Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogan does state in his book that there are two different planes, chapter 4 of the book includes diagrams of the back swing and forward swing planes side by side. He places more emphasis on working on the back swing plane, stating the forward swing plane will change naturally if everything up to that point, with emphasis on initiating the downswing with the hips, is done correctly.

Last edited:
re: zinger

Hogan does state in his book that there are two different planes, chapter 4 of the book includes diagrams of the back swing and forward swing planes side by side. He places more emphasis on working on the back swing plane, stating the forward swing plane will change naturally if everything up to that point, with emphasis on initiating the downswing with the hips, is done correctly.

I guess my information about Hogan's swing is wrong. Thanks for the correction.

I guess my information about Hogan's swing is wrong. Thanks for the correction.

Part of the confusion is how one defines a one plane swing. Some instructors refer to a one plane swing where the shoulders and the arms swing on the same plane, which is pretty much what Hogan does and teaches. So by that definition Hogan is a one plane swing. When Hogan refers to a second plane it's that the plane of the arms and shoulder will be at a different angle/direction during the downswing. I'm sure that's clear as mud to most and a lot more than one needs to know to swing a club.

I guess I think of a one-plane swing as the clubhead traveling on consistent path on the backswing and the downswing.... like a plate at an angle.... here is a young guy who has it mastered and has had a bit of success with it.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not as low as you can go. A lot depends upon how much time you have, or decide to spend on the game.
Do you keep track of where you are losing strokes to par?
Even as we get older we can improve on our short game. How old are you BTW?

I'm 65 and my HI is at 10.3, coming down from around 12. I've been an 8 before, and I think I can get back there again, but I have a lot of time to spend on it. There is less and less other stuff I can do due to injuries and age, so I have more time to spend on golf.

Hmm, it's good that you are still improving at that age. I am 57 and play about 5 days a week. I keep track of some stats to see which area I need to practice. I don't practice whole lot, and I play golf to enjoy (not to compete or improve). If I apply myself more, I am sure I can lower my HI but I don't have enough hours in my ER daily schedule. Nevertheless, my 2019 golf goal is to lower my handicap to 11+. :cool:

Hmm, it's good that you are still improving at that age. I am 57 and play about 5 days a week. I keep track of some stats to see which area I need to practice. I don't practice whole lot, and I play golf to enjoy (not to compete or improve). If I apply myself more, I am sure I can lower my HI but I don't have enough hours in my ER daily schedule. Nevertheless, my 2019 golf goal is to lower my handicap to 11+. :cool:

It's an important balance to keep. Improvement is slow, and frankly if we didn't write down our scores for handicap purposes, we'd probably not really even notice it. It's not hard to ruin our enjoyment of the game by focusing on results, rather than the joy of playing.
My mom loved to practice. I and my brother are the same way. My dad never practiced golf. He had too many other interests.
I've recently joined a club with the nicest practice facility I've ever had access to, and it's 10 minutes from my front door. I have always found it very relaxing to chip, and putt and pitch "feel" shots around a practice green. I can't wail away on full swings like I used to enjoy, because I get tired, and even risk injury. I can do it a bit, but after 30 or 40 balls I should quit and move on.

That's one of the great things about the game. We get to choose our level of commitment, and our level of expectations. Enjoy!

I guess I think of a one-plane swing as the clubhead traveling on consistent path on the backswing and the downswing.... like a plate at an angle.... here is a young guy who has it mastered and has had a bit of success with it.

Bryson's set up so different from all of the other pros that to me he reminds me of a high handicap "hacker"...right up until he swings the club and then it's pretty evident he knows what he's doing.
His success has inspired me to try single length irons this spring.
As far as "one plane" vs. "two plane"....every time I try what I think is a "one plane" swing I come over the top and hit a beautiful pull hook. What we think we are doing and what we are doing are typically not the same thing, so I have to feel like I'm dropping it into the "slot" from the inside to prevent a gross "over the top" move that spells "F-O-R-E L-E-F-T!!!!!".

I love the game and play every chance I get but one similarity to investing is the problem of analysis paralysis. I play best when I keep it simple with these easy swing thoughts, exhale, slow backswing, keep my head stationary and watch the club face contact the ball. Nothing worse than complicating something as easy as hitting a stationary object by having a bunch confusing swing thoughts or mind bending concepts about swing plane, pronation, etc., etc. The very best thought I have and say to myself before every round is, have fun.

I love the game and play every chance I get but one similarity to investing is the problem of analysis paralysis. I play best when I keep it simple with these easy swing thoughts, exhale, slow backswing, keep my head stationary and watch the club face contact the ball.
Me too.

When I need a boost, I pull up 90 year old films of Bobby Jones on Youtube for inspiration, not analysis. I'm not joking. That man had the sweetest, yet powerful, swing on earth. None of this crazy overwound rubber band stuff of today.

I love the game and play every chance I get but one similarity to investing is the problem of analysis paralysis. I play best when I keep it simple with these easy swing thoughts, exhale, slow backswing, keep my head stationary and watch the club face contact the ball. Nothing worse than complicating something as easy as hitting a stationary object by having a bunch confusing swing thoughts or mind bending concepts about swing plane, pronation, etc., etc. The very best thought I have and say to myself before every round is, have fun.

+1 I have tried to simplify my game as much as possible... I particularly focus on my set-up... alignment, position of the ball in the stance, club position, grip, etc. ... then I to relax for a second... a ssllooww backswing and then just hit the damn thing!

Shot an 84 today with three lip out putts and three double bogeys, the weather and company I played with were just fantastic and we will do it again in a few of days.

This should be in the pet peeve forum, but . . . not having the course ready and applying fertilizer and watering when people are playing. My bad for taking the first tee time and getting to the back nine too fast . . . :confused: Dodged sprinklers on 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, spreading fertilizer on 16 so skipped it entirely and finished 17 and 18.

My first world problem.

Over many many years of playing, improvements came from:

1) Practice putting, chipping and pitching. Best way to reduce wasted strokes
2) Practice wedges from 40 to 100 yards. Best way to gain strokes.
3) Improve swing (lessons, practice, time) to get good contact and keep the ball on the course.

My improvements came mostly in a step function. Back in 2001 I went from a solid 9 hdcp to a solid 5 hdcp virtually overnight. All the lessons and practice from 1999 and 2000 finally paid off.

My last 3 rounds.....39-42=81. 38-45=83. 39-43=82. Obviously something is going on that is messing up my back nine.

I solved it yesterday. 38. Then I quit. Problem solved.

actually, the problem on the back is that those holes are harder. Longer mostly, and the course is soggy. Also the course is on a hill that overlooks the lake I live on. Beautiful views up there. Also always windy.

My last 3 rounds.....39-42=81. 38-45=83. 39-43=82. Obviously something is going on that is messing up my back nine.

I solved it yesterday. 38. Then I quit. Problem solved.

actually, the problem on the back is that those holes are harder. Longer mostly, and the course is soggy. Also the course is on a hill that overlooks the lake I live on. Beautiful views up there. Also always windy.
Might some of the higher second nine scores be getting tired?

Might some of the higher second nine scores be getting tired?

I don't think that's a major issue. At least not physically tired. When I play 18 I ride.
I do think I lose focus though.

Anyone see this?

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

they rather extensively tested a bunch of golfballs with a robot, at various swing speeds to compare flight characteristics between brands and models.

There were some interesting takeaways...e.g. the Snells were right there with the ProV1s, as they intended,

and lower compression balls don't go farther than higher compression balls at lower swing speeds.

Having a quick look at the mygolfspy web site does bring out the skeptic in me about their independence.

First their mission statement:
Our Mission:

We are independent, unbiased and always put the #ConsumerFirst. We spend thousands of hours testing and researching products to help you get the most out of your game. This way you can be sure you have reviews you can trust.
Then a request on their web site asking for donations and suggesting that maybe they aren't completely independent yet.
Support Unbiased Testing.

Our job is your game.

DID YOU KNOW: If only 1% of MyGolfSpy readers donated $25, we would be able to become completely independent in 12-months.
Would you be willing to help by giving a donation? Every dollar will help. Make a donation to support our independent and expert golf equipment research. A PayPal account is not required in order to donate.
I also noticed several ads on their web site for their highly rated Snell golf ball, maybe just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Having a quick look at the mygolfspy web site does bring out the skeptic in me about their independence.

First their mission statement:
Then a request on their web site asking for donations and suggesting that maybe they aren't completely independent yet.
I also noticed several ads on their web site for their highly rated Snell golf ball, maybe just a coincidence.

you are not alone in your skepticism. But I trust they did the tests fairly. I don't know why I do. In my case, I'm a ProV1 guy...I would probably shoot just as well with gray no-name cheepo balls found in the tall grass, but I pamper myself, now, in my dotage. I was interested in trying the Snells, and this test tells me they are worth a shot. So I've ordered a dozen, along with the 4 for 3 ProV1 sale.
I should probably post this in the "Blow That Dough" thread.

Is it unreasonable to tell the DW I need to get the new sticks before the tariffs kick in ?

^^^^ Not at all.

On balls, I usually play a lower level nonProV Titleist.... but I tried the new Kirkland ball ($24 for two dozen) and I actually like them.

^^^^ Not at all.

On balls, I usually play a lower level nonProV Titleist.... but I tried the new Kirkland ball ($24 for two dozen) and I actually like them.

I’ve looked for the Kirkland balls every time I go to Costco. I was hoping to get the four layer proV clones but never did. However, I walked in to Costco a couple weeks ago and they had the three layer balls for $24/two dozen. Limit 2

I didn’t go crazy, but I did make two trips and got 8 dozen balls. I just don’t see how someone like me, a high handicap golfer, can go wrong for $1 a ball. I don’t lose a lot of balls, but it feels better to lose $1 than a $4 ProV. It was good to see a review that supports the decision to buy 8 dozen.

I just don’t see how someone like me, a high handicap golfer, can go wrong for $1 a ball. I don’t lose a lot of balls, but it feels better to lose $1 than a $4 ProV. It was good to see a review that supports the decision to buy 8 dozen.

13 HI here and I agree that most golfers can use cheaper alternative to $5 balls. I use most any ball I find in the course. The only ones I don't play are ones with cuts or large scuff marks. If I am in tournament though, I will play straight ball (e.g, Bridgestone E6).

Of late, I have been playing erratically, 80's one day and 90's the next. Soon, I don't think I can claim I have 13 HI. :(

Update on my golf:
Rain, followed by increasing rain, and more rain. Forecast for today is rain. Forecast for tomorrow is rain, and by Wednesday, cloudy in the morning with showers in the PM....all of the courses, including the one I have joined, are muddy, swampy messes, and , well, closed.
Ugh! Will be heading out to visit children and grandchildren in the NYC area for the weekend, so I guess it will be at least a 9 day sabbatical from the golf. Maybe I'll forget some of my bad habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom