To those still working--are you at the zenith to your career?

WhoDares, let's embrace the place! :) I'm right there with you!
I have the same rather checkered (albeit interesting) job history.

About the same, we call it the "ski slope career", I'm going downhill fast, laid off twice as tech continues to consolidate, pretty much need to make what I've got last, at my age the prospect of getting a gig at a start up of small tech co is nil (why hire someone who is 50 when the work force is teeming with 30 somethings)......it was fun while it lasted.

You sound a lot more like my sister.... she was in tech and got laid off when one of the contracts was cancelled.... so they told her she was on her 60 days... before the 60 was up, they got a new contract and went out and hired some young people... but still said goodbye to my sister...

She did admit that her skill set was 'old' and that she did not want to learn anything new... so retired at 54... and I think loving it...

In many ways it is sort of freeing as I don't care and don't have to play the bullshit that is often associated with moving up. I am high enough in the company structure that I don't have to worry about retribution if I piss someone off (unless it is the board!) so I feel I can just do my job the way I want and finish it out without ever implementing "the Peter Principle'.

Anybody else feel that way? That they are as high in their job as they will ever go? If so, how do you feel about it?

I am definitely at the zenith of my career. I was in charge of a large department, one of three nationwide. As technology improved I was sent out to close and consolidate the other two data centers, and the j*b that was once my sole responsibility was now split into three sectors. With this split in the responsibilities my hopes for any continued upward mobility vanished. I now have less responsibility and less travel, offset by a larger salary and tedium.

Am I ok? Well once I decided that my w*rk did not define me, and that my family and friends came first, it totally changed my outlook. I'm ok with calling it a j*b now, where at one time it was my career. Earlier this year I turned in my retirement date, and while I may be there for another 20 months, 20 days, 12 hours and 59 minutes, I no longer worry about playing the game. What a feeling of freedom!

I am just starting a new career from scratch, since I got a little disillusioned with my last career. In my last career, I felt that I had no room to grow. :banghead: Since I'm still in my early 30s, I hope to stick with the new career for another 10 to 20 years. We should definitely be FI by then.

That's my plan, at least. When I started my last job, I thought I'd be doing it for at least 5 years, but bailed in year 3.

(wow, that's a lot of "career" talk for the FIRE forum!) :hide:

*sigh* I thought I would run out the clock here for the next 3 years, but now I am having serious second thoughts. No raises for the next 2 years, the workload is spiralling upward, and management has upshifted from "insulting" to "abusive.". It might be time to find somewhere else to find the next 3 years.

In order to go to the next level (partner) I have to buy my way in, and frankly I don't think it is a good investment for me! It is an excellent company but the return is out of sync with when I want to retire. That in combination with what I see as a lot more stress for not really that much more money---I honestly think I would decline. I have talked to my friends in associated firms (and here) that are at that level and I just don't like the terms that they had to agree to. Then I see the stress they have, and right now that level is the one that is taking it in the shorts financially to keep firms afloat. Now granted in good times that is the level that also makes the big bucks but I don't see the good times coming back robustly before I retire (2015 or 16).
It sounds like you're saying that you don't want to make a risky long-term investment with money that you're going to want to use for retirement in a few years... seems like smart asset allocation to me.

In the military, unless you're a four-star admiral the "career zenith" was what happened when you failed to promote. Everything after that involved a [-]death spiral[/-] lower orbit... I won't torture that analogy any further.

My last couple years in megacorp it was assumed I wanted the next level. Was able to grow my group and recieved alot of visibility within the company. What I never needed to say was that "there was no way I wanted my bosses job".

The board had replaced the president and now my boss was under the thumb of a new VP ... metered like a lab rat. Very petty things like timecard changes and travel expense mistakes were charted. He received a couple "UNSAT" ratings on his annual review. Was no longer able to do the job he loved.

I guess it is correct to say that I'm where I want to be, as well. I never wanted a corporate job and I don't want to own my own business, so this job represents, if not the zenith of my abilities, the intersection of what I'm willing to give up in exchange for that check every couple of weeks.
During my "tragic years" (e.g. when I was still wor*ing, but still a member of MegaCorp), I felt exactly as you do, today.

My father was the "creator" of many failed business opportunities along the way (therefore, I decided to work for someone else at an early age, and let them take the risk). I was happy for many years just to be a "salaryman"...

Nothing wrong with that at all, IMHO :whistle: . I still was able to retire (not early, but before the age of 60) at the same net income of my "accumulation years". I would have rather contribute "my intelligence" to preparing for retirement (e.g. investments and a retirement plan) rather than for the success of others, or some monolithic company.

I feel I came out ahead of the game, after all the cards were done dealing...

rescueme, my dad is also a failed entrepreneur and I'm sure that contributed to my desire for the salaryman's role as well. I have so many other interests besides work that I can't imagine devoting any more bandwidth to the job than I currently do.

I'm definitely at the zenith. I've been in a corporate VP role for ten years. When approached about entering an executive training program to prepare me for the next step (President/CEO) I told them "we needed to talk". I informed them I want to be part of the five-year plan, but don't count on me for the ten year...response was "but you're not old enough to retire!"

We'll see...:LOL:

And you have time to post here (in the middle of the day)?
Get back to wo*k >:D ....
Hey, have a little consideration for the poor employees who can get their own work done while their career-zenith bosses are distracting themselves with this board...

Hey, have a little consideration for the poor employees who can get their own work done while their career-zenith bosses are distracting themselves with this board...
Are you saying that we have a "boss from Hel*" represented here :cool: ? ...

Are you saying that we have a "boss from Hel*" represented here :cool: ? ...

He seems to fit the mold, assuming he isn't really a 16 YO girl posting from her mom's basement in Missoula.

He's stuck in a airport on his Smartphone, and is on his way back from a taping of "Undercover Boss"...............;)

:LOL: Actually, I'm off today, (burning vacation days- have to use 'em or lose 'em) then traveling the rest of this week. :(

See you again next Monday...>:D

He seems to fit the mold, assuming he isn't really a 16 YO girl posting from her mom's basement in Missoula.

Yep, I'd probably be your worst nightmare as a boss, even worse than all the others you've told us about. ;) (Unless, of course you are really a 16 YO girl posting from her mom's basement in Missoula.):LOL:

Yep, I'd probably be your worst nightmare as a boss, even worse than all the others you've told us about.

I'm thinking how interesting it would be to have a brewski with some of your subordinates;)

I was in management for years. The zenith of my career was when I found a job making more money without having to supervise anyone.

I'm thinking how interesting it would be to have a brewski with some of your subordinates;)

I bet his many former subordinates would be even more entertaining to chat with.

As I was asked to assume larger and larger amounts of administrative/management roles I definitely lost a step or two from my medical skills. That made me unhappy but to set the process in reverse is all but impossible.

Definitely a contributor to my decision to FIRE.

I went as far as I could without being a political appointee who would have to survive a confirmation vote (which is as far as the average white, heterosexual, non-Hispanic male with no political connections was likely to get under the administration of that time). My personal goal had been the position just below that level, and it sucked. The unasked-for promotion past that point was the kiss of death to the last bits of enjoyment I had in my career.

For those still working, whether at the zenith or not, what is the drug of choice to help endure the pain? Morphine?

I went as far as I could without being a political appointee who would have to survive a confirmation vote (which is as far as the average white, heterosexual, non-Hispanic male with no political connections was likely to get under the administration of that time). My personal goal had been the position just below that level, and it sucked. The unasked-for promotion past that point was the kiss of death to the last bits of enjoyment I had in my career.

Leonidas, I agree. Sometimes the only thing worse than not getting what you want is getting what you think you wanted. :(

Back
Top Bottom