ING Pop-Up from ER.org? Asking not accusing...

My pop-up just disappeared. :)

There's a pill for that, I hear.

images

I still have the eBay ad when viewing from my iPad. Oh well. Back to my laptop.

What annoys me with this stupid pop-up ad takes maybe 20% of the screen in landscape mode. It's ridiculous.

8009645533_3d4e51032f_z.jpg
I see from this screen shot that you are NOT logged in. Please log in. Does the ad display when you are logged in?

Last edited:
Yes, it's still there when logged in. :(

Let me shut my iPad down and restart, and log back in. Maybe that will help.

Edited to add: I did all that, and it is still there. Only now it has gone back to Ing Direct instead of eBay.

Last edited:
Are you only seeing it using a mobile device or are you seeing it on your PC as well?

For me it is ONLY on the iPad (not my laptop), it is ONLY when accessing the site through Safari, and not through the app, and yes, it is still there. Because of that, I am accessing the forum through my laptop now except when I am willing to limit myself to what I can do using the app for the reasons given here:

I am getting the ad on my iPad, too, when I access the forum through Safari instead of through the app. No problems when I am using the app.

However, AFAIK the app doesn't include all the functions the mods/admins need. :(

Andy knows about the problem and beyond that, there is little that any of us can do about it. I would suggest that while we are waiting for Andy to work on a solution, members simply use the app instead of Safari when accessing the forum from an iPad.

Last edited:
I logged back in on the iPad, got the banner on the first screen but not since.

Are you only seeing it using a mobile device or are you seeing it on your PC as well?
iPad only.

I see from this screen shot that you are NOT logged in. Please log in. Does the ad display when you are logged in?

Yes the ad displays just the same when I am logged in. Ad shows up also on my iphone.

My pop-up just disappeared. :)
I've had it for days (ING, CapitalOne & promoting TEXAS a few minutes ago) - BUT it just disappeared from my iPad too. If someone here fixed it, thanks!!! If not, I assume I'll be "infected" again in time...

Yay! On my Acer android-based tablet, I was finally able to kill the horrible pop-up with the following work-around: While in tablet’s browser, click on upper right hand corner menu icon, click “Settings”, Click “Advanced”, Click “Viewing Mode” and then change default from “Tablet” to “Desktop”. Now my browser seems to bring ALL my sites up in desktop mode versus in a default “mobile” mode, which works for me better anyway. This seems to have solved the ER pop-up problem for me (as long as I stay in “Desktop” mode”). Don’t know if you can do something similar on iPad.

FWIW - It's our policy to not allow pop-ups, this is not something we endorsed or have allowed. Sometimes advertisers sneak things into the ad networks, now we need to figure out who and how so I can prevent it.

I have an iPad but am in South America so I am not seeing the ad (I think it's geo-targeted). If anyone is able to help me gather more specific info to try and track this down, that would be greatly appreciated. If you all see this again, could someone please click on the ad and let me know the URL where you end up? That will help me track down and/or block them from targeting our users.

Are you all only seeing ING or are you seeing other brands in this pop-up as well.

I will speak to Google this next week, this should not be happening.

Last edited:
FWIW - It's our policy to not allow pop-ups, this is not something we endorsed or have allowed. Sometimes advertisers sneak things into the ad networks, now we need to figure out who and how so I can prevent it.

I have an iPad but am in South America so I am not seeing the ad (I think it's geo-targeted). If anyone is able to help me gather more specific info to try and track this down, that would be greatly appreciated. If you all see this again, could someone please click on the ad and let me know the URL where you end up? That will help me track down and/or block them from targeting our users.

Are you all only seeing ING or are you seeing other brands in this pop-up as well.

I will speak to Google this next week, this should not be happening.

Here are a few ads I captured:

Dish
redirected to: DISH

Renaissance Hotels
redirected to: Discover Renaissance Hotels | Inspirational Stylish Hotels from Marriott

ING Direct
redirected to: ING DIRECT - Electric Orange checking

Capital One
redirected to: http://www.capitalone.com/small-business/

Ebay
opened the App store on the iPad and directed to the "Watch with Ebay" app.

Last edited:
It's back.
Yep, me too. The "reprieve" was less than an hour in my case.

:mad: ING
:mad: CapitalOne
:mad: Travel Texas
:mad: Renaissance Hotels
:mad: eBay (on behalf of others, I haven't seen that one myself but I am using my iPad much less lately WRT ER.org)

Can you all check again and let me know if they are still happening?

Sorry to report yes, currently ING again. Sigh...

OK, I updated the block list with the domains from FIREd's post #65. If that does not work, somehow, someone is circumventing Google's system and I'll need to figure out how and report them to Google.

Please check again in about an hour and let me know if you are still seeing ING, Dish, Renaissance Hotels, and Capital One.

Lastly, just to confirm this is only happening on mobile browsers (iPad/Android), right?

Still getting them now but I'll check back in an hour. Regarding device, yes, iPad and not desktop for me.

Back
Top Bottom