Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife just got a quote for a 14 day Africa trip for $40k. It’s for our honeymoon 30 years after we got t married.

Wife just got a quote for a 14 day Africa trip for $40k. It’s for our honeymoon 30 years after we got t married.

Sounds great. That's only about $119 an hour, and my mechanic charges more than that.

Bought this over the weekend. replaced the motorcycle .

Attachments

• 20180921_111524.jpg
    20180921_111524.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 146
Great fun! We love our Honda Aquatrax. 165 hp and 60+ mph... but I spend more time just cruising around at 30-40 mph.

My blow that dough was on Friday when I finally bought a trailer for our pontoon boat.

Great fun! We love our Honda Aquatrax. 165 hp and 60+ mph... but I spend more time just cruising around at 30-40 mph.

My blow that dough was on Friday when I finally bought a trailer for our pontoon boat.

had the honda like yours some years back .gas went over $4 and I was worried about the turbo going so I sold it. this one does not have the power of the turbo and the top speed so far is 50. I can't see it ever being faster even though they say 56 top speed.

Yes, the turbo failed after a year but Honda covered the ~$3,000 in repairs... I think the new turbo has been redesigned because we haven't had a problem with the turbo since.

Congrats! $40K for an Africa trip? I thought it would be a lot cheaper! For my honeymoon, I flew to Taipei, Indonesia, spent 8 days at a dive resort/liveaboard, then flew to Australia for a couple of days. I think about 14 in total, and spent about $20K.

I spent money on rat traps and granite stain remover. Talk about blow that dough! Definitely not pleasant way to blow it. But it’s less than $50. I will get some satisfaction when them rats will be killed, not eating my fruits anymore.

I spent money on rat traps and granite stain remover. Talk about blow that dough! Definitely not pleasant way to blow it. But it’s less than $50. I will get some satisfaction when them rats will be killed, not eating my fruits anymore.

LOL :LOL::LOL:

That is about what my sister paid for her Africa trip. You will have a great time and make sure you get a great camera. The Sony RX10 IV with a 600mm all in one camera is excellent! Take look at the revie for your wonderful trip.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv

Thanks for the camera tip! We have a DSLR but nothing that can go 24-600. We have passed our perfect picture phase and just want to capture moments. I can't remember the last time we looked through the 100,000+ photos on our computer and went "Man, I wish we had a little better resolution, WB, ISO, blah, blah, blah...". We mostly just giggle at all the photos we accidentally take before / after the posed photo.

My wife also informed me that the $40k was just for the Safari bit, although that looks pretty nice:
BedroomSayari.jpg

bedroom_1.jpg

Safaris-in-Tanzania-andBeyond-Ngorongoro-Crater-Lodge1-940x350.jpg

Last edited:
OK, wow, that looks pretty awesome!

(As long as an elephant doesn’t crash into your room! - first pic)

Few weeks ago, I bought an Epson Perfection v600 scanner to scan my old photos (35mm negatives and prints). So far, I am very happy with it. I can say, it is best to scan from the negatives, I had scanned quite a few negatives (over 35 years) and the scans are great (clarity, sharpness etc...)

That is about what my sister paid for her Africa trip. You will have a great time and make sure you get a great camera. The Sony RX10 IV with a 600mm all in one camera is excellent! Take look at the revie for your wonderful trip.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv

I just showed this camera to my wife and she is very excited! Thank you very much for the recommendation. It should be perfect for a safari. :dance:

Just signed up for a trip to China in April, it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Also looking at a trip to Thailand before the end of the year. After that will be Italy and France.
I have always been frugal and it is difficult to start spending money, but now is the time to do it while I am still healthy.

Last time I flew back to visit family this summer I had a good experience with basic economy, but I don't like the odds for holiday travel. I booked first class instead. Only about $300 (just under 50%) more. I've kind of spoiled myself with first class flying but I don't travel that much and it makes it tolerable.

LOL - love it!!!!:LOL:

I was passing through El Paso recently and made an appointment for a custom boot fitting at Rocketbuster Boots (https://www.rocketbuster.com). They make amazing handmade boots to suit the most scrutinizing customers and they have a very impressive shop with many talented, happy artisans. Some of their designs are super colorful and could absolutely be considered works of art. I ordered the “Regal Eagle”, which is more traditional in style and I got to pick-out the materials. Definitely a splurge, but they should last a lifetime. I’m patiently waiting while they make them (just for me!).

Ruh-roh - I think I just added something to my list....LOVE those boots.

Signed up for Tru-Green yard fertilization program. The guy who cuts the grass is very reliable and does a good job with that, but whatever he puts down for fertilizer doesn't do a thing about the weeds which have been happily thriving. We got a 7% discount for paying in advance for a year, and another discount (I forgot how much) because I'm over 65. A guy came out yesterday and sprayed, and I can already see some of the weeds are not long for this world.

Okay, not in the league of an African safari, but for someone who has always done all the yard work myself this is an extravagance!:D

Bought my DW a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, The bells have whistles and the whistles have bells.

Did you do a lot of research for that car? What did you pay, if I may ask? I am looking at a newish car - mini-mid SUVish and the first requirement is a manual transmission....those are difficult to find nowadays. I currently drive a 10+ yr old mini cooper s - 6 speed....want something a bit bigger....may keep mini for kicks, may not. In any case, am interested in your process for choosing and buying that particular car if you are willing to share.

The painter will be over Tuesday to paint the front inside of the house, the hallway and 1 bedroom, sixteen hundred.

Bought this over the weekend. replaced the motorcycle .
ALWAYS open up the seat and take a sniff before turning the key! My BIL's best friend just got blown off one of those things. An older one, mind you, but I don't think even the new ones require bilge blowers. He lived, but broke his back and would have drowned had someone not been there to turn him over in the water. Search for personal watercraft explosions and you'll see quite a few.

Here's my blowing a small bit of dough:

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom