NFL 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are quite a few good teams again this year. Injuries and position depth to replace those 1st string players will probably determine which teams remain in the hunt.

That said, I’ll take the Chiefs to make the playoffs again and simply hope for a safe and fun season for everyone.

Seems like the 49ers are practicing subtraction by subtraction :(.

No interest in re-signing Jimmy G and Robbie Gould and trading away Lance.

Banking a lot of chips on Purdy.

Yeah, Gould being let go was a puzzler. OTOH, nobody else has signed him, so with Bosa's contract still being negotiated, maybe even that little bit will help.

Lance was sunk money. A talent we couldn't afford to give playing time to, like Wiseman was for the NBA Warriors.

I personally like Jimmy G a lot and respect him tremendously - in both locker room and PR he is class all the way. But Kyle Shanahan is notoriously touchy about trust, and after he lost KS's trust it hurt JG a lot.

There was a world of difference between the JG who dueled Brees in that 2019 slingfest, and the one who struggled with his footwork and progressions in 2020 & 2021. JG didn't really come back to form until 2022 after Lance got hurt; I felt he had the attitude of "screw Kyle" and just went back to slinging the ball as he had before.

But he does get hurt a lot - the Niners have led the league in injuries several times in recent years. Kyle gets a lot of grumblings from fans that he shorts the OL, secondary, and special teams consistently. It's a pattern, and very obvious - the RT position has never been solid, and that's almost a decade's worth.

I have an outside antenna in the attic and get great OTA reception 40+ miles from the transmitter. YRMV of course, but maybe worth a try. It was a lot easier to put it in the attic than mount it on the roof, at least for me.
+2 According to the various websites we shouldn't be getting squat for OTA, but we get CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS... but not Fox even though the Fox and NBC transmitters are on the same tower. The attic antenna is wired to a Fire TV Recast OTA DVR in the attic which "broadcasts" either live TV or recorded shows to each of our 4 TVs via wifi so no cable to the attic is needed.

Last edited:
Bears' fans have been salivating on social media about playing the Packers--ever since the Rodgers' trade. The game will be in Chicago on Sunday. I won't make any predictions but will be watching with keen interest. Rodgers went 6-10 during his first year of starting. Love is inheriting an 8-9 team from last year. This year's team is much younger and faster. Looking forward to the start of the season.

Bears' fans have been salivating on social media about playing the Packers--ever since the Rodgers' trade. The game will be in Chicago on Sunday. I won't make any predictions but will be watching with keen interest. Rodgers went 6-10 during his first year of starting. Love is inheriting an 8-9 team from last year. This year's team is much younger and faster. Looking forward to the start of the season.

I've been concerned about that ever since the schedule came out. The Packers have an 8 game win streak against the Bears and I really want it to continue. I don't think we make the playoffs this year but if we can at least go 2-0 against the Bears then that is something positive.

I have an outside antenna in the attic and get great OTA reception 40+ miles from the transmitter. YRMV of course, but maybe worth a try. It was a lot easier to put it in the attic than mount it on the roof, at least for me.
I'm ~70 miles away from the nearest FOX affiliate transmitter. From what I have read (FCC DTV Reception Map), even with a good antenna, 30 feet up, my reception would still be considered weak, at best. But maybe worth a try.

I'm ~70 miles away from the nearest FOX affiliate transmitter. From what I have read (FCC DTV Reception Map), even with a good antenna, 30 feet up, my reception would still be considered weak, at best. But maybe worth a try.

Yes, 70 miles is a stretch for good OTA reception.

I would guess the Bears are not likely to be a playoff team in 2023 (or probably won't be able to progress past the first round), but I was really impressed by the enthusiasm the team showed in the preseason game vs Buffalo. It looked like a real change from the few times I was able to watch them last year.

I'm a former Chicagoan, but have lived out West for a long time. I like Fields a lot and can sympathize with those who point to a crappy OL line for his having to run so often (in addition to having a mediocre receiving corps last year).

For the first time in a while, all four NFC North teams are capable of winning the divisional title. Exciting to watch what happens, altho nail-biting for their fans!

You might try an over the air (OTA) antenna. I've got one, and it gets my local Fox affiliate ... for free!

Yeah, that is the only way for me to watch football games. I get to see all the games on FOX. Unfortunately NBC does not work on my antenna.

Yeah, that is the only way for me to watch football games. I get to see all the games on FOX. Unfortunately NBC does not work on my antenna.
Not to get too far off-topic, but I've found that with my OTA antenna just moving it a bit sideways, or up or down a few inches, or reversing it, can greatly affect the reception of certain TV channels. Heck! I've got my antenna hung next to a sliding patio door, and sometimes whether the door is closed or slid partially or fully open can affect reception of some channels. The weather too.

And, of course, it is recommended that you do a "re-scan" periodically, at least monthly.

