Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I recently watched Newsroom on Prime, an Aaron Sorkin production that I think was on HBO... excellent! Sort of like The West Wing but in a major network newsroom.

Another series that I watched previously that was good was Nikita (similar to Alias on ABC back many years ago).

Currently watching Orphan Black... interesting but the jury is still out.
Orphan Black, it gets phenomenal reviews but I only made it thru season1 and the first two of season two. It's the most convoluted plot intense show and just not enjoyable to watch for me. They threw in a few too many clones...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Orphan Black, it gets phenomenal reviews but I only made it thru season1 and the first two of season two. It's the most convoluted plot intense show and just not enjoyable to watch for me. They threw in a few too many clones...
I think we watched 2 seasons. It was fun for awhile. I enjoyed seeing the female star in her various cloned roles.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

If "Fortitude" is on your "liked" list, then "Trapped" should be on your "Watch" list. It is a murder mystery set in Iceland. We are 7 episodes in and it is like the book you can't put down -- each episode leaves one very tempted to start the next... even knowing it is way past your bedtime. <chuckle>

There is a little nudity (mostly in the first scenes) and subtitles take care of the rare "bad" word.. The only thing I can complain about, however, is that it is sub-titled but there is no closed captioning available. Most of the dialog is in the native Icelandic language but there are many scenes spoken in English. There is, of course, no subtitles for the English dialog and it takes a few seconds for the brain (at least, mine) to realize that they are speaking my native tongue... thus missing some important clues.

In any event, it is one the most well-written shows I have seen in a very long time.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #184

"Quest: Man's Journey Into Space" initially looks dated due to 4:3 screen formatting but that may be intentional because most of the content is excellent, old footage of the history of space exploration starting with rockets of the 1940s. Lots of Soviet rocket launch films I'd not seen before. Well-written narrative accompanies. Narrator has an unusual accent, perhaps a multilingual Scotsman? Seems to be unlisted in IMDB.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

I have just started watching Comrade Detective on Amazon Prime.

It is a 1980's Romanian TV crime show. It has been remastered and dubbed in English so there are no subtitles. It's a hoot! The 'Star' is a two fisted no-nonsense cop who is loyal to his partners and the Communist system. He sometimes goes over board and breaks a few criminal heads along the way, but it's OK since they bad guys who act to much like Americans.

The over the top Cold War politics are just plain funny. Most of the bad guys are bad because they behave like 'Capitalists' - selling drugs, running Speakeasy's, and generally seeking personal gain by doing things that harm the people's paradise. The American Ambassador is a Southern Country Gal who looks and dresses like a hooker, drinks too much and hangs out in an illegal gambling club in Bucharest. Her aid could be a pole dancer. One Romanian cop comments about that to his partner who replies "What do you expect, all capitalists are prostitutes".
Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #186

Archangel, a 3 episode series, free for Prime Members. An excellent BBC production, intriguing old Soviet story, and, besides, who can pass up watching Daniel Craig?

Rita
Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just saw the 1st episode of Comrade Detective. It is a hoot! Although it is not a real Romanian show redubbed, it is a spoof, made to look like an old Communist TV show. I think that makes it so much more fun!

And let's not forget The Grand Tour now in its 2nd season. It is the continuation of the crazy trio from Top Gear after Jeremy got fired and the other 2 left the show.