Time again to change those (mostly analog) clocks!

Daylight savings time reminds me of the guy whose blanket was too short. His feet kept popping out from under it and getting cold. So he cut a foot off the top of the blanket and sewed it on to the bottom.

Old Indian saying:
American Indians once said, "Only a paleface would think that cutting off 2 inches on one end of a blanket and sewing it on to the other end would make it longer. ;)

I can't exactly answer the question about TV on the Fall-back. On Spring-forward, I once found myself awake and turned on a major service like HBO and put on a movie. When the jump forward occurred, it just nuked the current movie and went to the next. This was years ago, however.

If you follow social media be prepared for all kinds of complaining. r/antiwork is already complaining about not getting paid for the extra hour if you work nights. (They are silent in the Spring.)

Of course, there's the call to make DST permanent. When that happens, be prepared for the wailing and howling about kids going to school in the dark.

And so on...

DW went around and changed the few dumb clocks yesterday afternoon so we'd be ready and somewhat adjusted. Sadly she didn't explain to the dogs who were on a 6AM schedule, now 5.

I just finished resetting the clocks, truck, car, golf cart, garage door opener, garage wall clock, laundry room wall clock, microwave, stove, stereo, grandfather clock, school house clock, my alarm clock, (DW set her alarm clock back last night but didn't bother to set mine). I also had to set up an atomic clock as the batteries went dead a few days ago so I waited till today. Oh, reminds me there is a desk clock in the den that I forgot.....I'm thinking there might be one or two more:confused:? It is reconfirmed in my mind that DST is a waste of my time.

We don’t have any analog clocks but quite a few digital had to be manually reset - oven, microwave, 3 alarm clocks, weather station, 2 thermostats and 2 desktop clock/calendars. Our iPhones, iPads, Macs and cars adjusted themselves. We’re resisting smart home devices…

oven, microwave, convection toaster, bathroom floor thermostat, and house thermostat done. Will do the cars when we drive each one next.
Would love to stop this sometime and stay on the same time year round, I don't care if it's DST or Standard that becomes permanent!

We change about 4 of them and have one analog clock.

know there is a legislation bill introduce to make it law to leave time year around in Daylight Saving Time. I personally would like to see this pass. Living in the north we need more light in the later part of the day more than early morning.

there is a legislation bill introduce to make it law to leave time year around in Daylight Saving Time. I personally would like to see this pass.

You're not the only one, but don't hold your breath. IIRC, the Senate passed it easily but the House hasn't even brought it up for debate.

Still, I'm thinking the fact that Mexico recently did away with DST, except for places along their northern border, might give this a bit of a push.

IMHO, time zones are much more political than practical -- just look at the ridiculously wide Eastern time zone in the US. From the western edge of Indiana to the eastern edge of Maine. :facepalm:

This morning I manually changed the time on 2 analog clocks and 4 digital devices. 2 clocks hang on walls, the most challenging aspect is re-hanging them once updated. 2 digital clocks supposedly adjust automatically. One does, but on the wrong dates, and the other is supposed to track a signal and reset automatically, but DST start and stop still requires a manual switch.

The microwave and oven clocks are pretty simple and straightforward. Newer versions have wifi capability and reset themselves. Just think of all the time saved. Minutes per year!

I reran FIRECalc this morning to see how that extra hour impacts our plan. I think I’m still safe ….

You're not the only one, but don't hold your breath. IIRC, the Senate passed it easily but the House hasn't even brought it up for debate.

Still, I'm thinking the fact that Mexico recently did away with DST, except for places along their northern border, might give this a bit of a push.

IMHO, time zones are much more political than practical -- just look at the ridiculously wide Eastern time zone in the US. From the western edge of Indiana to the eastern edge of Maine. :facepalm:

Yes. DST year round means Indianapolis won't see sunrise in January until well past 9AM.

People in the center or east of zones seem to prefer this legislation most, as do those in far southern latitudes where the diurnal daylight range is blunted.

Yes. DST year round means Indianapolis won't see sunrise in January until well past 9AM.

People in the center or east of zones seem to prefer this legislation most, as do those in far southern latitudes where the diurnal daylight range is blunted.

WOW!
The shoe doesn't fit everyone, but I would even be for just leaving the way it was once was.

Time zones would still need to be in place though.

China has one official time zone, and it covers more degrees of longitude than our 48 contiguous states with their four time zones. So it's definitely possible to deal with a different system.

China has one official time zone, and it covers more degrees of longitude than our 48 contiguous states with their four time zones. So it's definitely possible to deal with a different system.

I'm all for making EST cover the entire US and Canada! :LOL:

Of course, our West coast friends may not like it.

China has a more authoritarian government that makes this possible. But probably the biggest factor is their population is highly biased to the East.

So I looked it up* for some sunrise, sunset times in China:

January 8:
- Kashgar (West): sunrise at 10:16am, sunset at 7:48pm
- Beijing (East): sunrise at 7:36am, sunset at 5:05pm

July 1:
- Kashgar (West): sunrise at 7:32am, sunset at 10:27pm
- Beijing (East): sunrise at 4:49am, sunset at 7:46pm

Interesting...

*- https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

Last edited:

Yes it works because the Communist authoritarian government tells us it does. Just ask Xi. ;)

TV schedules are made up weeks ahead of time. What happens if I look at the TV schedule this evening and it says "M*A*S*H" is on between 1:00am and 2am. It also says "Mannix" is on at 2:00am to 3am. I turn my TV on at 1:30am. What program is on my TV?

MASH - clocks move back at 2am.

They didn’t insert an extra hour in the schedule at 2am (or make it 1am again)? Maybe they just repeast MASH ha, ha.

I agree. I read a book about time zones and DST (written before 2007 when Indiana moved to DST statewide) and the author wrote about how several areas in the western end of the Eastern Time Zone were once in Central but wanted to be on the same time as New York and Washington DC. At one time, Michigan was in Central, as was Indiana and nearly all of Kentucky.

If we went to DST year-round, I suppose some of these areas, especially Indiana, would move back to Central to avoid daily 8:30 AM sunrises in the winter months.

And relating to mentions of The Twilight Zone, I will tell again the story about being on a plane from NY to Cincy in the summer of 2001 next to someone who was changing planes for a 45-minute flight to Indianapolis (at the time, an hour behind Cincy). On his ticket had the local times for departure and arrival, leaving Cincy at 3 PM but arriving in Indy at 2:45 PM, 15 minutes before he left? (Cue Twilight Zone theme.) Similarly, I remember reading about an ABA basketball player in the 1970s (Marvin Barnes, maybe) who had a similar itinerary and refused to board the flight LOL!

We would be better off without daylight saving time. Just adjust work, school, etc times seasonally if you want to save “daylight”.

For that matter, we would be better off without time zones. Just use GMT.

Done! Well, kind of. I'll change the clock in my car tomorrow. :-X

This morning I manually changed the time on 2 analog clocks and 4 digital devices.

Yikes! What a hassle. In my case, I have two identical digital clocks, each with 2" high blue numbers indicating the time. One is in the bedroom, one in the den (but easily visible from the kitchen), and I manually change the time on both to reflect my laptop time, which of course changes automatically. I blissfully ignore all other clocks, including built in clocks on devices like my microwave and oven.

This annoys Frank to no end, so when he's over here he changes the time on those other clocks on my devices. Since I never look at them, I don't care. :angel:
We would be better off without daylight saving time. Just adjust work, school, etc times seasonally if you want to save “daylight”.

For that matter, we would be better off without time zones. Just use GMT.
I'd vote for the "Ronstar Plan" in a heartbeat. That's the way things should be run. If parents are worried about their kids going to school in the dark, that's perfectly easy to fix by starting the schools later.

When I lived in Hawaii we didn't have to change the time like this and it was heaven. Here on the mainland I get serious jetlag twice a year.

Almost done, two more vehicles to do, when I get around to driving them.

Adjusted the old pendulum weight clock today. Slowly moved ahead 11 hours. Got to let all the bells go off. Reverse is a no-no.

Maybe I should have just stopped the pendulum for 11 hours? What do you do? Does anyone have these clocks anymore?

I had trouble sleeping. Got to bed at 11pm (normally go to bed at 10) in order to adjust to the new timing. But I woke up at 2:30am in the new timing. Couldn't fall back to sleep. Finally I took a very light sedative at 4am. So got about 6 hours of sleep which will have to do for today.

We changed here in Mexico a couple of weeks ago. Only had to change one device manually, the microwave. Took all of 5 seconds. Everything else was automatic.

So it's not a *big* hassle to change back and forth, but it's kinda nice to know that I'll never have to do the *physical* adjustment to sleep hours, etc. We walk every morning just around sunrise, so that time will drift throughout the year. We'll just adjust naturally, like the way they used to, back in the olden times...

Back
Top Bottom