Last edited:
I would guess the Bears are not likely to be a playoff team in 2023 (or probably won't be able to progress past the first round), but I was really impressed by the enthusiasm the team showed in the preseason game vs Buffalo. It looked like a real change from the few times I was able to watch them last year.

I'm a former Chicagoan, but have lived out West for a long time. I like Fields a lot and can sympathize with those who point to a crappy OL line for his having to run so often (in addition to having a mediocre receiving corps last year).

For the first time in a while, all four NFC North teams are capable of winning the divisional title. Exciting to watch what happens, altho nail-biting for their fans!

I agree that this season the NFC North division is a toss up.

I had high hopes for the Bears. They are explosive with Fields (blink and he could be off to the races, he is that good a runner) and DJ Moore. But their OL and defense still not good..

I think the opener vs the Packers is a toss up. I give edge to Bears offense with Fields and Moore. But I think the Packers have better coaches.

Give it a try, you may be surprised. I was.

If you can't get Fox via OTA, how about You Tube TV or Hulu with Live TV or Fubo? Use it for the season and then cancel.

I use NFL+. I get all the games streamed on my big screen for $14.95/ month. I pay for Sept-Dec, then cancel because January games are usually all network.
The only catch is the games are broadcast an hour after the live game. You can also watch condensed versions without commercials/huddles and it gets the game down to about 30-40 min.

Give it a try, you may be surprised. I was.

If you can't get Fox via OTA, how about You Tube TV or Hulu with Live TV or Fubo? Use it for the season and then cancel.
I'm already paying $252mo for TV services... That's enough for me to "cry uncle". I may break down and buy more but I don't like the "content/streaming game" we are being forced into it. But that's me.

I'm researching the antenna, rotor, mast combos now and will probably give it a try. If I do this, I'm going "high", and will need guy wiring.:( I've got plenty of room so that's not a problem but it will be a mini project and it's too dang hot to do much outside now. I may try a quick and dirty 25' first but I suspect I'll need to go a lot higher.

And yes, I have thought about getting "another" streaming service for the season and then cancelling but I'd like to have a good OTA solution for longer term anyway. For now, I just plan to watch the games I can't get live the next day since they usually replay on "some other stations" pretty quick.

All this may become moot, if the Cowboys have a bad season. :) Anyway, if I wanted to see a losing Texas team, I can always watch the Texans anytime.

Last edited:
Should be a "slam dunk" for KC tonight. (Not trying to mix sports terms) :)

And, for the fun of it, the NFL's Quarterback Rankings/Index for Week 1. Let's see how they all perform this weekend. (Expected starters, as of today.)

Quarterback Rankings
1. Patrick Mahomes KC
2. Jalen Hurts PHI
3. Joe Burrows CIN
4. Josh Allen BUF
5. Justin Herbert LAC
6. Aaron Rodgers NYJ
7. Trevor Lawrence JAX
8. Tua Tagovailoa MIA
9. Lamar Jackson BAL
10. Dak Prescott DAL
11. Kirk Cousins MIN
12. Russell Wilson DEN
13. Geno Smith SEA
14. Jared Goff DET
15. Brock Purdy SF
16. Derek Carr NO
17. Daniel Jones NYG
18. Deshaun Watson CLE
19. Justin Fields CHI
20. Matthew Stafford LAR
21. Mac Jones NE
22. Jimmy Garoppolo LV
23. Kenny Pickett PIT
24. Ryan Tannehill TEN
25. Baker Mayfield TB
26. Jordan Love GB
27. Bryce Young CAR
28. C.J. Stroud HOU
29. Desmond Ridder ATL
30. Anthony Richardson IND
31. Sam Howell WAS
32. Joshua Dobbs ARI

I'm getting out of touch with the QB's... I scanned the list above and only recognized about 10 to 12 names. :(

I'm getting out of touch with the QB's... I scanned the list above and only recognized about 10 to 12 names. :(

I know QB's by name more than any other position, 22 of the 32 on that list.

I am a huge fan of the ManningCast. I will always watch that when it is on, instead of the regular commentary. I enjoy seeing Peyton and Eli talking about the game and not taking it, or themselves, too seriously.

This is a long (7 minute) commercial that just came out regarding them auditioning for a third member of the show. It is one of the most hilarious things I have seen. Lots of great cameos. DW had to come over to see what I was laughing at - and even she, not being a football fan, enjoyed it.

Last edited:
"slam dunk", "Cake Walk"

We in Detroit love to see that over confidence.

"slam dunk", "Cake Walk"

We in Detroit love to see that over confidence.
Well, you guys make great cars.:) Actually I don't care who wins this one, just hope it's a good game.

Looking at the Quarterback rankings, I'm surprised Stafford is ranked so much lower than Goff (given that Detroit got Goff PLUS a bunch of draft picks for Stafford and then LA then went on to win a superbowl with Stafford)?

The Lions deserved to win that one. KC was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom