 2 drawers under. Should hold 70-90 pocket knives.

Having to make the drawers deeper since I can't find full extension drawer slides less than 1.75" tall. Picked up some mahogany and baltic birch plywood today.

Never needed these, but maybe this would work? The full extension Xtra pc is the culprit...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209-073810.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209-073810.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 31
Not my taste, but the client is happy. She's an artsy type who knows what she wants...

This really tested my tile cutting skills. Thankfully I had a helper for the labor part and I just cut the puzzle pcs.

Other new experience was the beadboard doors and butcher block in the kitchen. She assured me she didn't use the kitchen much to overwork the counters.

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_104458317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230208_104458317_HDR.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230208_113047266.jpg
    IMG_20230208_113047266.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Not my taste, but the client is happy. She's an artsy type who knows what she wants...

This really tested my tile cutting skills. Thankfully I had a helper for the labor part and I just cut the puzzle pcs.

Other new experience was the beadboard doors and butcher block in the kitchen. She assured me she didn't use the kitchen much to overwork the counters.

Very nice, though I'm with you as far as the tile design being "not my taste". As my MIL would say "Interesting....".

But it is actually pretty cool how the geometric inserts cross tiles. That's a different look, but I can see where some would like it.

The beadboard cabinet fronts and butcher block counter - no question there, very nice!

-ERD50

Such amazing talent from the folks on the forum!

Very nice! I've seen some kitchen butcher block countertops where they just oiled them. Probably needs a lot of maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom