SW Florida 2019 E-R.org get-together

Me too. Loved all the good conversations. If you host again maybe this interloper from dc can make the next one!

2019 E-R.org get-together a SUCCESS!

Fourteen smiling faces met at the appointed hour today. We had a blast, meeting old friends and making new ones. :greetings10:

Light-hearted conversations covered a wide variety of topics from OMY, ACA, vacation travels, real estate, prior E-R gatherings, to home security ;).

Having a private room was well-received and added to the comfort of the attendees.

Thanks simple girl for the planning assistance.:flowers:

Thanks, everyone, for showing up. Hope to see you all next year!

omni

PS: Beer-man -- we missed you. :confused:

Last edited:
A few pix... (no idea why the last one is rotated 90 degrees.)

Attachments

• ER lunch1 2.24.19.jpg
    ER lunch1 2.24.19.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 69
  • ER lunch7 2.24.19.jpg
    ER lunch7 2.24.19.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 63
  • ER lunch5 2.24.19.jpg
    ER lunch5 2.24.19.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 56
  • ER lunch6 2.24.19.jpg
    ER lunch6 2.24.19.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
A huge thank you to omni and simple girl for organizing this event... our third year. It was great to see everyone and the private room worked out great.

My house wasn't robbed either.... and I've been wanting to replace that HDTV with a bigger one.... better luck next year. :confused:

SarasotaCycler -

What's the name of the seafood place you recommended that is very laid back? In Sarasota? Was it Walt's?

What are the security hazards that you don't speak of?

There are too many to list - not just publicizing that you are going to be away from home. My concern is hardly controversial - here is a link to a brief article on this topic: https://securityintelligence.com/five-tips-to-stay-safe-on-social-media-while-traveling/

I'm glad that everyone (apparently) had a good time despite the lax security precautions. I expect that next year there will be two beefy guys wearing earpieces posted outside the meeting room door. :D

If you lock down your Facebook to friends only for privacy settings (ie no friends of friends) you can greatly reduce all of the social media risks outlined in the article you linked.

Since the Er.org site doesn’t have names or addresses I don’t see how disclosing the location and time of a 2 hour get together poses any real risk.

But it’s your choice of course....

Since the Er.org site doesn’t have names or addresses I don’t see how disclosing the location and time of a 2 hour get together poses any real risk.

Bad guys armed with the appropriate tools and level of interest can easily obtain this info, not from er.org but by watching who arrives and departs the meeting site. I'm not going to say anything more to avoid giving anyone any ideas. :greetings10:

I have argued in the past that the person who organizes these meetings should collect the names of attendees but not publicize the (1) date, (2) time, (3) meeting place, or (4) attendance list. Instead, this should be done via PM only. Any other approach represents an unacceptable security hazard.

Wouldn't it probably be a waste of time breaking into the house of guest #14?

Attendance list:
1 Beer-man
2&3 Pb4uski +1
4 Dtail
5 Lagniappe
6&7 simple girl +1
8&9 harley +1
10 sarasotacycler
11 BeachOrCity
12 Luvdogs
13 omni
14 LiveBelowMeans

It was so nice to meet and chat at this get together. Thanks to Omni550 and Simple Girl for setting this up. The private room worked out great!

Wouldn't it probably be a waste of time breaking into the house of guest #14?

Attendance list:
1 Beer-man
2&3 Pb4uski +1
4 Dtail
5 Lagniappe
6&7 simple girl +1
8&9 harley +1
10 sarasotacycler
11 BeachOrCity
12 Luvdogs
13 omni
14 LiveBelowMeans

Beer-man did not attend. Perhaps he was casing all our houses for future visits.

... I'm glad that everyone (apparently) had a good time despite the lax security precautions. I expect that next year there will be two beefy guys wearing earpieces posted outside the meeting room door. :D

No worries with concealed carry and stand your ground. Make my day! :D

There are too many to list - not just publicizing that you are going to be away from home. My concern is hardly controversial - here is a link to a brief article on this topic: https://securityintelligence.com/five-tips-to-stay-safe-on-social-media-while-traveling/

I'm glad that everyone (apparently) had a good time despite the lax security precautions. I expect that next year there will be two beefy guys wearing earpieces posted outside the meeting room door. :D

If no one reading this thread knows my real name - how is it a risk to my home being burglarized while I am gone?

Beer-man did not attend. Perhaps he was casing all our houses for future visits.

Sorry all still working and the day was sandwiched right in the middle of a string of night shifts. Casing houses? Jeez, paranoid group

Back
Top Bottom