Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is surprising to me that she was able to go to Sloan Kettering for three weeks of cancer treatment and it was never reported in the press. Justice Ginsburg's health has been a topic of frequent and intense press interest for quite some time. She either gave the Fourth Estate the slip or there are still some folks with grace and decency that decided to forego the scoop and give her some privacy.

My guess is that she got away without them noticing.

Or "they" noticed but didn't report it for some unknown reason.

But I think the point why people who are hugely financially successful continue to work. While I enjoyed my work, I never understood it. Once I had enough, that was it for me.

There are lots of people who have more money than they would ever reasonably need... like Warren Buffett for example.... so why continue to work?

Some people continue to work because they find it personally fulfilling. Or their job is really helping others.

Nothing AT ALL wrong with that!

Sandra O'Connor, the first woman Justice, retired at the age of 75 to spend time with her husband who was suffering from Alzheimer. She was in good health, in contrast with the tradition of Justices serving until death or being incapacitated.

Ginsburg and the late justice Antonin Scalia were known to be close friends with polar opposite ideologies while sharing a love for the opera. In spite of their having arguments now and then, they never let it affect their friendship.

Each of them admitted that the other's dissenting opinions made them better jurists. In a statement Ginsburg released to honor Scalia after his passing she wrote, "We are different, we are one."

Hang in there as long as you want RBG.

From the articles I have read over the years, in addition to the prestige factor that others have mentioned (apex of one's profession and all that), the SC is also something of a social club. The justices apparently get on quite well with each other and their families too. RBG does not have, IIRC, a very large family of her own, just one daughter, and I think a nephew. Not sure if the daughter or nephew had any kids or not. So, there is a social factor as well. Another thing, some people really do live for their job, and cannot imagine living without it. Have no idea if she is such a person, but she may be.
I beleive she has a least a couple of kids and she does have grand kids but I don't know how many. Her mate died some years back.

This shouldn't have anything to do with politics, but the topic of why keep on is anyone guess. She loves what she does or she is very greedy and wants more and more. LOL

Third option - she doesn’t want to retire until her replacement faces a more liberal Senate. This is the modern reality. Even if every judge were completely neutral and impartial, those doing the approving and vetting are not. It isn’t *supposed* to be this way, but it is what it is. So that is ‘why’ she keeps on, in spite of the health issues.

Third option - she doesn’t want to retire until her replacement faces a more liberal Senate. This is the modern reality. Even if every judge were completely neutral and impartial, those doing the approving and vetting are not. It isn’t *supposed* to be this way, but it is what it is. So that is ‘why’ she keeps on, in spite of the health issues.

Agree. At this point, it is partly political. Even if she had retired 3 years ago, it is likely her seat would have been forced to be held open by the Senate Majority Leader, as Scalia's seat was.

Also consider that she has no spouse at home, the job is not physical, it is mental, and they are in session only part of the year. Clearly it is not about the money. From what I have read, she has lived for her causes and her work. If that's the case, why retire? The job isn't stressful-she can't be fired, she doesn't have a boss. If you are doing what you love, why quit?

Look at Stephen Hawking. He couldn't move for much of his life, yet he continued to contribute to the world.

It's amazing she has survived so many bouts of cancer and now faces another one. I've known a few people whose work was there life and without it they seem to lose their identity and feeling of self worth. More power to her and I hope she can be like a cat with nine lives.

Some people continue to work because they find it personally fulfilling. Or their job is really helping others.

Nothing AT ALL wrong with that!

And you don't rise to the level of Supreme Court Justice without your career being your life's passion. If my career had been my life's passion, I'd probably still be working instead of posting on this forum.

She either gave the Fourth Estate the slip or there are still some folks with grace and decency that decided to forego the scoop and give her some privacy.

Grace and decency in political media? That's obviously not it. She must have hid it well.

The Notorious RBG will be remembered long after you and I are feeding the worms and forgotten by all.

She might be remembered, but she'll still be DEAD.........

All I know is what I read on a Wikipedia article, but pancreatic cancer sounds like the patient usually has a lifespan measured in months. Perhaps I misunderstood or misinterpreted what I wrote.

If Justice Ginsberg were simply a political animal, she would have bailed out when her political allies were in a position to appoint a successor in her own mold. She obviously chose not to do so. We can speculate as to why (personal reasons, etc.), but I will toss out another possibility. The choice to keep going may in part have been due to not wanting to make the court more influenced by political considerations.

I don't agree with much of her political agenda, but I can't help respect a lifetime of service in the court.

All I know is what I read on a Wikipedia article, but pancreatic cancer sounds like the patient usually has a lifespan measured in months. Perhaps I misunderstood or misinterpreted what I wrote.

I think it's because Pancreatic Cancer is usually only detected far later, past the stages where surgery or even chemotherapy can really be effective at prolonging life (ie to enter remission). There are also different variations - Steve Jobs lived for 8 years after his initial diagnosis.

The "3-4 months" thing is more from the most common types, and with late diagnoses due to late onset of symptoms.

<<It is the peak of the profession; she and the other justices are shaping the course of the law for years to come, and I might be reluctant to relinquish that as well.>>

I would guess she doesn't look at her "job" or "career", anything like the rest of us do. To continue into your 80s, it is more of a calling. She was only the second female justice appointed. I believe she stays for the good of our country and her voice in history. The requirements of the "job" are likely not that strenuous.

With regard to why there were no reports on her health... my thoughts are not as cynical as others. Given she has already fought cancer in the past year, she probably still sees a lot of doctors and frequent checkups would be considered somewhat normal.

I don't believe it is unusual for a Supreme Court Judge, or indeed quite a few Federal Judges to work until they are carried out.

IMHO, there are a number of factors which come into play. We have discussed in other threads the identification of one's self with one's profession. I have to imagine it is very strong with the Federal Judges, who are appointed for life. It is one of the most prestigious positions in the Country.

They are looked-up to, they have staff, including highly educated law secretaries who (depending upon the judge) assist greatly in drafting their decisions within the judge's oversight and approval. They have Court officers, special entrances, personal secretaries, etc. They enjoy hearing the most brilliant legal minds in the Country coming before them to "argue." It is not a physically demanding job. They are treated with enormous respect and Supreme Court Justices are intimately involved in shaping the Country's future.

For OP, I don't believe that it is about the money. As far as working with cancer, this gives her another focus.

Last edited:
Mark Twain said: "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

RBG knows why she was born. Her interpretation of the law and constitution is obviously important. I'd be long gone dealing with her health issues. Politics aside RBG and Justice Scalia were great friends.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom