Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The purr of my kitty. The radio's LCD died many moons ago. Have not bothered to fix it. The sound of the Jag is rather pleasant. But than again I do not commute. Retired.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sirius Satellite.

REDNECK - as in Roadhouse and the Bluegrass channels, 50's/60's rock and roll......
Sirius Satellite here too! (also in the house and workshop and now on my iPhone with Sirius' app)

In addition to those above, I listen to Willie's Place (Willie Nelson and the like), 40's (Big Band/Swing), Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet and that type), WaterColors ('smooth' jazz), and Real Jazz (classic jazz).

Quote:
heh heh heh - have yet to put some of my old time gospel and blues guitar tapes in my car carry case.....
And also on Sirius, I like enLighten (Sirius 67)...mostly old time gospel, quartets, old songs.....all the good ol' stuff I grew up hearing at Sunday afternoon "Singings" at our old country church....right after a potluck! The same stuff my Grandad sang and played on his guitar.

On the AM/FM radio in the car, it's one of the local country stations or WBBM-AM out of Chicago (24 hour News and Weather...no editorializing, just plain old news reporting).

Now with the iPhone plugged into the car radio's 'aux' port, I have apps so I can listen to WSM out of Nashville anytime and hear the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nights....one of my long time faves...(used to tune it in on my little transistor radio when I was a kid), and some others that would be far out of range otherwise. With the Sirius satellite app on the iPhone, I don't need to try to remember to grab the Sirius tuner every time I head to get in the car either.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boy, I'm really glad to see that so many here like to listen to the Blues artists.
In my vehicle it's "Exit 74 on the XM highway....Bluesville". I have always been kinda bored with mainstream music and even though I like a lot of different artists, it is because of their music having a rhythm and blues base. For instance the Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton, Doors, B.B. King, Marsha Ball, the Temptations, Buddy Guy, and on and on.....
I don't care for swing blues from the twenty's and occasionally when that comes on I switch over to Bluegrass. Go figure.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of people here listening to satellite radio! When I bought my Camry the salesman went on and on about the satellite radio and when I told him I didn't care about it, he looked at me like, "you stupid, boy?". I guess I am missing somethin'.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Satellite radio is really nice when you do a lot of cross country driving as you can listen to what you want and not try to find a local channel out on the middle of nowhere that drops out after a couple of hours. Also, most cable TV news channels are available. There are mile and miles of open country across the good ole US of A that have nothing but country and/or religious radio stations.

Audrey
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #26

I listen to Ray Lucia Show (Business Talk Radio). When Phil's Gang comes on, I switch to some music station (usually pop), or switch to my karaoke CD and sing really really loud (after making sure all my windows are rolled up).
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Satellite radio is really nice when you do a lot of cross country driving as you can listen to what you want and not try to find a local channel out on the middle of nowhere that drops out after a couple of hours......
That's why I originally got mine almost 3 years ago. Shortly after that, I bought the 'boom-box' for it also, so I could listen out in the gardens when I'm tending to things...and also in the workshop (where I have an external antenna permanently mounted).
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #28

Books on tape. Hemingway, John Irving, Faulkner, Janet Evanovitch, Kafka, Hesse, Lawrence, Michener, Philip Roth, Joseph Heller, whatever I can find at the library that seems half decent.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Today was Yaz, the Upstairs at Eric's album

Tomorrow, maybe Depeche Mode...........
Metallica,Aerosmith,George Winston (plains), U2

Oh Ive always enjoyed the heck out of this.

Very calming.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

News radio and classic rock.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #31
Administrator

The new car I bought last week has Sirius radio, and for some reason it works. I enjoyed listening to some jazz on it today. But I don't plan to pay for it, so I feel a little guilty. Only a little.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The new car I bought last week has Sirius radio, and for some reason it works.
I think most cars these days come with the satelite radio turned on for 3-4 months. If you want to continue after that you have to pay the monthly fee.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
I think most cars these days come with the satelite radio turned on for 3-4 months. If you want to continue after that you have to pay the monthly fee.
Oh, OK!! Thanks for the info. Then I don't need to feel guilty about "stealing radio" or something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, OK!! Thanks for the info. Then I don't need to feel guilty about "stealing radio" or something.
Yeah its the lure to get you to subscribe to that awesome programing. I think thats how the world works anymore. Fight the good fight.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sirius/XM will start calling you shortly before your 3-month free subscription expires, to try to talk you into signing up for their standard package, at about $15/month as I recall (maybe higher now). We said no, we weren't interested, and they then offered a very similar package for about $9/month. We took that, for another 3 months, and will see what kind of deal we can get at the end of that period. You have to threaten to cancel, or you won't get their best rate. Also, be careful if you sign up for any package that automatically renews after the trial period is over, at a much higher rate (most of them are like that, I think). If you do that, you have to remember to call them before the trial period is up to renegotiate a new deal, or you will be automatically renewed at a price you probably won't like.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Sirius/XM will start calling you shortly before your 3-month free subscription expires, to try to talk you into signing up for their standard package, at about $15/month as I recall (maybe higher now). We said no, we weren't interested, and they then offered a very similar package for about $9/month. We took that, for another 3 months, and will see what kind of deal we can get at the end of that period. You have to threaten to cancel, or you won't get their best rate. Also, be careful if you sign up for any package that automatically renews after the trial period is over, at a much higher rate (most of them are like that, I think). If you do that, you have to remember to call them before the trial period is up to renegotiate a new deal, or you will be automatically renewed at a price you probably won't like.
Thanks, RAE! I think that in my case I'll just decline all packages because I don't drive that much. I average just 3900 miles per year. So, there really wouldn't be enough time to enjoy a package very much. It's good to know that I can expect these calls, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #37

Oh this is a big hit these days.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I don't have Sirius radio. Just wondering if those that do listen to Howard. I'm assuming he's still on there. Haven't heard much about him lately.

I kinda miss him in a wierd way. Yeah, he got on my last nerve at times, but other times...funny as hell.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Embarrassed to say the CD for Chicken Little - when my kid isn't even in the car!

I'm trying to get the notes right for this one on the piano:

Dont struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. Gabriel Garca Mrquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #40

Most often I listen to silence, sometimes some 60s folk music or hammer dulcimer or All Things Considered. About two weeks ago I stumbled on a fantastic choir CD, cross between church music & New Age. Got very hooked on the sound. Libera