Something Had a Hold of My Internet Connection

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Experienced an odd occurrence with my broadband connection today. Did my daily surfing in the morning, reading the news, going here, Facebook and such. Then took a break to do some housework. When came back to do my afternoon surfing (yeah, a lot of time online), something had a hold of my internet connection.

I could see the lights on the router and hard drive indicator flickering. Instead of restarting the router and cable modem, I shut down the PC. As soon as I did that, I could connect no probably with my phone. When I rebooted the PC, the router/hard disk lights started flickering again and I couldn't connect. Then I shut down again and could connect with my smartphone.

I then expected to see a ransomware screen or something pop up but didn't wait to find out. Each day around 7 in the morning, I have an image backup of my system done so reverted back to that. In 3 minutes time, restored and back to the way things are since the morning.

But, the lockup was strange.

Maybe you have some updates taking place on your modem, router, or SW on your PC.

Is wireless enabled on your router? Perhaps someone nearby was using it?

Maybe you have some updates taking place on your modem, router, or SW on your PC.

That's my guess - possibly your latest birthday present from Mr. Gates..... now it has to start over :rolleyes:

It could be that your router was assigning the same internal IP address to both devices. I had that happen a while back. A friend's smart phone conflicted with my web cam. Sometimes the web cam would be inaccessible, sometimes the smart phone would be very sluggish.

That's my guess - possibly your latest birthday present from Mr. Gates..... now it has to start over :rolleyes:

Very well might be. Well, I'm off to do some grocery shopping so when I come back, I'll see if I have a working computer or not :(.

Today is the monthly Microsoft update day, I started Ms G @ 6am it seemed to take until 11am.

Back
Top Bottom