Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good move, I think many golfers would be much better off with a shorter driver shaft. The standard off the shelf driver length seems to be getting longer every year, it's now ~45.5", way too long for most.

The average length of a driver shaft on the PGA tour is only 44.5"...and those guys will do anything for added distance. It's really a disservice to sell such long drivers to average golfers, most who have no chance at all of hitting them straight. One of the main reasons I've never been comfortable with a driver is because of how long they are.

The club fitter (who is also a teaching pro) is the same height as me (5'7") and said that he uses a 43" driver shaft. I tried the 43" shaft first and hit it okay, but the shaft that was just a half inch shorter was noticeably better for my swing.

I have a tm rbz stage 2 (46") and I hit it straight all the time

5'4" Brook Henderson (last years women's PGA champ) has a different take on driver shafts. I play a 46" light weight shaft and drive the ball better than I ever have. If I have a tight hole to deal with I either grip down on the club or go with my 3 wood. But I agree, if someone is wild off the tee a shorter driver might be a good option.

If I have a tight hole to deal with I either grip down on the club or go with my 3 wood. But I agree, if someone is wild off the tee a shorter driver might be a good option.

Not even going to touch that one. :hide:

Tiger Woods DUI again.

Nah...he was taking legal forms of heroin...ya know...pain killers. But the rumor mill is strong in the people so soon he will not only have been drunk...he will have been on pills, cocaine, meth...he will have multiple women in the back seat, yada yada yada. Ahh rumors...gotta love them.

Nah...he was taking legal forms of heroin...ya know...pain killers. But the rumor mill is strong in the people so soon he will not only have been drunk...he will have been on pills, cocaine, meth...he will have multiple women in the back seat, yada yada yada. Ahh rumors...gotta love them.

Just because the drugs are legal does not mean he was not DUI.
No alcohol does not mean he was not DUI.

He was DUI, he even admits it. The breath analyzer test for alcohol came back 0.000 so it had to be some quantity/mixture of pills.

This is a valid point and im glad you pointed this out. Last year 35% of every american was prescribed painkillers (legal opioids.) Lets pretend half of that number drove when they were on the opioids...which is probably a safe estimate. That means around 50,000,000 people should have gotten a DUI. Right? They were driving under the influence of narcotics.

Point of the story is there is no story. Everyone is pilled up and operating heavy machinery. There was a documentary called oxycontin express you should check out. It will shed some light on this dark epidemic thats blanketing the entire country.

This is a valid point and im glad you pointed this out. Last year 35% of every american was prescribed painkillers (legal opioids.) Lets pretend half of that number drove when they were on the opioids...which is probably a safe estimate. That means around 50,000,000 people should have gotten a DUI. Right? They were driving under the influence of narcotics.

Point of the story is there is no story. Everyone is pilled up and operating heavy machinery. There was a documentary called oxycontin express you should check out. It will shed some light on this dark epidemic thats blanketing the entire country.

Yes.

Went to a PGA Super Store for my first time. Wow on the size, inventory and tech. Every piece of golf gear you can imagine, 10-20 times more extensive than a big Dick's or Golf Galaxy. The biggest golf store I've ever seen by far.

On the other hand, service was lacking despite plenty of people on the floor. Some were tied up with lessons and club fitting, some restocking, and some just walking around doing nothing much. I was trying out putters, along with others, and no one ever came by to see if anyone needed help. I finally asked the cashier to send someone over, she asked in her lapel mic. After 10 minutes I looked over at her and she mouthed 'I asked again.' After another 10 minutes, she asked a third time and one of the floor walkers came over. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, didn't ask any questions or ask me to see my putting stroke or setup. He asked me what brands and styles I liked, when I told him he said they were all good putters. Was aware of toe hang, just barely. Asked me my height and said the length I was looking at was probably right. He basically said try as many as you want and pick the one you like best, 'that's what I do.' Good thing for them I'd narrowed it down to a few brands/styles and after trying them and others, I knew which one I wanted. I might have thought I could get a little guidance for a putter that cost more than all three of my woods. I bought despite the poor service because they're the only dealer for miles - I usually don't overlook poor service.

The online reviews said their service was indifferent or worse, but I didn't believe them. Now I do...

Last edited:
Has anyone played Bailey Creek Golf course in Lake Almanor? I have a golf trip planned in August, but I have never been there.

thanks
Joe

I made my first ever hole in one today!! :dance:

I've been playing for 20 years and have lipped out twice but today the golfing gods decided to give gave me a break. It was on a 129 yard hole...I hit a wedge that landed about 8 feet short of the hole, bounced once, and then rolled in. My long time golf buddy was with me and got to enjoy the moment...I was witness to his only hole in one about 10 years ago. :)

Congratulations! Hope you followed tradition and bought a round for everyone at the bar afterwards.

I didn't...my long time golf buddy high fived me, and that was the extent of the celebration. After the round, we skipped the clubhouse and came back to my place (he had picked me up) and had a beer on the deck.

Just saw the Tiger DUI video. Cop asked him for the alphabet, but not to sing it, then asks Tiger what he said. And Tiger says you asked me to sing the National Anthem, but not backwards. Oh my, he was out of it.

OK sports fans, cast or forged irons ? Thinking about picking up some new irons and looking at some Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal forged irons. Turning 66 in a few weeks and still hitting the ball pretty solidly, play at least twice week and shoot anywhere from the mid 80s-mid- 90s depending on course difficulty and tees. What do you all think ?

Last edited:
OK sports fans, cast or forged irons ? Thinking about picking up some new irons and looking at some Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal forged irons. Turning 66 in a few weeks and still hitting the ball pretty solidly, play at least twice week and shoot anywhere from the mid 80s-mid- 90s depending on course difficulty and tees. What do you all think ?

I tried a forged 'blade' iron set years ago a found they weren't for me, they were really good when I was striking it good but there was a noticeable loss in distance in off center hits. I have noticed that some of the manufacturers, including Mizuno, now offer forged irons that use a perimeter weight design for more forgiveness so they might suit my game better but haven't tried them yet. My playing partner just picked up a set of the non-forged JPX 900 irons and really likes them. Maybe test both the forged and non-forged JPX 900 irons and see which ones you like better.

Did not know the hot metal irons were forged. Late last year, I picked the jpx ez forged irons. Very forgiving and one still buy them on ebay new for approx. $350.

Guess I might have missed something but I thought all three variations of the JPX 900s were forged.

Guess I might have missed something but I thought all three variations of the JPX 900s were forged.

The JPX 900 Hot Metal irons are cast, a little more forgiven and ~$300 cheaper than the JPX 900 forged.

Your scores are pretty much the same as mine. Another alternative (which many don't know about) is the Maltby TE or DBM irons at Golfworks. Both of these heads are forged and forgiving to hit. Can pretty much get any shaft/grip from them, they will assemble per your specs at less than 1/2 the cost of the major OEMS. I have a set of the TEs and I alternate them with the Mizuno jpx ez forged.

If interested in Golfworks, do a google search. Their clubs (esp. the irons/wedges) are highly regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom