Charging your cell phone

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I admit it - - I have just never taken to cell phones very well, and I don't know much about them.

What is the easiest way to charge them? Do you charge yours by plugging it into the cord that comes with it, that plugs into the wall and into the phone? If so, do you have a way to keep the cord from falling on the floor and so on between uses?

Another method that I could use is to charge it from the USB port on my computer, with the proper cord for that. Do you prefer to do that?

Or do you just charge it in your car?

What do most people do in order to make charging their phones easy and routine, and as little hassle as possible? any cool ideas (or even humdrum ideas)?

A few years ago everyone seemed to have a charging cradle so that you could just plop the phone in the cradle when you get home, and grab it on your way out. How convenient that seemed! Now, it seems like they are not available for most phones. So, here I am with a brand new Motorola W385, which is otherwise a very nice phone, and have not found a charging cradle for it online. Grrr.

louise

We use the charger that plugs into the wall outlet in the kitchen. Can put the cord in a basket when not in use. We charge it overnight and it usually it lasts all day, but we keep a charger in the car, too. Never charge it through the computer...guess we could, but don't. Routines, I guess...plug it in at night...retrieve it in the morning.

Don't leave the charger plugged into the wall when you are not charging the phone. It suck electricity even if the phone is not connected (not full amount but some).

Hmm, I'd better unplug, then. Don't want a fire hazard.

I like the idea of doing it in the kitchen, with a basket on the counter to hold everything. Sure sounds better than chasing down a cord under a table or behind the sofa every day.

That's what I need - - a routine. Then I'll get into the cell phone habit and join the 21st century.

Is it true that charging a partially charged phone reduces the amount of battery charge you can achieve? That's what I was told when I bought my first cellphone way back in the last millenium. So I avoid charging it unless it's pretty low, or dead. :dead: The problem is: without a routine, it's often dead when I really need it! Solutions, anyone?

BTW, I use the plug in charger that came with the phone. I wouldn't buy a phone without the compatible charger.

When I was w*rking (yuuuch, what a sick thought......:p), I had an almost one hour commute each way so I simply charged the phone while I drove. FIRE'd, I sometimes only get in the car 2 or 3 times a week, although I still have the car charger there. Instead, I have an AC charger plugged into the outlet behind the dresser in the bedroom and the charger plug secured (with a tie wrap) to the tray where I toss my wallet, keys, etc. at night. While I'm dumping all that cr*p into the tray, I plug the phone in.

DW uses the kitchen outlet and little basket trick already mentioned.

Its better if you plug it using the wall charger. Supposedly you get a better charge and the battery last longer. I heard this a long time ago I don't know if technology changed.

Is it true that charging a partially charged phone reduces the amount of battery charge you can achieve?

That applied to NiCad batteries. You probably have a Lithium Ion battery now and those aren't subject to the "memory effect" you were correctly told about.

Look in your phone and if it's a Lithium Ion, charge away anytime.

Last edited:
That applied to NiCad batteries. You probably have a Lithium Ion battery now and those aren't subject to the "memory effect" you were correctly told about.

Look in your phone and if it's a Lithium Ion, charge away anytime.

Thank you, I will!

Hmm, I'd better unplug, then. Don't want a fire hazard.

There's no fire hazard. joesxm is correct though, the wall transformer will consume a small amount of power even with no load on the secondary, but we're talking very, very, little. Since mine is plugged into an inconvenient spot to get at, behind a heavy dresser, it stays plugged in.

If the transformer still feels warm after no phone has been charging in it for awhile, you know it's still drawing some power.

I've heard that some cars charging systems are having problems because of all of the demands on it--cell phone, mp3 player, DVD players, nav systems, etc. I try to avoid putting too much on the system if I can avoid it, but I'd rather have a charged cell phone then be without, so I use it if I have to.

I tried buying a 3rd party charger kit for my cell phone from ebay. The car charger works, but the socket charger does not. They shipped me a 2nd one but that didn't work either. I thought it'd be nice to have an extra for my travel bag, or one near the door and one near my computer so I could have easy access wherever I thought of recharging.

I use the basket system too. I have a few around the house to try to contain clutter. amd the charger is one thing that goes in it.

Kitchen Plug, newer phone, charges fast and lasts longer. When traveling we plug the provided charger into the cars 110 plug (it is in the cargo compartment but the cord is long enough to reach in on the center arm rest of the SUV so it can be answered while on the charger).

I like the way you think!

LOL!!! I don't suppose it would clarify things if I added "in a basket", either!

Anyway, I think I'll go over to World Market on my lunch break and look for a nice sized, pretty basket for the purpose of containing my cell phone charger. It should work out nicely to put it on the kitchen counter by the side door, right under the socket. I can use my George Foreman grill on the other side of the kitchen instead, so that the basket doesn't get splattered.

I know this solution probably sounds obvious to those who are doing it, but honestly I never thought of it. I was thinking in terms of charging my phone on my computer table, and having the charger cord falling down into the rats nest of cords in the dark area underneath that table every day. What a great idea to put it on the kitchen counter! Thanks.

I am determined to establish a daily charging routine so that I will have my charged cell phone with me every day. As long as I am paying for it there is no point in leaving it lying around uncharged and gathering dust, which is what I did for six years with my prior cell phone. Just because I can remember the old black rotary phones we used to have back in the 1950's doesn't mean I can't push myself into the 21st century. Better late than never.

I thought of discontinuing my cell phone contract, but I really do need it for hurricane evacuations and travel. I might discontinue my land line if I can get used to the blasted thing.

Last edited:
Dh and I do the basket thing with our phone chargers in the kitchen too. Plugging the phones into the chargers has become part of our getting ready for bed routine.

I don't use my cellphone very often, so I usually wait until the battery indicator has just one bar left (meaning the battery is getting low). I know that for my phone, when I have only one bar left I still have plenty of battery time left in case of an emergency.
Otherwise, if I'm going on a trip, I will either take my charger or make sure I charge the phone up before I go.
I use the charger that comes with the phone (plugs into the wall).
Also, I have a little box where I keep my ipod, ipod charger, other ipod accessories, cellphone charger, and digital camera charger. That way I know where everything is (assuming I put everything back)

How many minutes do you use per day?

I am determined to establish a daily charging routine so that I will have my charged cell phone with me every day.

Why? From your post it does not look like are planning to talk for hours?
W385 specs are saying standby time up to 440 hrs, that's 2.5 weeks.
It would be better to have a weekly instead of a daily routine.

While somebody said correctly that LiIon don't suffer from memory effect, the longevity (but not cycle life) suffers when stored fully charged. They have the longest calendar year life when stored/used roughly half charged (3.6V per cell)

I have a different phone (W810i) but I charge it once every two weeks.

.............I've heard that some cars charging systems are having problems because of all of the demands on it--cell phone, mp3 player, DVD players, nav systems, etc. I try to avoid putting too much on the system if I can avoid it, but I'd rather have a charged cell phone then be without, so I use it if I have to...............

I'd be surprised if this were true. Most cars have at least a 100 amp alternator, which delivers 1200 watts of power. Think microwave or toaster or hairdryer type of power. A cell phone uses milliamps.....

Your charger probably draws .5-3 watts when not charging. Mine takes less than 1 watt. Although rates vary, I use the following rule of thumb: If it's always plugged in, the annual cost in dollars will be about 1.5 times the wattage. So, if your charger draws 2 watts, it will cost you $3 per year. I unplug mine when not in use.

I also don't think you'll be taxing your car's electric system.

We leave our tracfone in the car, and whenever the car is on, it is charging.

I charge both at home and in the car. At home i have the charger plugged in in the same place i drop my keys and purse when I come in. I plug in (when needed) when I come home and the phone is ready to go when I leave and is in plain view when and where I am loading my pockets to go out. I just use the charger that came with the phone - no cradle.

I have a charger in my car, but only use it when the phone is nearly dead.

A few weeks ago I had DH add a hands free thing to my car so I can answer the phone or make a call without picking up the phone. I LOVE this gadget! My state has passed a cell phone use while driving law and will begin ticketing offenders soon. The law requires that phones be hands free for use in vehicles. I applaud this new law and can't wait for the ticket revenue to start rolling in!

My state has passed a cell phone use while driving law and will begin ticketing offenders soon. The law requires that phones be hands free for use in vehicles. I applaud this new law and can't wait for the ticket revenue to start rolling in!

Problem is, studies have shown that hands-free is very, very dangerous too. It distracts the driver - I think it was just as much as hand-held, but I'd need to check on that.

At least when they have their hands on the phone I can TELL that they are distracted and try to steer clear ! Hands-free is like 'stealth-distracted'!

-ERD50

Right. I suspect that this law was passed only because the cell phone industry wants a new profit center, namely hands-free phones.

Maybe the thing about car batteries had to do with people using power inverters and drawing more power. I can't find any reference to it now.

Accessories are a key contributor to profits since they sell at much more attractive margins than the phones themselves.

Also, there is some real trash (read "dangerous") out there coming from third party accessory suppliers, so shop carefully for replacement batteries, hands free adapters, chargers, etc.

Maybe the thing about car batteries had to do with people using power inverters and drawing more power. I can't find any reference to it now.

Could be. I also know those thump thump thump sound systems draw huge amounts of power. I'm adding an inverter to my hybrid and was looking for fuses over 100 amps. Found 'em in the automotive audio section.

Back
Top Bottom