What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my roadster for an emissions test, went to the dry cleaners, bought topsoil and strawberry plants, brought home lunch for the young wife, built a new raised bed, planted strawberries, fertilized the blueberries and laurel, filled the propane tank for the grill, went to the grocery and came home to make dinner. It's a lot for one day. I'm looking forward to stretching these types of activities over a few days in retirement.

I took my roadster for an emissions test, went to the dry cleaners, bought topsoil and strawberry plants, brought home lunch for the young wife, built a new raised bed, planted strawberries, fertilized the blueberries and laurel, filled the propane tank for the grill, went to the grocery and came home to make dinner. It's a lot for one day. I'm looking forward to stretching these types of activities over a few days in retirement.
I envy you. I am still after 8 years of retirement too organized. When I have to go to Ventura, 10 miles away, I try to plan to do a number of things there.

I envy you. I am still after 8 years of retirement too organized. When I have to go to Ventura, 10 miles away, I try to plan to do a number of things there.

We do live right in the middle of town, so most things are nearby.

I think that's a different poppies. More bulbous in the middle. It's papaver somiferum. I love that one too, especially the bright red ones.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_somniferum

If it isn't a California poppy, it is illegal. Among the lunatic set that does the poppy tea thing, there are a wide variety of types that are grown for extra-curricular purposes at varying strength levels. I believe "hen and chicks" is infamously strong.

If it isn't a California poppy, it is illegal. Among the lunatic set that does the poppy tea thing, there are a wide variety of types that are grown for extra-curricular purposes at varying strength levels. I believe "hen and chicks" is infamously strong.
I saw these types of poppies at Stanford mall so I don't think it's illegal to grow here in California.

I saw these types of poppies at Stanford mall so I don't think it's illegal to grow here in California.

This is a matter of Federal law. It is not enforced unless there is evidence that you are actively trying to harvest opiates (making cuts on the flower bulb is a clear signal), but it is still on the books.

This is a matter of Federal law. It is not enforced unless there is evidence that you are actively trying to harvest opiates (making cuts on the flower bulb is a clear signal), but it is still on the books.

Much confusion and debate about this, but I do know a couple of people who failed a drug test because they ate a poppy seed bagel before going in for it.
That was back a couple of decades, and I think most drug tests warn you in advance about that today.

While making dinner Thursday night, I was using a mandoline to slice sweet potatoes. Got distracted.. and, cut a big chunk off the side of my right hand thumb... :sick:

Made a helluva mess. Wrapped it up and went to lie down. After a few hours the bleeding stopped and I think I had lost about a half a pint of blood. Not a lot of fun. So, been taking it easy the last couple of days.. lol

Moral of the story. Mandolines are dangerous and should be outlawed..:LOL:
Ohh. The sweet potatoes were good though..:facepalm:

While making dinner Thursday night, I was using a mandoline to slice sweet potatoes. Got distracted.. and, cut a big chunk off the side of my right hand thumb... :sick:

Made a helluva mess. Wrapped it up and went to lie down. After a few hours the bleeding stopped and I think I had lost about a half a pint of blood. Not a lot of fun. So, been taking it easy the last couple of days.. lol

Ouch! Sounds as if it was thumb mess.

https://www.northernsafety.com/safe...-resistant-gloves/ansi-level-5-cut-protection

I found some level 5 on Amazon. Saves stitches.

There is a reason they come with a handheld safety guard...I think docs and ER's have made a ton of money on mandolins.:cool:

Ouch!
I bought a mandoline recently, but I'm afraid to use it. I'm kinda attached to my thumbs. Maybe I should get a pair of those gloves......

Ouch!
I bought a mandoline recently, but I'm afraid to use it. I'm kinda attached to my thumbs. Maybe I should get a pair of those gloves......

Ten bucks vs a trip to the ER? I know maybe you can DIY the stitches.:D

Ouch! Sounds as if it was thumb mess.

Decently funny but not your usual "razor sharp" effort.. ha :cool::LOL:

There is a reason they come with a handheld safety guard...I think docs and ER's have made a ton of money on mandolins.:cool:

Yeah, true enough but who knows what kitchen drawer the guard was in and besides the chicken was almost done and I was in a hurry to get the sweet potatoes in the oven and, and, and ... now I can't do up buttons for a week or two..:D

Thanks for your concern all. Consider my reporting of this misadventure as a public safety announcement..

Ouch!

As long as you use the hand held guard you should be fine . I just stop when I get too close to the blade .

Since DW is visiting her sisters a few states away, I did some Sunday domestics, wash, vacuum etc. Then went to coffee shop for Americano and read the Sunday paper then ran the dryer. But first had to dig out some excess lint which prevented the filter from seating properly.

Yesterday we drove to Bel Air, MD north of Baltimore for a 50-year wedding anniversary party with family and friends. Since it was going to last until ten and I figured another hour helping with the cleanup (it was held in a community center and you do all the work or hire someone else) wouldn't put us back home until about 1:00 AM or later and after a long day we decided a hotel room would be worth it.

The next morning (today) went back briefly to DW's nephew's place to return an electric skillet used to cook/keep warm some food. No one has any idea of how it got into the back of my pickup. Easy drive home, something that doesn't always happen around Baltimore.

DW got home from another half-marathon. She has been averaging at least one a month for the last couple of years. Not bad for someone who was a total couch potato until she finally retired at 65. Her collection of finisher's medals is amazing!

DW got home from another half-marathon. She has been averaging at least one a month for the last couple of years. Not bad for someone who was a total couch potato until she finally retired at 65. Her collection of finisher's medals is amazing!

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom