Need a new vacuum

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Any good recommendations? The last one only lasted 2 years before the hose broke underneath. I was thinking Shark....but seems people either like em' or hate em'. Had a Dyson back in the UK....it was ok, but not worth the money. Upright bagless is what my wife wants again.

We have had good luck with two Dysons. Before that, all the other brands lasted only about 2 years, like you (one only lasted one year). Our first Dyson lasted about 5 years, so we bought another one last year. I did the math, and it came out close, either buying a Dyson every 5 years or the bargain brands every year or two. However, the Dyson picks up dog hair really well, much better than the others did, so that is a big plus for us.

Disappointed- thanks, just looked at that. We have mostly laminate with a couple of throw rugs.....doesn't sound like the Dyson is a winner on flat surfaces. Think I might do some research into the Miele ones.

We have a Hoover Windtunel with power drive. Guy I know has a vacuum cleaner sales/repair store. When we were in the market for a new vacuum, he told us to avoid the bagless type as they take more maintenance and are more prone to repairs. In talking to others in the past I think we made the right decision. I think this vacuum is in the $230 range. We have 90% tile flooring with area rugs so the adjustments are important. Hardwood floors, low-med-high pile carpet setting, power drive on/off are important to us. Comes with lots of attachments.

We have been using the automatic vacuums (iRobot / Roomba) for about 5 or 6 years now. They are expensive but do a good job and are very quiet and automatic. Just touch one button and walk away while it cleans the room(s).

Last edited:
I bought a Shark Navigator Pro in January . I like it . Much easier to use than my Hoover . I have mostly wood floors with throw rugs and it does a great job . I also bought my daughter one and she likes hers. She has carpeting & pets .So far the suction is awesome .

We bought a Kirby somewhere around 1997 and wife still says it's great. It ought to be great, because they sure don't give them away! However, she mentioned a couple of days ago that she'd like to try a Dyson. Now...the Kirby still works, so I'm not sure what that's all about, & I didn't ask....lol. Anyhow, if wife wants a Dyson, I expect we'll be getting a Dyson. She knows who the boss is around here.....

I often hear Dyson vacuum owners rave about how great the product is, yet every time I see a review in Consumer Reports, they claim the vacuum is either average or below average, and significantly overpriced relative to the competition. They've been dinging Dyson for years now. Has anyone figured out why the customers seem to love them so much and CR always puts them down? I've always wanted to try one out, but I keep pulling back after reading their reviews.

Not made in the USA. CR seems to favor American manufacturers.

Not made in the USA. CR seems to favor American manufacturers.

Perhaps, but they rarely have anything good to say about American car manufacturers, and have consistently (for more than 30 years) favored Toyota and Volkswagen over Ford, GM and Chrysler. So I don't know that I see an overall bias toward American manufacturers.

Perhaps, but they rarely have anything good to say about American car manufacturers, and have consistently (for more than 30 years) favored Toyota and Volkswagen over Ford, GM and Chrysler. So I don't know that I see an overall bias toward American manufacturers.
+1

Why Dyson?

I often hear Dyson vacuum owners rave about how great the product is, yet every time I see a review in Consumer Reports, they claim the vacuum is either average or below average, and significantly overpriced relative to the competition. They've been dinging Dyson for years now. Has anyone figured out why the customers seem to love them so much and CR always puts them down? I've always wanted to try one out, but I keep pulling back after reading their reviews.

I was skeptical about Dyson as well but we now have two and I like them both. There is a certain "coolness" about the design and I've grown to appreciate the bag-less design even though I understand you have to clean the filter every few months to prevent it from clogging which could lead to over heating the motor.

Dyson customer service is great, in my opinion. We had a hose break so I called the customer service number - amazing, a person who spoke English answered. She went ahead and registered our vacuum since I hadn't bothered and then sent out a new hose which we received the next day. Swapping the hose was a snap and we were back in business.

We had a Dyson while we were in the UK....plenty of pets and rugs. At the moment we have a house with half the pets and almost no rugs. Dyson seems to get knocked by people as being not so great on hard floors. It was certainly better built than the one (granted....a lot cheaper) we have now.

We have gone through several brands of vacuum cleaners since we always had pets while living in homes with lots of carpets. The Eurekas and Hoovers broke down within months (motor and/or chronic belt problems). But the Dyson (upright) and Electrolux (canister) are still working great after 5 years and 9 years respectively. The Dyson is best for carpets and the Electrolux is best for bare floors IMO. I am amazed at the amount of dirt the Dyson pulls out of seemingly clean carpets - more than any other vacuum I have ever owned.

Could you say why? I have one, and really like it- though I may not be a discriminating user.

Ha

Haha:

I feel that the canister is way too small which means that you may have to stop and empty it before you complete your task. The vacuum head is a bit too narrow not as efficient. I think it is more of a personal choice, I was using a windtunnel, more power, wider area coverage.

had an Electrolux rolling cannister x 10 good years which was longer usable 3 y ago when the hose cracked beyond repair (yes, had already multiply repaired w/ duct tape, and then various more flexible medical/ surgical grade tapes). Motor still works great and it's the 4 yo's vacuum when he is helping vacuum wood dust piles in the garage. Unfortunately could not locate replacement hose.

Since then have had 2 Miele's. One smaller upright cannister that used in kitchen and utility (adjacent). The other is traditional rolling cannister that I use for wood floors and carpets/rugs. The latter has multiple heads and if we had wall to wall carpeting would work great too. I like the head that is gentle enough for wood floors and expensive carpets yet still w/ good suction. We bought from Best Vacuum. I asked for discount since buying multiple (also bought one for parents) which they gave. Bought Miele b/c get the impression if the hose useless in 10 y, I'll be able to get replacement.

Last edited:
had an Electrolux rolling cannister x 10 good years which was longer usable 3 y ago when the hose cracked beyond repair (yes, had already multiply repaired w/ duct tape, and then various more flexible medical/ surgical grade tapes). Motor still works great and it's the 4 yo's vacuum when he is helping vacuum wood dust piles in the garage. Unfortunately could not locate replacement hose.

You can get spare parts for Electrolux but you have to call them directly (I've had to replace the turbo nozzle on mine).

I bought an upright, bagless Electrolux at Costco about 18 months ago. It's heavy, but we only use it in the basement, and frankly I think it does a better job than our central vac we use in the rest of the house. It's just too heavy to lug up & down the steps. I think it was about $120, with free shipping.

I found it on Amazon, and yow-wee did I ever get a deal by buying at Costco:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux®-V...ight-Vacuum/dp/B006SYIFT0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

DW bought a bagged Oreck at Costco three years ago.
I like how light it is and how good it cleans.
Not quite good as far as durability (I needed to replace few parts so far), but designed to be repaired easily and it has a good warranty.

I'd go with a Dyson any day if I had the choice. These vacuums last quite awhile which will end up saving you, especially since there is no bad needed. They are also really good vacuums and your home will be a lot cleaner because them. We used to use Dirt Devil which was pretty good, but when we broke down and bought a Dyson we never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom