My brother just lost his job

One of the smartest people I know addressed the age issue like this.

He told an interviewer that, statistically, young people stay in jobs 3 to 5 years. Companies have to pay thousands of dollars to constantly re-train replacements.

As a 50+ person, he had different values and prized stability and loyalty. Given his age and the fact that he was settled into the community, it was a sure thing that he would not be looking for a new job and therefore the company could reap the rewards of having him for at least 10 years or more and he would be available to train his replacement before he retired.

I told my brother about this approach. He was laid off at age 53 (and he looks about 63). He got the very first job he interviewed for - and said they were impressed by his argument.

Good luck to your brother.

Nui

Sorry to hear about your brother, Michael. I hope things work out for him.

As a 50+ person, he had different values and prized stability and loyalty. Given his age and the fact that he was settled into the community, it was a sure thing that he would not be looking for a new job and therefore the company could reap the rewards of having him for at least 10 years or more and he would be available to train his replacement before he retired.

That is a solid point to make.

Michael, I was thinking about your brother in framing a discussion with my DH about his future. He plans (okay, "plan" might be too strong a word to describe any of his actions) to stop working for the crapola company he now works for in the next year.

I've been encouraging him to look at taking his rather specialized skills to a consulting type business rather than the same-old-same-old in his industry.

I wonder if your brother might be better served and more excited by opportunities to do contract or consulting work instead of changing industries?
Sarah, he's thinking about that. If there were a way to get steady part time or project based work he probably would do it.

I've passed along to him the suggestions here, and he thanks everyone, as do I. He's still in a bit of shock. He is also just beginning to decompress - and those of us that have left high intensity jobs know that feeling.

I really like Nui's approach, too. That is a great point to make for older workers.

I hope your brother gets to enjoy a bit of "what's next" daydreaming before the next gig kicks up. Might be nice to do--the old "when one door closes, another (better) one opens".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom