Wow! Wild! OOfah

NewGuy -- don't let the "experts" here get you down. You're a good man to teach in an inner-city highschool -- I doubt that many people could do what you do.

All the best in your new activities . . .

jeff2006 said:
NewGuy -- don't let the "experts" here get you down. You're a good man to teach in an inner-city highschool -- I doubt that many people could do what you do.
I taught 8th grade science for a semester and was a sub off and on for a couple of years in inner city Chicago in the ealry 70s. I had several friends who taught there as well. It is a tough job and most of us quickly moved on to other easier and more lucrative pursuits.

I agree with other posters that teachers don't merit special sympathy - we all choose our paths - but the work can be difficult and many teachers are very talented.

Texas Proud said:
I think it is a bunch of BS about salary... and work conditions..

Newguy... YOU chose to do those things... you did not have to coach (unless of course you are hired as a coach... well, then you made your decision)... You (all teachers, not just newguy) knew what the wages were when you got into the profession.. it is not like you were blindsided with... 'well, we WERE planning on paying you $100K but now we are only going to pay $50K because revenue has dropped'...

You DO only work 185 or so days vs. 230 to 250 for your salary... you do get a pension that is better than 95 to 99% of workers..

Is it a profession where you can get rich?? No... but it is not as bad as some here make it out.. or there would be NO teachers.. and again... you made an informed decision on your career path.. nobody held a gun to your head and said "TEACH"..

Oh... and the chance of getting fired is slim.. you almost have to have sex with your students... being a lousy teacher is not enough..

I would love to teach... but, I can make more money doing what I do.. so I continue to do so until I have the nest egg to leave..

I never said I was gonna get rich, yes I knew what I was getting into, getting laid off 3 times last one hired is the first to go during budget problems. So I end up 20 years ago in Newark. Yes I coached and painted so I could pay the mortgage and raise the kids and help with college and medical school.

All I was saying is that the PENSION was not a choice. That the numbers that were given were all fine UNTIL the gov, Christy whitman raided our system, underfunded it and then was appointed to the BUSH CABINET.

I am just glad that my pension is not going to be taken.

newguy888 said:
I never said I was gonna get rich, yes I knew what I was getting into, getting laid off 3 times last one hired is the first to go during budget problems. So I end up 20 years ago in Newark. Yes I coached and painted so I could pay the mortgage and raise the kids and help with college and medical school.

All I was saying is that the PENSION was not a choice. That the numbers that were given were all fine UNTIL the gov, Christy whitman raided our system, underfunded it and then was appointed to the BUSH CABINET.

I am just glad that my pension is not going to be taken.

I am glad also..

I am not saying teachers are 'bad'.. which it might appear in my post... my mom and sister were teachers... and good..

Texas Proud said:
I am glad also..

I am not saying teachers are 'bad'.. which it might appear in my post... my mom and sister were teachers... and good..

Its all good Thanks, I really am pumped, I must drive 500 miles this weekend back to NJ to finish the next 16 weeks.

Labor day weekend.

Woopie, did ya just see the confetti fall on my head!

Have a great weekend everyone!

During a period of being "forced ERed" I was a long term substitute teacher position.  In comparison to a "real job" there wasn't any real stress.  It was actually lots of fun.  There was stress but it was mostly the ability to "manage the situation" with the student(s).  I appreciated the kids wanting to learn and I learned to neutralize disruptions from the ones that didn't.  I did my bit at the high school level so I didn't think I had any business trying to "inspire" anyone.  By then, they had made their own way.

I thought about becoming "certified" but I fortunately got a real job at about 3X the money.  That will speed up my real ER by several years.  I've actually thought about getting certified to have a low stress job with lots of time off in ER.  It would solve the health insurance issue which is the only reason I'm still working.

I agree that those bums should get real about their jobs.  Most nurses/teachers/city workers/firemen (they only work a few days a month and get paid to sleep!) food servers ( avoid income taxes on tens of thousands of dollars in tips a year) police..........wait, I lost track of who we're trashing. 

Peck..Peck...Peck!

We're always so anxious to tear down out neighbor to build ourselves up!  Anybody who is not making 25-30% of the median price of housing in their area who holds a full time job that requires a college degree or equivilent IS underpaid.

Sheep! Sheep! Sheep!  Focus on the real problem. 

IMHO

honobob said:
Focus on the real problem. 
IMHO

I would say that our disastrous and expensive education system is definitely one of the real problems, though obviously not the only one.

It isn’t only that we are throwing money down a rat hole, but that we are failing to educate a large part of a generation.

But of course, you are certainly entitled to your humble opinion.  :)

Ha

Problem? What problem? Best educated crop of youngsters ever!! Smart as whips, they are!! Nothing to see here . . .move along. Please just pay your taxes and leave this to the experts.

Umm--okay.

samclem said:
Problem?  What problem?  Best educated crop of youngsters ever!!  Smart as whips, they are!!  Nothing to see here . . .move along.
Yeah... and I wonder how often they balance their checkbooks...

I'm a retired computer programmer now enjoying a COLA'd pension from the State of California. My wife will be joining me with same next July. Our pensions are part of a contract we signed when we dedicated 27 to 29 years of our labor to the people of California. Because we LBOM, and know it is possible, we will be able to do quite well the rest of our lives.

Those who believe civil servants are overpaid in retirement, and undeserving of the contracted benefits signed into law are entitled to their opinions.  They, like we did, also had options for employment and probably decided that the trade offs involved in working civil service vs the public sector were not worth their while, (assuming they could have met the hiring requirements.) Surely its not just a case of sour grapes.

Those who complain about the various lawmakers and governors who created the pension benefits are invited to register their distaste in the upcoming elections.

To those of you, who like my wife and I,  put up with the low pay, petty bureaucracy, poor management, and the endless jokes about street workers leaning on their shovels, while still doing the best job possible, my condolences. Get out as soon as you can, the villiagers have amassed with pitch forks and are looking for monsters!

Back
Top Bottom