NFL: 2014 Season

If you've ever thrown an NFL football you know its very hard and if you dont have huge hands its very hard to grip. You cant throw it very far and with accuracy if you cant get a good grip on it. If you take a little bit of air out its much easier to grip. The officials normally just flip the ball underhanded. They don't try to throw the ball like a QB does.

Also, I would bet that a race car driver could tell if his tires are slightly over or under inflated when the avg person has no clue unless their tire light comes on or a tire is low enough to be seen by the naked eye which would be much more than 1 PSI.

Rumor now is that Brady will be suspended for the season. Pats are "fearful of a 6-8 game suspension".

If you've ever thrown an NFL football you know its very hard and if you dont have huge hands its very hard to grip. You cant throw it very far and with accuracy if you cant get a good grip on it. If you take a little bit of air out its much easier to grip. The officials normally just flip the ball underhanded. They don't try to throw the ball like a QB does.

Also, I would bet that a race car driver could tell if his tires are slightly over or under inflated when the avg person has no clue unless their tire light comes on or a tire is low enough to be seen by the naked eye which would be much more than 1 PSI.

Rumor now is that Brady will be suspended for the season. Pats are "fearful of a 6-8 game suspension".

If they "go bigger" I would guess part of the reason will be because he did little to cooperate with investigators to teach others a lesson. I think Tommy was trying to follow Favre's playbook when there was an investigation of him allegedly shooting off pictures of little Brett. He successfully stonewalled them and only received a minimal fine out of it for refusing to cooperate if memory serves me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the season:confused:

Brady can sue the league a la Jonathon Vilma who got his one year suspension revoked.

Last edited:
So begins the Jimmy Garoppolo era ...

Tom Brady will be the highest-profile player ever suspended in the 96-year history of the NFL.

Roger Goodell’s decision is expected to be announced next week, and it is no longer a matter of if the NFL commissioner will suspend Brady, but for how long he will suspend him.

The feeling is that the Wells Report supplied Goodell with enough ammunition to suspend Brady both for breaking the rules by ordering the deflation of footballs and by not cooperating with the investigation when he refused to turn over his cell phone to Wells’ investigators.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...spend-tom-brady-deflategate-article-1.2215881

Last edited:
The news is in:

Brady suspended for 4 games.
Patriots fined $1 million
Patriots lose 2016 1st round pick and 2017 4th round pick

....and they'll still be in the Super Bowl next year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

....and they'll still be in the Super Bowl next year!

Highly unlikely. The Pats have been in one of the easiest divisions for the last decade. Buffalo and Miami have made major improvements this season. I suspect Buffalo will win the division and may have won it even if Brady didn't get suspended.

The last 4 years Brady's QB rating has him ranked:
2011- 3rd
2012-6th
2013-17th
2014-5th

He's one of the top 3 QB's of all time. Maybe the best of all time, but hes getting old and his window of greatness is closing quickly. The Pats also got hit hard in free agency on defense.

Awww I'm just messing with ya.

The news is in:

Brady suspended for 4 games.
Patriots fined $1 million
Patriots lose 2016 1st round pick and 2017 4th round pick

Hmm, the final decision was suspiciously close your initial thoughts if memory serves. Utrecht you have been officially outed, or should we say "Roger". You make 20 million a year and have no thoughts of retiring. Why are you on this forum! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the Pats ball handlers filled the balls to just meet the minimum pressure and the balls were then below the minimum threshold due to (colder) weather and/or handling, they should not be punished. But if they deflated/tampered with the balls after they were approved by the Officials, the punishment is legit.

It appears the latter was the case, and even a Pats fan like me won't buy equipment guys would do it without Brady knowing anything about it. That's damn disappointing.

We'll see how the appeal goes, but it looks like Brady may have really damaged his football legacy.

You would think they might change how balls are measured and approved after this, what's in place now will continue to result in game balls above and below PSI limits.

Last edited:
If he thinks he's guilty he should accept the suspension and move on but if he has evidence to prove that he is not he should sue the league for defamation to clear his name.

The Pats will still win the division next year and will still be the team to beat in the AFC regardless of the suspension. They've won 11 games in 2007 when Brady was hurt with Matt Cassel as their QB.

They won 11 games with Cassel the season after going 16-0 with Brady. They went 12-4 with Brady last season. They clearly aren't as good as they were in 2007-2008.

They are probably going 1-3 without Brady. They play Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Dallas. Looking at their schedule, I would say they will go 8-4 when Brady gets back which puts them at 9-7 and not winning the division, but that's what makes sports so fun. Arguing and debating with your rival teams' fans.

If he thinks he's guilty he should accept the suspension and move on but if he has evidence to prove that he is not he should sue the league for defamation to clear his name.

Suing the league would certainly give him something to do in the off-season for the next three years or so years. Besides, he'd have to give up his cell phone (or at least explain why he made all those calls to the equipment manager aka "The Deflator").

What sort of evidence could he present to prove that he was not guilty?

Last edited:
I only have heard a few reports on this.... so what do I really know:confused:

But, from what they say, Brady refused to cooperate with the investigation so they were not able to 'prove' that he was involved.... I think that is why they are using the wishy-washy language...

