Chevy Equinox vs Honda CR-V

WADR, IMO if your experience with GM is more than ten years old then it isn't particularly relevant to this thread.
The primary basis of my preferring the CRV over the Equinox was Consumer Reports Reliability Reports FWIW. Getting burned by giving my hard earned money to GM more than 10 years ago was secondary.

I've owned and liked both Hondas and Chevys. I'd give the longevity/reliability nod to the Honda, although not by all that much these days.

One thing I would definitely suggest you do is pay close attention to the level of road noise in the Honda on less than smooth pavement. I've found that to be one of the only weak areas Honda designs.

Edit: Consumer Reports says the 2017 CRV is much improved in the road noise department, so maybe no longer a problem. Still, I'd want to do a thorough test drive to check it out.

We have a 16 CRV and road noise is an issue. Mileage is around 25 combined.

Our 2013 CR-V has been flawless after 65K miles. I agree that road noise can be an issue at high speeds on poor road surfaces. I drove the new 2017 Touring model and it was remarkably quiet and the CVT operated well matched to the new 1.5L turbo. It also seemed even more solid and refined than our 2013. I am considering a new one to replace my 12 year old BMW which is threatening increasing maintenance costs.

Mazda's have really stepped up there game in the past couple of years. Especially with the SkyActiv-G engines. If I were in the market for a new SUV, I would include them.

I agree. The only caveat is that the rear seat legroom of the Mazda cannot compete with the new CR-V. So if you have a tall family, Mazda may may not be for you.

The 2017 is a great crossover if you don't plan on hauling more than a couple people and groceries, or filling it with people and not much else. It was quiet when we test drive the Touring trim. The infotainment system was okay but we used Android Auto first chance we could.

It got great MPG, the CVT was a snail, the electric motor on the power driver seat on every trim and every car we tested on the lot sounded like it was about to die. The headrest was pitched way too far forward, and the seats were so firm it created painful pressure points.

But it was cavernous, the fit and finish was nice, the dark olive is an amazing color, and we would have kept the one we bought if the seats hadn't been so uncomfortable.

Nothing about the Equinox really impressed me, nor its GMC counterpart, the Terrain. In every feature of every compact to missive crossover I looked into, the CR-V became the one to beat, and nothing else could unless you got into luxury brand territory.

Our 2013 CR-V has been flawless after 65K miles.

I can't speak for high mileage, but I've put over 150K miles on each of my last two CR-Vs (2003 and 2008). Only 105K so far on the 2013, but I'll get to 150 by next Spring. Nothing but routine maintenance on any of them. 150K is when I normally get a new one. Not sure if I'll go for a fourth CR-V in a row, but knowing me it's somewhat likely. I've been a very happy Honda owner.

Just purchased a 2017 CRV EX yesterday. We chose it over the Nissan Rouge because it had more features, had a 5 star overall rating and had more leg room in the back seats. Honda ranks very well in overall service and repairs + safety.

After 2 days, we love it. We just had 2 friends killed in a Ford Escape. Hit by an Acura sedan. Kid ran the red light and was speeding. Thus, we were very concerned with the safety aspect when purchasing.

DH did lots of research before purchasing.

Engine built in Japan, transmission built in the us and assembled in Canada. Some were assembled in Mexico. We chose assembled in Canada over Mexico.

Last edited:
JD Power & Associates annual survey

From Clark Howard's site:

Kia again ranks #1 in J.D. Power initial quality ratings | Clark Howard

Interestingly, domestic brands outperformed import brands overall for the second year in a row, but it’s only the third time that’s happened since the study was first published in 1987.

“The Initial Quality Study continues to demonstrate the critical importance of automakers responding to consumer feedback regarding vehicle quality,” Sargent said. “Any automaker that stands still will quickly start to fall behind. For consumers, the great news is that significant improvements are occurring in all model segments, meaning that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a quality vehicle.”

Yes, the domestics have been getting better.... and it shows here.... but long term they have not yet caught up... I do not consider the initial quality rating much in my decision...

Take a look at this "Cost to Own" maintenance and repair graphic from Consumer Reports. Note the dozen most expensive 10 year brands aren't domestic...

Attachments

• Car.JPG
    Car.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 72
Take a look at this "Cost to Own" maintenance and repair graphic from Consumer Reports. Note the dozen most expensive 10 year brands aren't domestic...

Notice the 1st one... BMW.... zero cost for the first 3 years since you get that 'free', but that means the last 7 are a killer....

Also, most of the top are European...

I can also read into this that the domestics use cheap parts which is why they break :cool:....

I did notice Toyota was pretty low with Hyundai and Kia not far away.... Honda also showed well....

After reading your why the Malibu won't work; I still believe if your aim is truly to save money sell both cars buy a 3 year old CRV from a dealer where you can get some kind of guarantee.

I suspect you really want that new Toyota or Honda smell and there's nothing wrong with that.

I have been fortunate to drive reliable vehicles - rabbit, CRV and now a Rav 4. We almost take for granted their reliability; I still change the oil sooner then required and do my best to maintain the cars. I very much doubt you could go wrong with either.

Good luck with what ever choice you make...

Last edited:
After reading your why the Malibu won't work; I still believe if your aim is truly to save money sell both cars buy a 3 year old CRV from a dealer where you can get some kind of guarantee.
When we shopped for our CR-V, the price for one a few years old was not a big drop from a new one--most Hondas and Toyotas just don't depreciate very quickly. Since we keep them a long time, we bought a new one knowing that, over a decade or two, the cost-per-year wouldn't be much different between a slightly used one and a new one. OTOH, when I bought our Honda Pilot last year, I got a 2009, which was about 2/3rds of what a new one would have cost.

Everybody is different, but in the case of DW and I, we wouldn't want to be a one-car family. The idea of having to coordinate before going on any errand :mad:, the flexibility of being able to run to two places at one time, the ability to have a car in the shop without major inconvenience, etc. Having second car, if it is cheap and reliable, seems worth the money.

We're in the market (or will soon be) for a similar car. Our choices are between the Ford Escape and the CR-V.

I would use reliability ratings at Consumer Reports (or similar) over anecdotes.

I agree with one of the posters above that said that pretty much all the cars in the segment are great buys. Look at the electronics, safety technologies etc closely. For example, the 2017 Subaru Forester & Outback don't have Android Auto or Apple Car Play. They do plan to have it in 2018. The 2017 Ford Escape will not brake automatically if it senses an imminent collision - the honda will. Also all honda models above the base one have that technology. Same for lane guidance.

Eagerly following this thread... good info.

If I am not mistaken the Escape and the CRV both have good reviews this year. The CRV, I believe, has had consistently good reviews for several years.

I would take the CRV. Honda products hold their value. And they don't start rattling and shaking after 150K miles.

Our last experience with a new Escape....dealer replaced the transmission. They had it for just under three weeks. Cost my employer money to rent a replacement for three weeks. Drove it up to the door for me. One problem...the engine trouble light was on. Did not leave it.

Went to another dealer. Engine module this time. No parts. Called me back two weeks later. Fortunately the dealer said that there was no problem driving it with the engine light on....apparently a common problem. That is the kind of dealer service that we decided we could do without. Fortunately it was a company car, not my own.

I have no doubt that the Escape has improved dramatically. I have just found that the domestic dealerships have a cavalier attitude when it comes to service. Both GM and Ford in my experience as compared to the service that we have had at Toyota and Honda dealerships.

Last edited:
Honda products hold their value. And they don't start rattling and shaking after 150K miles.

If you sell through a private party they tend to hold their value better. If I sold privately now I could get nearly 50% of what I paid 5 years ago. At the dealership, trade in on an excellent vehicle is more like 28%.

My Civic started developing problems around 30,000 miles. Driver windshield cable fell free, but the dealership fixed it out of warranty. The rear windshield goes up or down when it feels like it sometimes. The plastic cover over the screw behind the interior door latch on a rear door rattles. Other things rattle at times.

So it's not the most well put together car out there, and it hasn't been perfectly trouble free, but I'd still bet on a Honda over a GM product.

So here is an story that is slightly out of context. At one point we had a Pontiac 6000 wagon. It needed some work that I thought should be warranty. I was going to go to nearby dealer.

My neighbour, who was in the trucking business and very familiar with the automobile industry, suggested that I take it to another dealer where he thought that I would be more successful in having the issue covered under warranty.

I asked him why. He told me that, according to his info, the GM dealer near me had exceeded their warranty budget from GM and hence I would have more of a challenge obtaining warranty work. I found this surprising. I did follow his advice, went to another dealer, and had my issue resolved under warranty.

Have no idea if this is still the case of if it is standard in the industry.

......... the GM dealer near me had exceeded their warranty budget from GM and hence I would have more of a challenge obtaining warranty work...........
I wasn't in that end of the biz at Megamotors, but I do know that they tracked the dealers' warranty claims to spot any that were significantly above average. One dealer, for instance, installed crappy after market wheels and tires on every truck, then turned in tire re-balancing and vibration warranty claims for nearly every one sold. :(

Years ago we purchased our first Toyota. After six months I noticed small rust marks on the roof. Mentioned it to the dealer. They hummed and hawed but asked me to come back on a certain day when the Toyota regional rep would be at the dealership.

We expected a fight. We had experienced a less than satisfactory experience with Volkswagen (never considered their products since).

Went back to the Toyota dealership in anticipation of an argument, etc. Met the rep, he looked at the car. Then he said when can you bring it it in. I said I am out of town a fair bit and need my car. He said no issue, tell us when you can leave it for a few days. We need to arrange a loaner car for you-a week is no issue if you use the car for work.. We will repair/paint to your satisfaction. He then gave me his card and said that if I was not happy with the work to call him.
Dropped off the car, got a loaner for a week, and time proved the remedial work to be perfect.

Since then we have purchased a couple of Celicas , Camrys and just bought a used Solara. Long term customer satisfaction. It pays dividends for the vendor and for the customer. At one point we were making a close call decision between a Maxima and a Camry. The Camry won out....because of our prior positive customer experience.

Last edited:
There's a certain corporate personality in all the automobile manufacturers. General Motors often will not admit a problem (when everyone knows there's one) until the repairs will cost'em $1 billion (or so.) They're afraid to open a can of worms.

Toyota will often address problems that don't even exist. When the supposedly had accelerator problems that were in the press, there was a dealer meeting with some of their biggest dealers. None of the dealers had the first customer with the reported problem. But Toyota did a big recall anyway. They're very afraid of litigation since they're a cash cow and have the money to make big settlements.

Honda is another company that's pretty customer driven.

Ford is middle of the road at fixing problems. Their telephone based customer service reps are trained to sell customers they're not going to help. The secret is having a general service manager at an especially honest dealership that goes to bat with the regional service rep that visits dealerships every couple of weeks. I had once such buddy that once got Ford to pay for a transmission on a van that was clearly out of warranty. I didn't even buy the van from that dealership.

There's a certain corporate personality in all the automobile manufacturers. General Motors often will not admit a problem (when everyone knows there's one) until the repairs will cost'em $1 billion (or so.) They're afraid to open a can of worms.

Leopards can't change their spots and GM will never change the way it does business. Toyota moved up the model changeover date on the Camry when Consumer Reports panned the car back in 2012 or 2013. GM would have denied there was a problem. I would never, ever buy a GM product.

Ford quality is laughable. Had a friend that replaced a radiator on an Escape that failed just out of warranty to the tune of $1,500 recently. Nothing but problems with Fix Or Replace Daily products. No Fords in my future.

Been buying Toyota since 1978 and Honda since 1984. Not perfect, but the batting average is pretty high. And the dealers are much more responsive to problems.

Ford quality is laughable. Had a friend that replaced a radiator on an Escape that failed just out of warranty to the tune of $1,500 recently. Nothing but problems with Fix Or Replace Daily products. No Fords in my future.

We were looking hard at a Ford Explorer for towing and hauling a bunch in the back, but after this exposed issue of carbon monoxide problems we're staying far away.

The biggest amount of complaints come from Police models, but there's been at least two service bulletins for gases leaking into the cabin, and a big lawsuit from owners in Florida last year. So...yikes. :facepalm:

Before I went to the dealership for my Civic to get the window repaired, I called Honda North America because while it was out of the warranty period in time, it was still well under on miles. They gave me a reference number to take the dealership to get it fixed.

I went to the dealership and explained that I called Honda North America because of the warranty issue, and they said no problem, just bring it in and they'd fix it. Never had to give them the reference number or anything.

I had a new Ford product every year for six years. Everything for Taurus to Escape through to Lincoln. One year for the Lincoln was enough...never again. The only good thing on that one was the air conditioned seats.

I never experienced any not honored warranty issues with Ford. On average, each new vehicle got returned twice within weeks of delivery. Some of the issues were clearly dealer prep issues...rad hoses not being checked/tightened, malfunctioning heater, etc. Pretty basic things. But the warranty was always honoured without hesitation. Hard not to though. We had a fleet of vehicles and it quickly became apparent what issues were common to all.

But my big issue came after any pre-delivery issues were sorted. It seemed that every warranty issue thereafter resulted in a wait for parts. Once as long as 3 weeks with no vehicle, other times just a week and then return with the vehicle when the part arrived. In most instances it took me 2 trips to the dealer, sometimes three, to resolve any warranty issue. This appeared to be the norm for the entire six years through at least three different dealerships and one Lincoln dealer.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the Escape and the CRV both have good reviews this year. The CRV, I believe, has had consistently good reviews for several years.

I would take the CRV. Honda products hold their value. And they don't start rattling and shaking after 150K miles.

Rent that CR-V for a week before buying.

Google "honda accord seats uncomfortable" and you'll find many complaints about the driver's seat in the new Accord.

One website I visit has a poster willing to take a huge hit on trade-in after a miserable experience with the driver's seat in their new 2018 Accord. I'd be concerned about the new CR-V as well.

Had a Honda for 15+ years; currently own Chevy, Dodge, Lincoln, & Subaru vehicles.

But I would look to Toyota first for my next vehicle.

OP, have you considered the RAV4?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom