Crime!

Someone I used to care for a lot, thought highly of, and still was friends with on FB, suddenly dropped off Facebook and stopped answering emails. So naturally I googled their name to find out if they were still alive.

Turned out they were in jail. I won't say what their crime was, but it was the last thing I would have expected from that person. Apparently prisoners usually can't access the internet. It really was a shock to the system, to find out what a dark side my good friend was hiding.

One of my recurring nightmares (I have managed to banish most of them) is of somehow accidentally committing a crime I did not have any intention to commit. The dream has me being hauled off to jail, while the horrifying realization that yes, I did do the thing I was accused of and managed to forget it, is sloshing through my brain.

I think it is one of my subconscious's tricks for making me think about what I should be doing, that I'm ignoring.

I am more concerned with increasingly pervasive big city problems leaking into my quiet burb. The last couple years have seen a spike in the vagrant population along with an epidemic of property crime (unlocked cars get rifled through, spare tires stolen, unattended property disappears). I am now seeing the less stable among the vagrants around the shopping centers. Last night a ranting nut trailing pot smoke crossed the supermarket lot as I went out to the truck. Presume there is dope dealing going on. Not real eager to have dw or the girls out after dark these days.

From my 12 person team at my first real job out of college: One guy tried to hire a hitman to kill his wife. Sentenced to 10 years. Another one was caught trying to smuggle 20 pounds of cocaine on an airplane. Sentenced to 4 years.

These were both federal agents.

Many of my old friends from Connecticut during the 1960's - 1970's were Mafia. I have no idea what they became after they made millions and moved to Florida to retire.

So why can't we get a great cannoli down here in FLA?:cool:

Remember a night in Cleveland as kids we screwed up and ended up at Murray Hill . Followed and told ……….Time to get out of here you don't belong here . Nice but firm men . We left .
Not to go off on tangent, but I had a similar experience on the west side of Chicago years ago. I was with a coworker and we were trying to find our way somewhere (pre GPS). We stopped at a service garage to ask directions.

No one in the office, so we walked into the garage where we surprised some very "hard" looking men standing around the open trunk of a car. They did not need to tell us that we did not belong there; I did an about face, pushed my coworker in front of me, and got out of there! :dead:

I don't typically look up people from my past, but came across my diver's certification card and searched my dive instructor from when I got my certification (while I was in high school).

Turns out the guy has three convictions for going after 12 to 15 year olds. First convicted for an offense at age 56, got 7 years. Then another offense at age 74, and another at age 76. You'd think by then sex would be less interesting. I dunno.

I couldn't figure out if it's girls or boys, but he never tried anything with me or my dive buddy back when he was in his 30's.

I guess for a bad person, having power over a younger person never gets old, so to speak. :mad:

You and your buddy might have exuded too much self-confidence for him to "try anything."

I

Turns out the guy has three convictions for going after 12 to 15 year olds. First convicted for an offense at age 56, got 7 years. Then another offense at age 74, and another at age 76. You'd think by then sex would be less interesting. I dunno.

In grad school I needed one more semester and rented a room in a 3 bedroom apt. Shared kitchen, bath, etc. The guy in the next room to mine is right now on trial for:

Racketeering conspiracy, forced labor conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, sex trafficking conspiracy, sex trafficking, attempted sex trafficking, conspiracy to commit identity theft.

So why can't we get a great cannoli down here in FLA?:cool:

Well, some are dead by now, some are in the Witness Protection Program and appear to act very Irish these days, and the rest were not the cooks, but were the owners of the Italian family restaurants in CT (or owned used car lots and roofing companies). :LOL:

Plus, they are into legal crime these days: real estate, tax evasion, smuggling (importing), etc. :D

It is possible that I was involved in some shenanigans of questionable legality, but always kept just enough wits about me to know when to quit or where to draw the line. I call this “having a governor”.

I knew many in my youth who had no such thing...

I worked with a guy for a few years who spent 30 years in prison for killing his boss when he was 19.

