Smartphone confusion, need help!

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am thinking of going with Cricket Unlimited data for $65 a month but in order to use this the way I want (streaming some TV video), I need a smartphone that is capable of HDMI out. I don't want to watch movies or tv on a small screen in our RV. I have heard Chromecast and other wireless solutions can be laggy and/or not work with all applications.

The Samsung Galaxy line seemed to have what I want, except they stopped offering HDMI out after the S5. I could buy an older used unit I guess (seems to be S5's available on Amazon).

Am I missing something here? Any idea why Samsung would stop offering HDMI out on their flagship line? Another phone that has this that I could consider?

Couldn't you use your smartphone as a hotspot and connect a Roku type device to it to stream video?

Keep in mind also that many "unlimited" plans still prohibit tethering or using it as a hotspot, though. It's "unlimited" subject to what they consider acceptable usage of the service as defined by the small print.

Yes, I wanted to stream to a tv without tethering.

Chromecast, Roku, and similar devices will require tethering (or some internet connection). Essentially, your phone acts as a remote, the Chromecast device pulls the video from the internet (which I assume you don't have in an RV).

Look into MHL (if the device supports it) - takes the USB port to an HDMI output to a TV:

How to connect an Android phone or tablet to your TV | Expert Reviews

Does Cricket support tethering (hot spot)?

-ERD50

Chromecast, Roku, and similar devices will require tethering (or some internet connection). Essentially, your phone acts as a remote, the Chromecast device pulls the video from the internet (which I assume you don't have in an RV).

Look into MHL (if the device supports it) - takes the USB port to an HDMI output to a TV:

How to connect an Android phone or tablet to your TV | Expert Reviews

Does Cricket support tethering (hot spot)?

-ERD50

Cool, thanks. Cricket does not allow tethering on the unlimited plan. It sounds like the older Samsung S5 which does have the MHL port and does do 1080P would be the way to go. Just have to buy a used or refurbished one since they are no longer made.

Just one other thought, my SIL who has an appreciation for security tells me that older phones do not get updates making them more vulnerable to hacking. I am updating my phone now. Not that it does not work but I cannot get the latest Google updates (meaning security) for the model I have.

SIL and I might be over cautious but that is the approach I have elected to take.

Back
Top Bottom