To Eat out or Not to Eat out, That is the question.

Eating out, do you do it frequently and enjoy doing so?

• Yes

Votes: 106 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • We mostly eat at home and prefer to do so

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • We enjoy an occasional meal out, but not regularly

Votes: 108 41.7%

• Total voters
There's a difference between an actual sushi restaurant and the "made in bulk" rolls with fake glued-together fish scraps you get at cheap places.

If you are selling true "sashimi" - various fish cuts and fillets which are sliced in-house by a chef - ALL such fish in the U.S. is only sold frozen, with the exception of tuna. It's federal law, and has been for decades.

That’s correct, you just don’t know if a given sushi place is following those rules. And there is a lot of black market sushi, illegal stuff, mislabeling fish, etc.

So you really have to figure out what is a reputable sushi restaurant.

I am living in Thailand and I eat out about half the time. Typical Thai street food and small restaurants are 4-5 times less expensive than in the US and the meals are incredibly good. Cheap food in the US is (charitably) “not good”.

We mostly eat at home, I’m a good cook and enjoy preparing dinner daily for my love. I detest chain restaurants and can’t remember the last time I stepped foot in one. When we vacation we try to find places where the locals eat. I still travel occasionally for work to the same cities and have my go to places, usually small great back alley mom and pop shops that specialize in one or two things.

One big reason we retired to Europe was the food. I mean this in the sense that food quality is far healthier in Europe than in the US. The US corporate culture has resulted in a food quality that is so unhealthy it is dangerous to eat. We settled in Hungary which still farms the traditional ays. Animals are all free range and there are no GMO’s permitted at all. Pesticide use is limited to only short acting so not present on products. If you buy bread, cheese, milk etc. it is going to expire in a few days not weeks or months as in the US because there are no preservatives or chemical additives. I will add that I worked as a cook professionally before becoming entering the military and becoming a PhD microbiologist so have a wealth of experience on the inside of US food preparation. I also commanded food inspection units in the military so know the quality issues from inspecting local procurements at various places around the world. I also have experience working with food engineers who design food products such as in store baked items in the US. Believe me you wouldn’t eat any of this stuff if you knew what was actually in them. Restaurants buy the cheapest quality they can get away with. In the US it is all about profit and nothing about health. I believe this is the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US and the restaurant industry is a large contributing factor. It is better in Europe but we believe that we can control this aspect of risk by cooking everything ourselves.

That said, both my wife and I are excellent cooks and we eat out maybe 3 times a year usually by invitation from friends. The best restaurant is our own home and we enjoy cooking for each other. That is not to say there aren’t excellent and cheap restaurants here. We simply prefer to eat at home. We have raised our levels of cooking expertise to high and because my wife is Russian and spent many years performing professional expeditions to monitor chemical pollution, pesticide levels etc. in what are now former Soviet Republics (the ‘stans). I also spent roughly 5 years working in some of the same places although I spent some time in South America and 6 years living in Germany, all part of the military. Anyway, we both have our own preferred cuisines to cook. I cook German, Irish, American, Japanese, Indian, Thai, Italian and Chinese. She cooks Russian, Georgian, Central Asian and British. Sometimes it is difficult to get ingredients here such as cilantro but we have found ways to get around the issue.

Another big thing we do is make our own fermented products which include sauerkraut, pickled tomatoes (which we grow in our garden), pickles, yogurt, and some cheese. My wife also loves to make jams and because in Europe fruits and berries are still seasonal when the time comes and a particular product such as strawberries or raspberries we buy them up and can as much as we can. We also have sour cherry, apricots, sweet cherries, and black currant in our garden and our neighbors have apples, etc. so we get an awful lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Our region is a major wine production area and produces excellent wines and many of our neighbors bottle small home grown vintages which we get as gifts.

Because Hungary (as in all former Soviet countries who are now a part of the EU) is considered not equal to others in the EU, there is little export anymore so the government here subsidizes farming to keep the farming at a traditional (and healthy) level. The benefits are we have excellent food quality and very little is brought in from the larger countries like Germany, Netherlands, etc. When you see this stuff it is at dumping prices and Hungarians avoid it as much as possible. We see nothing at all from the US. The same situation exists in Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, and Latvia none of who have benefited from membership in the EU with regards to exporting food products to other partners in the EU. It varies a bit from one to the other but in general these countries have healthier food products because fo these restrictions. We get a lot of tourists from Germany and the Netherlands who rave about the quality of the food.

This is a bit off topic, but anyone try those delivery services that put together all the ingredients (spices, meat/fish, veg) and you prepare it at home in 10 minutes following the recipe? I think you can pick a weeks worth of meals.

We did it for 6 weeks, as I wanted to try it and we had $20 off per week coupon plus Amex gave me $20 .

It was fun to try, but the recipes do take 2x what they say, perhaps if you did one recipe 5 times, it would get faster.

I did notice a strong repetition in the meals over a 4 week period (I had suspended service over Christmas weeks) so I could see the same meals came up repeatedly.

I did learn some new tricks to cooking.. and have used them since to make my a few of my ordinary meals better.

It was expensive, probably costs about 3x what you would spend for the same amount of stuff over time in regular grocery stores.

I did add my own potatoes to the given ones when doing roasted diced potatoes, as they didn't give enough for us as 2 hungry people.

Their recipes are all online, and available to read, and print out, so anybody can make their meals, it was really helpful when they sent me the wrong meat for a meal and the wrong recipe.

This is a bit off topic, but anyone try those delivery services that put together all the ingredients (spices, meat/fish, veg) and you prepare it at home in 10 minutes following the recipe? I think you can pick a weeks worth of meals.

For most of our meals that we cook at home, we use the Home Chef meal service. We pick out the meals a week ahead of time for delivery on Wed -Fri of the following week. There is a varied number of meals each week. We stay on the healthy side, as the protein, carbs, fat, sodium is listed for each meal.

We still have to do all the prep work like cut the veggies, sauces from scratch, etc.
We find the food to be fresh and tasty. The portions are medium in volume, but do typically take 25-50 minutes to cook. The price is $10 per person/serving. For meat dishes, the DGF and I split the meal.

i voted no , which is not completely correct ( but might be accurate in the future )

as some would know i am on a cocktail on medications which can conflict with some foods ( garlic , citric acid , some lettuce , am on reduced sodium AND potassium intakes , no alcohol , no coffee etc etc . )

after a meal out last weekend having a simple BLT ( bistro style ) having to avoid the sauce , all the lettuce were fancy varieties , so best avoided , a brave plunge hoping the bacon wan't overly salted .. i came to the conclusion it is just too hard ( and potentially dangerous )

i guess i will have to expand my home-cooking creativity ( and keep the phone close )

DW loves to shop, prep and cook. I don't. Our favorite date night is her prepping and cooking while I sit at the kitchen bar, and keep her wine glass full. I do the clean up. We do go out to our local favorite spots when time or energy aren't there. We always sit at the bar since the service is better and we enjoy the activity there. While the food and drinks are fine, they frequently don't compare to what we have at home and the prices seem to be increasingly unreasonably. Like others there are certainly things that are easier to go out for than make. "Fine dining" out is rare since it is more often than not disappointing. We would rather enjoy a good meal at home with friends than out.

and Number 8, I really don't want to worry about bumping elbows with the party sitting next to me or hear every word of conversation from complete strangers.

Oof. Once DH and I went out for our anniversary to one of the most raved-about places in town, pricey for the area, Anthony Bourdain liked it, etc.

The tables were thisclose together, and we ended up next to a table where sat a guy we had worked with before (and his date). He didn't recognize us, since he was a lofty VP and we were just engineer peons, but he was a total jackass when we'd worked with him (behavior was fine at dinner). It didn't ruin the dinner, but it really didn't help. Moving tables was not possible, since there were only like 10 in the place and they were all occupied.

We're both really good cooks, and most of what we could get at restaurants we can make better at home. We're still w*rking, so there's still too much deli food from the grocery store on the weekends, and we tend to get pizza or something on Friday nights. In ER this will almost certainly change, there won't be the "I'm exhausted after the work week and just can't cook".

Since retiring we have learned where all the good happy hours food and drink are. Many offers for this between 3-6.
Please share some of your happy hour favorites. We have a Yardhouse in our town and they have great half-price appetizers and discounts on beer from 3-6.

Last edited:
The US corporate culture has resulted in a food quality that is so unhealthy it is dangerous to eat.

I also have experience working with food engineers who design food products such as in store baked items in the US. Believe me you wouldn’t eat any of this stuff if you knew what was actually in them. Restaurants buy the cheapest quality they can get away with. In the US it is all about profit and nothing about health. I believe this is the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US and the restaurant industry is a large contributing factor.

Another big thing we do is make our own fermented products which include sauerkraut, pickled tomatoes (which we grow in our garden), pickles, yogurt, and some cheese.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing. I have been saying for years that much of the food supply in the US is designed to maximize profits, and that usually comes at the expense of human health. In fact there is a multi-billion dollar industry whose main goal it is to spread misleading information about the supposed health benefits of many of those mass-produced pseudo-food products. And if you think the government will protect you, think again, because the agrifood lobby uses their clout to influence what the govt. tells us to eat, through groups such as the American Heart Association, and the American Diabetes Association.

We live in the US, but some years ago we decided to try to get as much of our food (real food) as possible from sources that we trust. So, we now get most of our meat and eggs from local farmers (grass-fed beef, lamb, farm-raised chickens and eggs). As for vegetables, I grow a big veggie garden which supplies about half of our veggies, and when possible we try to get the rest from farmers markets, rather than the grocery store. We also make our own wines from wild fruits that I pick locally. We do buy some things from the store that I can't grow or that cannot be grown around here, but we try to minimize it.

I also agree with you that a lot of the chronic diseases people are dealing with are either the result of, or at least made worse through, consumption of these unhealthy, ultra-processed pseudo foods. If people would eat more unprocessed foods and less processed pseudo-foods, we would all be a lot healthier as a society. Many people are consuming pseudo-foods now that were totally unfamiliar to our grandparents, and yet we think nothing of it.

That’s correct, you just don’t know if a given sushi place is following those rules. And there is a lot of black market sushi, illegal stuff, mislabeling fish, etc. So you really have to figure out what is a reputable sushi restaurant.

People are at greater risk of getting sick from e.coli from contaminated produce than they are of bacterial infections from sashimi.

Living in one of the "worlds food capitals", we dine out regularly. We have a FT housekeeper/nanny/cook who prepares meals for the children and I will eat breakfast and occasionally lunch in the house. Wife is never home and normally eats out for lunch or her Boss will cook for her. Weekends we go out to restaurants as a family and we bring the help along for a nice meal.

We eat dinner out at least 4 or 5 times per week, sometimes 7. We'll have breakfast out once or twice during weeks we are home. Restaurants are our largest regular expense (though we spent more on home improvements in the past year).

We love food and enjoy variety. There are more than 100 local restaurants on a list that we keep. We'll visit a few of our favorites 2 or 3 times monthly but most are less often. When we travel, trying new restaurants is as important to us as sightseeing.

We like it all: ethnic, American, burgers, pizza, haute cuisine, mom and pop, chains. The quality and taste are much more important than the setting.

While we are good cooks, we prefer driving to prep and cleanup. I get restless if we don't get out of the house frequently. Home cooking is certainly good but it's hard to maintain the variety we like. We would find it very difficult to live anywhere but in a fairly large metropolis.

I also do not necessarily enjoy dining out. Some people thrive on it. I am by no means a foodie and everyone's food tastes different in their mouth's. With that said, I would rather just cook in, and one reason we VRBO with kitchen's when travelling. It's quicker, IMHO but arguably easier, cheaper, and usually yields the best tasting food.

Downfalls are the effort to prepare, the lack of available ingredients and the same dining setting over and over. I honestly could care less if I am eating in a rain forest or on a beach or in my kitchen, but admit it is nice to get the Oceanside dining time and again.

Usually I am not impressed with service but I don't do the super fancy establishments...with exception...I've done a few here and there in my life... Mamas Fish House on Maui...a little courtyard place my grandma's step-son rented the entire damn courtyard out...with waiters tucking in napkins for me...that was odd, Manny's steak house, Ichiban, Fogo De Chao...those are about as spendy as I get.

We don't like it, so we don't do it.

We do it as a break for DW who is an excellent cook. She is often disappointed with her meals out but I always defer to her for the choice of restaurant. We will eat out whenever she wants. Otherwise I will go alone with buddies.

The only breaks she gets is in BBQ and it is amazing how much you can cook with the side burner. I am the cleanup man though and this is a huge treat for her.

I love eating out and we do so 2 or 3 times a week, usually for breakfast or lunch, rarely in the evenings these days. Plenty of local cafes and restaurants here, I can't remember the last time we ate at a fast food place. We'll be heading out in a few minutes to a garden centre near us to shop for for gardening stuff but they also have an excellent cafeteria style restaurant with meals and snacks cooked on premise using locally grown meats and produce.

We are keen walkers but these days we walk or hike shorter distances and always prefer to plan a walk with a cafe on route rather than pack sandwiches.

Generally we eat at home unless we are travelling. Our trips tend be food centric. We skip the museums and spend the day planning our meals and wine choices or wandering markets.

We do not routinely eat out, but while traveling it is a way to sample local cuisine.

I spent yesterday bar-hopping in San Sebastian, and if you don't like to sample pintxos and wash them down with a local beer and txakoli, then do not come to San Sebastian.

By the way, the old town quarter of San Sebastian was very clean and safe. It was nothing like Paris, London, or San Francisco. I am not one who likes crowded places, but San Sebastian is an exception.

I live in France. What was the question again? :LOL:

Seriously: We go out to eat most Fridays and perhaps every second Saturday. Twice a year or so we splurge at a "fine dining" place (where the tasting menu is $100 or so). We don't worry about calories or salt because the other 19 or 20 meals of the week we prepare ourselves.

In the 1980s I travelled a lot for work, with a generous expense account. So I would get home on Friday night and just want soup or eggs or something, while DW would want to go out for "a nice meal". Hotel/restaurant food gets heavy after about 3 days.

We are extraordinarily lucky to live a 2-minute walk (about 200 feet in a straight line; their New Year's fireworks sometimes fall in our yard) from a restaurant that is regularly in the top 10 of our town (population 350,000). Musauer Stuebel Here (in French) you can see the chefs preparing their take on Beef Wellington, with foie gras of course. This main course(*) lists for €32.95, which is at the high end of the scale round here (although it does include tax and tip).

(*) I've been pleased to note, over my past few visits to the US, that the unbelievably wrong use of the word "entrée" to mean "main dish" seems to be finally going out of fashion!

Last edited:
We only eat out for things that are really difficult or time consuming to make at home (sushi) or produce lots of odors (Indian food), and so on.

Even high quality frozen pizzas are regularly $5-6 around here. A similar pizza from a chain would be $13 plus tip, delivery, tax etc. and involves a long wait and often wrong/warm pie deliver. Can't remember the last time we ordered out pizza.

Even high quality frozen pizzas are regularly $5-6 around here. A similar pizza from a chain would be $13 plus tip, delivery, tax etc. and involves a long wait and often wrong/warm pie deliver. Can't remember the last time we ordered out pizza.

We like Aldi 4 meat supreme Pizza, $2.46, then DW puts Addies on it, makes it in a great meal. Addies include, Mushrooms, Olives, Peppers and anything else she decides to add.

Back
Top Bottom