At my current job, there was a guy who had surgery so he went on short term disability. Apparently he didn't think it paid enough because he robbed a gas station. He got caught the same day then fired and is now in prison.

Hard to imagine that someone you work with every day could do these kinds of things.

The CFO at one of my employers was charged in an insider trading scheme. He was tipping off a hedge fund manager. He agreed to pay $1.8M to the SEC and admit no guilt, he was also barred from serving on any boards for 5 years. He had many millions, so 1.8 was nothing for him to pay to make this go away. He was a very nice man. I was shocked and disappointed when I heard about this.

Now, that is some hard-core ER. Too bad he had to go back to work.

I worked with a guy for a few years who spent 30 years in prison for killing his boss when he was 19.

A.

Yes, Jeffery Dahmer WAS my cousin's neighbor!

Really?

I met a guy briefly who said that he knew someone who lived in the same apartment complex that Dahmer lived in. Gave the guy chills just thinking about that.

Last edited:
Geeze I forgot some folks:

A childhood friend is doing life for murder. A lopsided love triangle that went bad. Too bad, he was a mental health counselor.

There was a gentleman I worked with in a sawmill, he was guilty of killing his wife's lover. Spent 13 years in Lansing then was released. It came to light his then ex-wife had been sleeping with his public appointed defense attorney. Nice guy, told a lot of interesting stories

Geeze I forgot some folks:

A childhood friend is doing life for murder. A lopsided love triangle that went bad. Too bad, he was a mental health counselor.

There was a gentleman I worked with in a sawmill, he was guilty of killing his wife's lover. Spent 13 years in Lansing then was released. It came to light his then ex-wife had been sleeping with his public appointed defense attorney. Nice guy, told a lot of interesting stories

Do you mean he "seemed nice"?:LOL:

Girl I went to school with from 5 th thru 12 th grade. Convicted of robbing a gas station and killing the attendant the year we graduated.

It's time to stop running from the law. Turn yourself in and pay your debt to society. Only then can the healing begin. With good behavior, they might let you out of the slammer early.

I was caught, as was my best bud. Put us in the back of the squad car, and it was the first time I ever experienced automatic door locks, a new feature back about 1970. Sounds just like a dungeon door slamming.:) We then got taken to the borough jail and given a cell to sit in, after we got our picture and finger prints taken. My dad, who usually worked afternoon shift, was home and he got us out of the slammer, and was not too happy.

Picture perfect example of scared straight. I don't even have a parking ticket with my name on it, or ever had a overdue library book.

Remember a night in Cleveland as kids we screwed up and ended up at Murray Hill . Followed and told ……….Time to get out of here you don't belong here . Nice but firm men . We left .

A friend of my older sister lived in the Murray Hill area while at school. One day her car was stolen from in front of her apartment. She told the bartender (an old fashioned bar with some food). He asked her for the details of the car and asked her not to report it to the police for 24 hours. After her class, her car was outside of her apartment all cleaned up and with a full tank of gas. :dance: She mentioned it to the bartender, and he said it just isn't acceptable for cars to be stolen in the neighborhood!:cool:

Well, I guess basically anybody who smoked weed in the U.S., until recently, was a criminal...

I had a HS classmate commit suicide by cop this year.

Many years ago another went in an armed stand off.

Wasn't too surprised about the recent one.

Used to work with a teacher that spent his summers at the local summer camp. He was caught in 2009. Story made the national news for a blip or two. He now has a life sentence for diddling kids. They only charged him with a few, 10, but suspect MANY MANY more, going back into the 90's.

I learned years ago the best thing to do when you google someone is go to the images tab, pictures speak volumes, etc.

When I was RIF'd, my friend a work would fill me on on the candidates to replace me, as he was being tapped to help interview (boss wanted local vs. remote).

Too bad our recruiters weren't smart enough to google/images: the guy had a unique name, and a half page results of his pic: Half from his linkedin page, the other half in an orange jump suit.

Back
Top Bottom