Ford and GM not happy with their dealers

GMC dealers where I live are adding $3k above MSRP.....and getting it. Trucks are slowly being delivered.

I paid $3k over msrp for my Jeep Wrangler last summer. I wanted a 2 door and they are scarce. I talked the dealer down from the $4k extra that they wanted, and I got a little more for my trade, so it wasn't too bad.

Historically, it's a known fact that for decades, dealers have sold cars and trucks at a discount to the MSRP price (Moroney sticker - suggested retail pricing). This has been "business as usual" and nothing except this shortage has changed that. I would expect that once the supply issues are normalized, vehicle sales will go back to "business as usual".

I dunno about that. Dealers have historically sold vehicles at market value which is typically below MSRP. Now the value is affected by supply issues. There are many dealers that routinely load vehicles with accessories like pinstripes and paint sealant as a gimmick to charge in excess of MSRP, even before the supply chain problems. I appreciate a dealer that is honest enough to call it a market value adjustment.

I dunno about that. Dealers have historically sold vehicles at market value which is typically below MSRP. Now the value is affected by supply issues. There are many dealers that routinely load vehicles with accessories like pinstripes and paint sealant as a gimmick to charge in excess of MSRP, even before the supply chain problems. I appreciate a dealer that is honest enough to call it a market value adjustment.

I wonder why the Fords and GMs of the world aren't cashing in while they can. Actually, they may be. IIRC most dealer invoices are typically bloated with dealer incentives which the dealers can use to make money while lowering prices. I suppose it's possible the mfgs are no longer offering those to dealers and the MSRP is much closer to what the dealer actually has to pay the mfg. No idea if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think I'd do it if I were president of GM or Ford. YMMV

Where is the outrage at my OSB being sold for $40 to $50 a sheet:confused:

Dealers are not the only ones making a buck out there.

That depends on how much they are paying their supplier for the OSB.

Ha Ha, have you ever met an honest car salesman?

Yes. Some years ago I bought a new Camaro from a Chevy dealer, the model they had in stock was close to what I wanted but not exactly. I told the salesman I would buy theirs and do the slight modifications to make it right for me. He told me not to do that, the mods were more complicated than I realized. He volunteered to order me exactly what I wanted, at the original price. And did what he said.

A couple of years later, he knocked a couple of thou off the price of a new Corvette without me even asking, at a time when they were selling at MSRP or greater.

Not the normal salesman...

T
Yes. Some years ago I bought a new Camaro from a Chevy dealer, the model they had in stock was close to what I wanted but not exactly. I told the salesman I would buy theirs and do the slight modifications to make it right for me. He told me not to do that, the mods were more complicated than I realized. He volunteered to order me exactly what I wanted, at the original price. And did what he said.

A couple of years later, he knocked a couple of thou off the price of a new Corvette without me even asking, at a time when they were selling at MSRP or greater.

Maybe he was a gearhead, Gearhead Jim. I don't say this as a joke or sarcasm. There still is a set of car guys out there doing sales. Sometimes they can go full bore screw-the-customer sale, other times they can revert to just loving cars and helping out a fellow gearhead.

That depends on how much they are paying their supplier for the OSB.

Wow! Hang onto this guy. A gear-head selling cars. What a concept!

Back
Top Bottom