I still think that he WILL get punished.... just do not know how much... some on TV have commented that the rest of the NFL is looking since this is the second time NE has been caught cheating.... and if they go easy then why not do it themselves.... if that is the case, the NFL should go hard.... say a 4 game suspension (with loss of pay) and $1 mill fine for Brady and lose one or two first round draft choices along with a much larger fine for NE.... heck, I think it should be in the $10 mill range (or even higher)... this is not their first offense.... and the people who were involved with the first are also involved with this one....

Looks like I got most of it right :dance:

I just had the money fine too high....

I bet the Brady refused to cooperate with investigators is want got him the 4-gamer.

Watching Nightly News, Bob Costas made a guest appearance talking to Lester Holt. Costas did the math if the 4-gamer sticks. Then Brady's first game back would be.. against, of all teams, the Colts :LOL:

Watched an interview (CBS This Morning) discussing the Brady suspension:

Was NFL punishment for Tom Brady and Patriots too tough? - Videos - CBS News

After the appeal and a potential legal battle, there may not be much of a suspension.

To Brady's defense, if the text where on his personal phone, IMO, he has a right to say "hands off." But if that was a phone given by the Patriots or the NFL, that's a different story.

Kinda like the days of if you are using Megacorp's computer, don't expect any privacy whatsoever. I remember those days :(.

To Brady's defense, if the text where on his personal phone, IMO, he has a right to say "hands off." But if that was a phone given by the Patriots or the NFL, that's a different story.
(.

I'm kinda sure that Mr Brady doesn't need the boss to supply him with a cell phone.

But back in the day, for perfectly legal reasons way too complicated to go into here, I had a phantom phone. My company provided cell phone would bounce all calls to another cell phone. I would rarely use my company phone.

I suspect that many celebrities use a similar strategy to insure some safety and privacy against hackers or having it stolen etc.

Last edited:
I'm kinda sure that Mr Brady doesn't need the boss to supply him with a cell phone.

But back in the day, for perfectly legal reasons way too complicated to go into here, I had a phantom phone. My company provided cell phone would bounce all calls to another cell phone. I would rarely use my company phone.

I suspect that many celebrities use a similar strategy to insure some safety and privacy against hackers or having it stolen etc.

I'm thinking more in terms of property and privacy rights vs if Brady can afford his own cell phone. A comparison is hearing on the news about a year ago, where high schools were concerned about what kind of trouble the students were up to so the school asked the students to cough up their Facebook passwords :(.

Watched an interview (CBS This Morning) discussing the Brady suspension:

Was NFL punishment for Tom Brady and Patriots too tough? - Videos - CBS News

After the appeal and a potential legal battle, there may not be much of a suspension.

Kinda like the days of if you are using Megacorp's computer, don't expect any privacy whatsoever. I remember those days :(.

He has every right to keep his texts to himself.... but the NFL has every right to punish him for doing so....

There was someone on TV who said that the NFL had given Brady's attorneys an option to only turn over the texts that were related to this issue... not even all texts related to football.... but they decided to not do that... this makes him look guilty... and remember, this is not a criminal case... we only have to get to more likely than not... the NFL feels he was involved enough to punish him... he now gets to present his side on an appeal... but, if he did not produce those texts on appeal, I would keep the current punishment in place..

Before he did not know what kind of punishment he would get holding out... now he knows.... he can either cooperate or accept the punishment...

The penalty seems fair but I would like to have seen something like an asterisk in the record books or they could've taken away his SB ring. He cheated and the penalty for that has to be high so it doesn't happen again.

I think Brady cost himself the first-ballet Hall of Fame nomination. He'll still get in but he shouldn't get first pallet. First ballet is for the best of the best, not for cheaters.

What are the chances this is the first time he's done this and not just the first time he gotten caught? Not likely IMO. This damages his whole legacy similar to, though maybe not as bad as, Lance Armstrong.

We'll never know if he's had such success because of his talent or because of his cheating(along with his coaches cheating).

True, it's not a "court of law," but the NFL does have a commission to make and enforce rules and regulations. (That's why Goodell is called the Commissioner.) The owners give it authority to act on their behalf. Including the authority to investigate and make findings regarding alleged violations of NFL rules. The burden of proof here is "preponderance of the evidence"--which is widely used in virtually all courts of law in civil proceedings. That standard does not "get laughed out of court." That's the basis of Wells's "more probable than not" language.

Now back to our regular programming.
'NFL investigator says he found direct evidence against Brady':

The lawyer who investigated the New England Patriots insisted Tuesday that he found direct, not just circumstantial, evidence to show quarterback Tom Brady knew team employees were deflating footballs.

Miffed by criticism from Brady's agent, Ted Wells decided to take the unusual step of holding a conference call with reporters, a day after the NFL suspended the Super Bowl MVP for the season's first four games based on the report. Wells said his findings would have been strong enough to convince a jury under the ''preponderance of evidence'' standard, which is used in many civil cases....
Read more of that article here.

This should work...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 6
He has every right to keep his texts to himself.... ...

Perhaps he should steal a page from H's book and erase them from the server... :D

He should explore playing four games for the Montreal Alouettes, a short hour or so flight from Boston.

Back
Top Bottom