Any smart phone case recommendations?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently got a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J3) and need a case for it. There are tons online and it is confusing. Basically I want a case that will protect it when I drop it and keep the screen from being scratched by keys in my pockets and other things. Many cases seem to have the backing case but not the screen protector, but it is hard to tell online. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am thinking of going to Best Buy or similar place just to see the features of cases. Thanks!

I have a Otter Box and love it. I like the combo protection of a silicon glove w/ the hard shell case. It came with a screen protector too...

I have a Otter Box and love it. I like the combo protection of a silicon glove w/ the hard shell case. It came with a screen protector too...
+1. I have an OtterBox Symmetry case, love it. I also have a separate screen protector I bought at Verizon, don't remember what brand. I expected it to scratch eventually and I'd just replace it, but it doesn't have a scratch on it after 2 years. And it doesn't inhibit the touchscreen at all.

My iPhone is still like new after 2 years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just pick up something off Amazon, always under $20.

You can get all kinds of features, like waterproof or able to prop up the stand to watch videos.

I been getting ones shaped like a wallet with a part that folds over the screen. In that cover, there are slots for credit cards or a couple of dollars.

Haven't seen a good reason to pay for a name brand that costs $40 or more.

I'm kind of a veteran, having been a happy iPhone user for eight years now.

For protection, Otterbox is the way to go IMHO. I get one of the more basic versions; they do a great job of protection without high cost.

But eventually your battery will start going downhill and when that happens I switch to a Mophie case with built in battery backup. It's much like having a brand new phone.

I need a holster for work, plus my pockets aren't that big. I use a Verizon shell holster combo and a tempered glass screen protector. These are from Verizon but I'm sure you could find similar for a better price. I've had this combo for 3 years and phone looks brand new. I've had it covered with dirt (long story, never help a friend that's not coordinated) and no scratches on screen. Regarding holster, I don't have a problem with it catching on things but a friend at work is a little pudgy and his catches on everything.

I wanted my iphone6 to appear "naked" so I found a thin clear/smoked gray case that was unobtrusive. Ii's a Spigen case made of semi rigid plastic. The screen protector is tempered glass purchased from the Verizon Store. It's been 2 yrs now and it has protected my phone very well. The Verizon store did a mediocre job of installing the screen protector so it has some bubbles. I was just thinking of getting a new case and protector just like the ones I have now even though they are still attractive and functional

I have an Otterbox case and also a thin glass screen protector that I bought on Amazon and installed myself. After two years of normal use including a few drops, my phone is like new.

Like other, I have the OtterBox. My phone has survived several crashes (physical not digital) and survived with no problems

I have a Spigen case. Very happy with it. Wanted something that wasn't very thick and bulky.

+1000 on the high-end Otter Box. My phone was literally left in the street and run over by more than one car...and survived without a scratch - no joke.

When I bought it, that was the sales pitch. I laughed and didn't believe him - until it actually happened to me.

I just traded my iPhone 5s in for a 7 plus and got this case. It's the EVO Wallet Active Edition Case. Mine is in black...not the pink shown in the utube video. I got the glass screen protector in addition to this. I wanted something to protect my screen protector while in my purse. So...it's sort of a little thin "Wallet" for your iPhone and it clicks shut. The cover is a mesh material. So far I like it. If you click the tcech21 link it will pull up the black one.

I had an Otter case for my 5S and liked it just fine...but wanted to try something different and something that actually covered all the glass while in my purse.

https://www.tech21.com/en_us/evo-wallet-active-edition-wallet-case-for-apple-iphone-7-plus

Last edited:
Watch the various videos at Cliphanger - Quickly access and securely handle your cell phone. This thing is awesome!

Quite a few variations to choose from. They will consult with you over the phone if you have questions.

I can hang my phone on my belt or waistband. It's a great way to to prevent dropping your phone while talking. Various styles of protection.

Personally, I like the Prozkin because it is slim and has the rotating cliphanger.

I believe it's returnable within 2 weeks or 4 weeks.

If you decide to order, PM me and I'll give you an email to list as referrer and I'll get a discount certificate towards my next purchase. Or put in the email of a friend or family member as referrer and that person will get a discount certificate to apply towards a future order.

I had the glass screen cover installed at the phone store.

Kindest regards.

Well..... My needs were to prevent damage when/if the phone were to be dropped onto the concrete. For this need, the $1.99 rubber "sleeves" available on e-bay fit the bill.

I think I have gorilla glass or something like that and have not had a problem with scratches while in my pocket. I do tend to keep my keys out of my phone pocket, however. As such I do not use any type of screen protector.

I think I spent less on my phone AND the case (~$80 total) then some of the Otterboxes I saw when I priced them out a few years ago.

-gauss

Last edited:
My phone already has a nice (aluminum I think) case. No need for another one.

Google Pixel with the factory clear case. Very light and slim, fits a shirt pocket easy.

No more big phones with big cases. I had one of those (Nexus 6) and needed to buy "cargo pants" so I could put it in the leg pockets.

I hate cargo pants. And what use is a cell phone that is so big you don't take it with you?

No more.

I carry a Samsung Galaxy S-series for personal use and an iPhone for work. I have the Otterbox Commuter on the Galaxy and an Otterbox Defender on the work phone. I far prefer the Commuter case as it's more streamlined, but the Defender gets the job done for my more rugged job. Both came with screen protectors and are easy to DIY install. I got mine by searching for the cheapest ones on Amazon. I think I paid $12 for each.

I just pick up something off Amazon, always under $20.

You can get all kinds of features, like waterproof or able to prop up the stand to watch videos.

I been getting ones shaped like a wallet with a part that folds over the screen. In that cover, there are slots for credit cards or a couple of dollars.

Haven't seen a good reason to pay for a name brand that costs $40 or more.

+1. It adds a bit of bulk, but works well to protect the screen and device. This is my favorite type but seems like most people don't get these. Easy to get in the $10 to $20 range.

X2

For iphone I recommend the tech 21 impactology case. It is thin and light and provides excellent shock protection. For screen protector, ZAGG invisible shield HD Glass. I would imagine both are made for the Samsung as well.

I've taken my iPhone 6+ out of its OtterBox case a few times, and though it 'feels' wonderful, it's a very slippery son of a gun. I'd be afraid to have mine without a case, I'm sure I'd have dropped it several times already without its case!

While the Otterbox is an excellent case, I bought my Samsung Alpha because it's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. I bought a Red Shield case for it and put a Mr. Shield tempered glass screen protector on it. It still fits in my pocket, the Otterbox was just too bulky for my needs.

While the Otterbox is an excellent case, I bought my Samsung Alpha because it's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. I bought a Red Shield case for it and put a Mr. Shield tempered glass screen protector on it. It still fits in my pocket, the Otterbox was just too bulky for my needs.
OtterBox's are bulkier, but they provide superior protection. It's just a matter of what your priorites are with a case, no wrong answers. DW has a slim fashion case, but her phone lives in her purse most of the time.

I have a very heavy plastic-over-silicon case. A++ for protection. Two downsides:

1). It really does make the phone heavier and bulkier. All of apple's graceful design goes out the window.

2). I found that it I interfered with my Bluetooth. Car Bluetooth would be flaky unless I took the phone out of my pocket and put it on the console. When I got an Apple Watch (which is wholly reliant on BT) it crushed the battery.

I've taken off the case but now every time I drop it I cringe. Will probably put the silicon back on but leave the plastic off.

Back
Top Bottom