What are you listening to in the car these days?

I listen to Ray Lucia Show (Business Talk Radio). When Phil's Gang comes on, I switch to some music station (usually pop), or switch to my karaoke CD and sing really really loud (after making sure all my windows are rolled up).

Satellite radio is really nice when you do a lot of cross country driving as you can listen to what you want and not try to find a local channel out on the middle of nowhere that drops out after a couple of hours......

That's why I originally got mine almost 3 years ago. Shortly after that, I bought the 'boom-box' for it also, so I could listen out in the gardens when I'm tending to things...and also in the workshop (where I have an external antenna permanently mounted).
music-smiley-011.gif

Books on tape. Hemingway, John Irving, Faulkner, Janet Evanovitch, Kafka, Hesse, Lawrence, Michener, Philip Roth, Joseph Heller, whatever I can find at the library that seems half decent.

News radio and classic rock.

The new car I bought last week has Sirius radio, and for some reason it works. I enjoyed listening to some jazz on it today. But I don't plan to pay for it, so I feel a little guilty. Only a little. :D

The new car I bought last week has Sirius radio, and for some reason it works.

I think most cars these days come with the satelite radio turned on for 3-4 months. If you want to continue after that you have to pay the monthly fee.

I think most cars these days come with the satelite radio turned on for 3-4 months. If you want to continue after that you have to pay the monthly fee.

Oh, OK!! Thanks for the info. Then I don't need to feel guilty about "stealing radio" or something. :)

Oh, OK!! Thanks for the info. Then I don't need to feel guilty about "stealing radio" or something. :)

Yeah its the lure to get you to subscribe to that awesome programing. I think thats how the world works anymore. Fight the good fight. ;)

Sirius/XM will start calling you shortly before your 3-month free subscription expires, to try to talk you into signing up for their standard package, at about $15/month as I recall (maybe higher now). We said no, we weren't interested, and they then offered a very similar package for about $9/month. We took that, for another 3 months, and will see what kind of deal we can get at the end of that period. You have to threaten to cancel, or you won't get their best rate. Also, be careful if you sign up for any package that automatically renews after the trial period is over, at a much higher rate (most of them are like that, I think). If you do that, you have to remember to call them before the trial period is up to renegotiate a new deal, or you will be automatically renewed at a price you probably won't like.

Sirius/XM will start calling you shortly before your 3-month free subscription expires, to try to talk you into signing up for their standard package, at about $15/month as I recall (maybe higher now). We said no, we weren't interested, and they then offered a very similar package for about $9/month. We took that, for another 3 months, and will see what kind of deal we can get at the end of that period. You have to threaten to cancel, or you won't get their best rate. Also, be careful if you sign up for any package that automatically renews after the trial period is over, at a much higher rate (most of them are like that, I think). If you do that, you have to remember to call them before the trial period is up to renegotiate a new deal, or you will be automatically renewed at a price you probably won't like.

Thanks, RAE! I think that in my case I'll just decline all packages because I don't drive that much. I average just 3900 miles per year. So, there really wouldn't be enough time to enjoy a package very much. It's good to know that I can expect these calls, though.

I don't have Sirius radio. Just wondering if those that do listen to Howard. I'm assuming he's still on there. Haven't heard much about him lately.

I kinda miss him in a wierd way. Yeah, he got on my last nerve at times, but other times...funny as hell.

Most often I listen to silence, sometimes some 60s folk music or hammer dulcimer or All Things Considered. About two weeks ago I stumbled on a fantastic choir CD, cross between church music & New Age. Got very hooked on the sound. Libera

Mostly public radio or classical music station. The three discs in my car are Andrea Bocelli, Cecilia Bartoli, and Learning Italian on the Go. Although I am not getting very far on the Italian. Music is much easier!

When we are "home," I listen to the local Jass music station (KUVO 89.3) but don't spend much time in the car -- runs for grocery would be a long trip.

On the road, I would find the local Jazz or C&W station if we are in large city for any length of time. Most of our "vehicle" time, however, is spent in the great wide-open radio wilderness where searching for a new station every half hour is the norm. I have overcome that problem by running any of various devices through the car radio:

A Sansa Fuze -- has a 800 song personal playlist (in .WAV format.)

A Slacker "Ultra-Portable" -- an off-line "Personal Radio Station" (see below) player.

My Blackberry Storm2 tuned into any of several "personalized" radio stations. Examples are: Pandora and Slacker.

The Blackberry also gives me access to "streamed" radio. Examples are: Radio Companion and iheartradio.

These devices allow me to listen to very high-quality sound through the "surround sound" speakers in the vehicle with the added advantage of not taking my eyes off the road searching for a radio station. (A behavior as dangerous, IMHO, as "texting" while driving.)

These devices allow me to listen to very high-quality sound through the "surround sound" speakers in the vehicle with the added advantage of not taking my eyes off the road searching for a radio station. (A behavior as dangerous, IMHO, as "texting" while driving.)

Yes, that can be pretty dangerous. I have been trying to find radio stations to program into my new car's radio. So far I have only done that at stoplights, though I sometimes hit the "scan" button while driving. That button is great because it does all the looking for me.

Yes, that can be pretty dangerous. I have been trying to find radio stations to program into my new car's radio. So far I have only done that at stoplights, though I sometimes hit the "scan" button while driving. That button is great because it does all the looking for me.

New Orleans has a most diverse selection of great radio stations. (San Francisco used to) WWOZ (90.7), for example, is a station I would never get tired of listening to. The fact that it took me three days to find WWOZ attests to the quality of the stations in your city.

What are you listening to in the car these days?

What ever is on the radio, usually country or classic rock. Now if I'm traveling out of town, I take a variety of cd's with me.

Definitely Sirius satellite radio. Classic Rock channel 14 or Deep Tracks channel 16. I would be lost without satellite radio. I live in a very rural area; the nearest FM station is 75 miles away and reception is iffy at best.

Back
Top Bottom