Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I definitely think Quail Hollow is tougher then CCCC. But then again, I play CCCC 3-4 times a week and Quail maybe 3-4 times a year.
we get to play quail for $10 (plus cart) due to the construction, the shop can get you a tee time

I think I will play white tees next time

Oh, the slope rating from the tips at quail is 132, not 129

one of my bros almost rolled a cart yesterday coming down the hill on 3 (he did a killer 360); yes he was sober but man that place is hilly
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
we get to play quail for $10 (plus cart) due to the construction, the shop can get you a tee time

I think I will play white tees next time

Oh, the slope rating from the tips at quail is 132, not 129

one of my bros almost rolled a cart yesterday coming down the hill on 3 (he did a killer 360); yes he was sober but man that place is hilly
During my weekly Weds golf group a couple weeks ago, two of my playing partners did roll a cart. At the turn on Boundary Oaks, you drive downhill from 9 to 10, around a tight curve, downhill, on a curbed concrete cart path. The driver wasn't paying close enough attention and hopped the curb at the top. When they started going down the steep grassed hill, he hit the brakes & tried to turn (). The cart rolled on it's side and they both fell out the same side onto the concrete cart path; luckily the cart didn't come down on top of them but, it was close. One guy got bruised up and went home; then, immediately to the ER when his wife saw him. He's OK, just bruises and cuts & scrapes.

Gotta be careful. These guys are both north of 65 yo, and things are a little more fragile at that age.

More importantly, all that commotion caused me to slice my drive into the trees on the right.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I always seem to play well the first couple rounds after not playing for a while.
Quite common actually. I call it a "low expectation round". You're thinking "well I haven't played in a while so I'm not going to do so well". Then you go out and you are not thinking...just playing. Bad habits don't creep in, etc.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #644

Well, it seems like No Good Deed Round Goes Unpunished.

I played a round with a buddy yesterday, shot a net 71 (par 72 course), and my handicap index went up by 0.6 points!

The reason is that my lowest score dropped off after yesterday's round but, that still seems hardly fair.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #645
Give me a forum ...

what's wrong with your index going up?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. Tomorrow our new greens are open for play. No more temps!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #647

Quote:
what's wrong with your index going up?
Well, there is that!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #648

Anyone familiar with the golf courses in Las Cruces NM? I'll be going there for a few days and hope to get a couple of rounds in.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Anyone familiar with the golf courses in Las Cruces NM? I'll be going there for a few days and hope to get a couple of rounds in.
Here's my review of a couple Las Cruces golf course I had a chance to play

Played at the NM State University golf course one day. It's a nice traditional style golf course with many holes running parallel to each other, it's an older course and much more tree lined then one would normally see in a desert. The greens were just aerated and top dressed a couple days before I played there so the conditions were slow and bouncy but the guys I played with said the greens are normally fast and in good shape. Can find discounts on golfnow, I think I paid $19 with cart, good value for money.

For the next round I played at Red Hawk in the northeast section of town. Very nice layout and the conditions were very good, excellent value for money, paid $28 with cart for early afternoon. This is much more of what you expect to see in a desert golf course. Not sure how many acres they used but this course is really spread out, most holes are isolated and surrounded by desert but there is water on a few holes. It is very long, plays at just over 7500 yards from the tips but has plenty of tee options to choose from. The fairways are somewhat generous but if you miss them you're almost assured a lost or unplayable ball, very thick desert brush. Excellent practice facility, in fact the NM State men's golf team was practicing there the day I played there.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #650
Give me a forum ...

Shot a 78 yesterday on my home (senior tees). It's a fun course, but can be very challenging depending on the setup. Not a PGA tour type course but the club has hosted a couple of min-tour events.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg number14.jpg (296.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Shot a 78 yesterday on my home (senior tees). It's a fun course, but can be very challenging depending on the setup. Not a PGA tour type course but the club has hosted a couple of min-tour events.
Congrats!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #652
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any info on Vegas courses? I'm definitely playing Wolf Creek in Mesquite but looking for three other rounds ,hopefully cheaper than WC. Any value deals out there?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #653
Give me a forum ...

I played a course in vegas that had a cannon and mimicked a bunch of holes in Scotland.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Any info on Vegas courses? I'm definitely playing Wolf Creek in Mesquite but looking for three other rounds ,hopefully cheaper than WC. Any value deals out there?
I played Rhodes Ranch ~15yrs ago and always liked it; not sure what shape it's in now. I can also give recommendations on St. George, UT courses (2hrs up the road) if interested.
Half a Round is Better than None
Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #655

Half a Round is Better than None

Played with my regular Tuesday group @ the regular course yesterday. They're beginning to punch/sand the greens (doing the front 9 first) so, we played the back 9. Went out in 40, then started the second 9. We immediately had to wait on a foursome in front of us that was taking forever to play; I think one of them was teaching the others or something. And, they were completely oblivious to the backup behind them. I can usually take a bit of waiting but, this was clearly turning into a 3 hr 9...so, I just walked in after 11. Shame since it was a gorgeous day but, there's no enjoyment in a 3 hr 9.

I heard the marshall go after them after he asked me why I was walking in; I told him what was going on.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #656
Give me a forum ...

public course?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Played with my regular Tuesday group @ the regular course yesterday. They're beginning to punch/sand the greens (doing the front 9 first) so, we played the back 9. Went out in 40, then started the second 9. We immediately had to wait on a foursome in front of us that was taking forever to play; I think one of them was teaching the others or something. And, they were completely oblivious to the backup behind them. I can usually take a bit of waiting but, this was clearly turning into a 3 hr 9...so, I just walked in after 11. Shame since it was a gorgeous day but, there's no enjoyment in a 3 hr 9.

I heard the marshall go after them after he asked me why I was walking in; I told him what was going on.
I've done the same. Although I'm riding in.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #658
Give me a forum ...

If there is no one in front I usually confront them and ask to play through.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #659

Quote:
public course?
Yes but, normally well marshaled.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Yes but, normally well marshaled.
that's why I try not to play public courses - i hate when crap like that (giving lessons on the course, newbs, slow play) goes on. Even with a marshall it doesn't help that much

guess I'm a country club snob

although I did play two public courses last month, we get to play them for $10 since our back 9 is under construction - pace of play was actually great, one of the munis had a super awesome beverage cart server too