The election

Hmmm, unless holding citizens and legal residents incommunicado without charges for months to years is one of the tenets of "freedom" then he should start in the US first.

Ain't you one of them aliens, Hyper? Mr. Ashcroft is bound to be curious about seditious opinions like that.
;)

Ain't you one of them aliens, Hyper?  Mr. Ashcroft  is bound to be curious about seditious opinions like that.

Oh I am indeed - I even have little antennae that I hide in my hair just like "My Favorite Martian". It doesn't matter though as it is now possible to effectively strip your US citizenship away by having the president issue the magic words "illegal combatant" and suddenly nobody knows where you are or when you'll be seen again.

Does it make you feel any better about the election
to know that at least 51% of the nation was happy
with the outcome?

Get over it people. The silent majority finally spoke!

Cheers,

Charlie

with the outcome?
Actually, that's what concerns me. But I'm getting over it. My current theory is that Bush is to the Republicans what Clinton was to the Democrats, and the other side just doesn't get it.

I've done pretty well staying out of the politics here, but I thought I'd post that article given the earlier questions about Bush's policies going forward.

with the outcome?
Charlie

It's only about 31% that voted for Bush. ~40% didn't vote at all.

Bush won. I'm giving him a second chance (not by choice).

with the outcome?

But Charlie...49% of people are below mid-point in intelligence! ;)

So maybe another 2% just clicked on the wrong name?

Charlie, the bottom line is that the rich make much more money than they spend, so any shift from an income tax to a VAT will screw the middle class and help the rich.
Exactly. And if that weren't true, then why does this administration see the need to change the tax system?

Well,if it makes you (and anybodt else so inclined) feel better there was apiece written recently by a "libertarian" names Lew Rockwell who  said a Bush win would be the  best  thing that could happen to the Left. (I read that Democrats) . . .
I was thinking about that today. I believe that after 4 more years of the current Nazis, there will be a likely backlash so intense that Hillary Clinton is likely to be the next President. Won't that be a just reward for the bible thumping pro-Bush crowd? :D

I believe that after 4 more years of the current Nazis, there will be a likely backlash so intense that Hillary Clinton is likely to be the next President.  Won't that be a just reward for the bible thumping pro-Bush crowd?   :D
Unlikely. The last 4 years were scary enough that just about every card-carrying liberal in the country registered and tried to vote these turkeys out of office. Amazingly, the GOP managed to register even more bible thumpers to keep them in office. The sad fact is that the thumpers outnumber the thinkers. And now the thumpers vote.

If this keeps up, I'll have to learn how to speak Canadian.

Actually, I've seen the monkey in charge spouting something lately that would have me peeing myself with laughter if it weren't so depressing. He claims to have a mandate and political capital from the election. I mean, Iknow the guy is dumb and not very good at math, but even his coke-addled brain should be able to grasp the idea that winning with one of the slimmest post WWII popular majorities does NOT mean that you got an overwhelming mandate. I suppose it is better than stealing office after losing the popular vote, but still...

NO NO NO!!! That's not right. It's Eh!!   :D

Bruce

Actually, it's more like "Eh?" with a tilt at the end. Example: "It's snowed last night, eh?", "Could you pass me a beer, eh?", "No hockey sucks, eh?.

Jane

Losing gracefully seems to be a lost art amonst the angst ridden left. FWIW, I'm no bible thumper...I could care less about gay marriage (it's about 199 out of 200 on my list of critical issues facing the country). I am a free market libertarian who voted for GWB as the much lesser of two evils.

Regards,
Mark

A fiscally conservative, socially moderate Democrat
would probably have defeated Bush in a landslide.

I feel somewhat sorry for main-stream Dems. You
have allowed your party to be hi-jacked by the
extreme, bible bashing Moore/Fonda Hollywood
and rock star crazies.

What this country needs is for the pragmatic moderates of both parties to combine and form a 3rd party that
rejects the extremes of both. A coalition of moderates
who respect the values of "bible-thumpers" and
doesn't regard them as stupid Neanderthals and
those who feel that it is our responsibility to provide
a safety net for the less fortunate would set this
nation on the right course.

Cheers,

Charlie

And, to make learning Canadian speak fun for the whole family, rent out a copy of "Brother Bear". Our McKenzie brothers are given a role of, what else, a pair of laid-back moose!!

I enjoy this board very much, eh?

Jane

I feel somewhat sorry for main-stream Dems. You
have allowed your party to be hi-jacked by the
extreme, bible bashing Moore/Fonda Hollywood
and rock star crazies.

I saw F-911 and read 'Stupid White Men'. I didn't catch any bible bashing in either. Don't know about Fonda.

Since when is advocating the 'separation of church and state' bible bashing? Anyone against the 'Department of Faith Based Initiatives' is a bible basher. I think it was in West Virginia where the GOP sent a letter indicating that democrats whould take their bibles away.

Is the teaching of evolution in science classes without equal time for creationism is also bible bashing?

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to have the government support and endorse their religion.

Religion is a private matter and does not deserve a place in science education. There really is a great divide here.

who respect the values of "bible-thumpers"  and doesn't regard them as stupid Neanderthals

Only when those bible-thumpers learn to respect the choices and lifestyles of others will they stop being regarded as "stupid Neanderthals" and given the same level of respect as other believers in magical beings such as Wiccans, astrologers, flying saucer loonies, and bigfoot fanatics.

Chuck-Lyn has it right. I think a moderate, common-sense democrat could have cleaned George W.'s clock.
Personally, I grossly misunderestimated the power of the evangelical vote. Guess I'll know better next time.

What this country needs is for the pragmatic moderates of both parties to combine and form a 3rd party that
rejects the extremes of both.  A coalition of moderates
who respect the values of "bible-thumpers"  and
doesn't regard them as stupid Neanderthals and
those who feel that it is our responsibility to provide
a safety net for the less fortunate would set this
nation on the right course.  

Cheers,

Charlie

Should probably say "a coalition of moderates who is determined to separate the state from religion, protect basic human rights and keep the national budget in the black.

Jane

Should probably say "a coalition of moderates who is determined to separate the state from religion, protect basic human rights and keep the national budget in the black.

Jane

Yup, that's the part that they don't get.

If we allow a Christian State Supreme Court Justice to place a monument of the 10 Commandments in a Courthouse, then the State is endorsing this form of Religion.

This is not a 'Christian' Nation, it is a Nation that was founded with Freedom of religion being a cornerstone. Our Forefathers immigrated from Countries where the State formally endorsed a Religion.

This is where the Christian Right is headed, and that is the problem. Even if 98% of the people in the United States decided that they wanted the U.S. to be a Christian Nation, it does not make it Constitutional. And that is why we need 'Activist Judges' to decide what is Constitutional and what is not. That is a judges' job. Voters do not get to decide.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to have the government support and endorse their religion.... There really is a great divide here.
Good point JohnBlake. To expand on it a bit - there are a great many religious people who truly believe that the agenda of this administration is inconsistent with the tenants of their faith. I am a Catholic. Some of our priests and bishops have been trying to reduce the American Catholic church into a wing of the Republican party. Yet the majority of Catholics voted for Kerry despite intense efforts by many priests and bishops to politicize the church. If this majority would organize a movement, and convince even a portion of their ranks to stop contributing until the leaders stop politicizing the church, maybe this razor-thin margin could be turned around. I have stopped contributing, and I told them why. They listen to money - if there's enough involved. State+religion is a poisonous combination and I believe both are served by trying to keep them apart. I'll be damned if I will continue to fund their merger, while simultaneously funding my own demise.

Even if 98% of the people in the United States decided that they wanted the U.S. to be a Christian Nation, it does not make it Constitutional. And that is why we need 'Activist Judges' to decide what is Constitutional and what is not. That is a judges' job. Voters do not get to decide.
Cut-Throat - well said, as usual!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom