Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not Thursday, but too bad...I played my first 18 hole round today in 5 months, following my complete rupture of my right achilles tendon August 31. I am wintering in Florida, got here Jan 1, and started my golf rehab on Jan 2, hitting short irons, day by day moving up...until today...started bogey, double bogey, and played the next 16 holes in 1-under for a smooth 74...Definitely did not see that one coming.

I golf with one of my bandmates...tonight he said "the switch is official", referring to his decision to switch from right handed to left handed.

He's never been comfortable with his swing and has some horrible rounds. In fall he said that he thought he was a natural lefty and was going to take some winter lessons to find out. He's golfed right his entire life (he's 52), but shoots hockey left...although shooting hockey left is actually the norm for right handers. He's had 3 lessons so far and says he's already hitting it better than when he was a righty, and the instructor agrees.

That's the first time I've heard of someone changing their swing that late in life. I hope he does well.

That's the first time I've heard of someone changing their swing that late in life. I hope he does well.

I also never heard of anyone making the switch that late, it does sound desperate. Did see a list one time of PGA Tour players who were natural lefties that played right handed and there were some well known and very successful golfers, Byron Nelson, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, and quite a few others.

Just speculating but he must be ambidextrous? I wouldn’t even be able to make contact with the ball swinging left handed, even with a half swing it would be difficult much less a full swing. Just punching out left handed takes me several practice swings when needed. But we all know how challenging golf is, so I hope it works out for your bandmate.

I think the fact that he plays hockey from the left will be a huge help... similar eye-hand coordination skills. In fact, IME hockey players are the rare breed who are commonly pretty good golfers... I know many other gifted athletes from baseball, football, basketball, tennis, racquetball, soccer and other sports that take up golf and are totally humbled by golf... by not so much with hockey players.

If you have the same sized hand perhaps you can inherit some nice golf gloves from him... or does he have nice right handed golf clubs? :D

I think the fact that he plays hockey from the left will be a huge help... similar eye-hand coordination skills. In fact, IME hockey players are the rare breed who are commonly pretty good golfers... I know many other gifted athletes from baseball, football, basketball, tennis, racquetball, soccer and other sports that take up golf and are totally humbled by golf... by not so much with hockey players.

The eye/hand coordination definitely translates. A lot of hockey playing friends of mine are very good golfers, and even the ones that suck at golf can at times hit the ball a mile.

I remember a few years ago golfing with a friend who played junior hockey. He's a lefty who shoots hockey right (that's normal) and golfs left. He was having a bad round and after hitting 2 drives OB on the back 9 he borrowed my right handed driver and striped it 250 down the middle :LOL:

Just speculating but he must be ambidextrous? I wouldn’t even be able to make contact with the ball swinging left handed, even with a half swing it would be difficult much less a full swing. Just punching out left handed takes me several practice swings when needed. But we all know how challenging golf is, so I hope it works out for your bandmate.

Yeah...if I have to punch out left handed it's very awkward :)

I think most lefties 50 or older had no choice but to develop some ambidextrous skills...they grew up at an age where being left handed was discouraged and products for lefties were hard to find.

He started golf at a young age and the only clubs he could find were right handed so he just used them.

I'm just surprised that anyone that played hockey at a high level, especially junior hockey, would even attempt to goll differently from how they played hockey given that the had eye coordination is such an easy translation... if you can hit a moving puck with a hockey stick while moving on ice skates on ice then it would seem to me a cakewalk to hit a stationary golf ball with a golf club while standing in golf shoes on terra firma.

Got out yesterday and played one of the local munis that is half ways dried out. Shot an 82 which is pretty decent for me in Jan. Going out with low expectations made the difference, started off with a double bogey, bogey, birdie and mostly pars and bogeys the rest of the round. Temp. actually hit 61 degrees and the sun was shining for a change.

I also never heard of anyone making the switch that late, it does sound desperate. Did see a list one time of PGA Tour players who were natural lefties that played right handed and there were some well known and very successful golfers, Byron Nelson, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, and quite a few others.

Shawn Clement, a famous youtube golf instructor plays to scratch or better both ways.

I golf with one of my bandmates...tonight he said "the switch is official", referring to his decision to switch from right handed to left handed.

He's never been comfortable with his swing and has some horrible rounds. In fall he said that he thought he was a natural lefty and was going to take some winter lessons to find out. He's golfed right his entire life (he's 52), but shoots hockey left...although shooting hockey left is actually the norm for right handers. He's had 3 lessons so far and says he's already hitting it better than when he was a righty, and the instructor agrees.

Had a friend who was about a 3 handicap when he was about 50, bet several guys in his regular group that he could switch to left handed and get a single digit handicap the next season (April-October in Montana). He got to 7 handicap and collected big time.

But he is one of the most determined/disciplined people that I've ever known, and a very good athlete at many sports in his youth. I'd have never bet against him.

Pin in, pin out. Another attempt to study. FWIW

https://youtu.be/v9ZXh7g11C8

Seems pretty definitive leaving it in is better.

About the only time I take it out is when the wind is blowing at me, or the flagstick is shaking violently in our 15+ mph trade winds.

But if I've got a short putt, and others have already taken it out, I'm not going to slow up play asking for it to be put back in, except, maybe, something like the Club Championship.

Seems pretty definitive leaving it in is better.

About the only time I take it out is when the wind is blowing at me, or the flagstick is shaking violently in our 15+ mph trade winds.

But if I've got a short putt, and others have already taken it out, I'm not going to slow up play asking for it to be put back in, except, maybe, something like the Club Championship.
Where I originally planned to pull the pin as always, I’ve since decided after several studies, thinking it over based on past experience (mostly practice greens), and seeing some touring pros leaving it it - I’m going to leave it in as much as possible and see what happens. But like you, when someone else pulls it (as I assume will happen some), I won’t ask to put it back to putt.

Most heartwarming golf video I’ve seen in a long time. Great ending/score too.

Woodland also supports Fallen Veterans Families/Folds of Honor - so he’s shot way up on my favorite player list.

https://youtu.be/rYSjFvCNP7Q

Last edited:
I got my first ever hole-in-one (and first ever eagle for that matter) today. The hole was 118 yard par 3, slightly uphill with a large bunker protecting the green and a front pin. I hit a pitching wedge... caught it well but thought it might be bit short so I called out for it to "go"... it cleared the bunker and I breathed a sigh of relief..... then it took a big hop and started rolling towards the pin. I almost turned away at that point, but the ball started curling to the left and then we lost sight of it and the high-fives began! :dance:

I had a post hole-in-one f-up with a double bogie on the next hole, but had a good round overall...41/41/82... +10 gross... -11 net ... the 82 was not a personal best but close to a personal best.

Anywho, that was my excitement for the day. Pretty cool!

^^ Congrats, bucket list moment!

Congratulations....what was the bar bill?

Had two, one in 2008, one in 2013 so I'm thinking i'm about due again!:D

Well, I don't know the bar bill yet.

I bought a round for our foursome when the drinks cart met us on the next hole... $20... the ladies were behind us but only playing nine holes so I called DD with the good news and asked her to buy a round for the ladies... $60... but for the guys playing 18 by the time we finished the bar was closed. I offered for us to stop at a watering hole on the way home but everyone was pretty tired as it was a fairly hot afternoon and they declined... so I told them (3 foursomes) that I'll buy drinks at lunch before our tee times next week. But assuming another $80 or so there probably only $160 in total.

Last edited:
I had my only hole in one 4 years ago- Also chipped in over a bunker on a par 5 for eagle in the same 9 holes in our league- Bar bill was 400$, but i won 2350$ from the hole in one Pot! Best part- i had agreed on the first tee to play with a buddy of mine and 2 of his friends at a course 3 hours away from here the next day- i got home at 1130 and had to meet them in the parking lot at 0330. I was not even hung over yet- just kept telling myself to not throw up in the back seat of this guy i do not know's car as he took the twisty turns on the Blue Ridge parkway in his little Beemer!
THEN- we had 5 birdies and an eagle on the front 9 of that course between the 4 of us! Shot about 53 on the back though!!

Congrats on the hole in one, a feat not many can put on their bucket list accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom