What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned that I don't know how to "be". I'm a master of "do" but "being" is hard.

I had the same issue. It takes time to figure it out but it does finally come to you. Or at least it did for me.

I retired.

Congrats!

Today I had an epiphany.

I learned that I don't know how to "be". I'm a master of "do" but "being" is hard.

Sounds very existential and it's certainly a 1 percenter problem but it is something I have to learn... just like I learned to ride a bike. There may be some bumps and bruises along the way, but it is something that is learnable with practice.

Sometimes when conditions are right, you can "be" while you "do". Like during a peaceful walk or bike ride.

Today I had an epiphany.

Sounds very existential and it's certainly a 1 percenter problem but it is something I have to learn... just like I learned to ride a bike. There may be some bumps and bruises along the way, but it is something that is learnable with practice.

I had the same issue. It takes time to figure it out but it does finally come to you. Or at least it did for me.

Congrats!

Sometimes when conditions are right, you can "be" while you "do". Like during a peaceful walk or bike ride.

I think I've got this stuff down. I'm so slow at building my house, that I'm "being" "doing" all the time. (Not to mention time outs for more important things like skiing.)

We went to get a dental checkup. After $210 (for both of us), we went grocery shopping and saw that the store had Dungeness crab. So I got a biggest one they had, and some steaks. After a homemade surf-and-turf dinner, I am now relaxing and checking my stocks.

The S&P is flat, yet I am up 0.23% today. Cannot really complain, even though the crab is not as sweet as I have had (maybe not good season?), and I messed up on making the pan sauce (wife said it was burnt and bitter). Maybe a shot of XO later will make up for it.

Last edited:
I had my eyes checked and my hearing checked at Costco today. It had been about four years for the eyes. New glasses prescription but not a big change. Glasses ordered. First hearing test in 15 or 20 years. I'm still pretty deaf. That hasn't changed in 45 years. I looked at the Costco hearing aids. I'm not sure they would work very well for me. I might try them though, they give you 6 months to decide if they help you.

Be Here Now - Baba Ram Dass

Today I had an epiphany.

It's learnable. Took me about a year. To speed your process don't listen too hard to advice about what you "should" be doing, even from yourself.

Ice fished and hiked.

I opened Spotify and typed in "Baba", looking for the song, 'Baba O'Riley".
Played several Who versions, and a likeable Indie version.

This stanza takes on new meaning from when it was first released:

Sally take my hand
We'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together, before we get much older
45 years gone by since it was first released in 1971.
:cool:

How far did you have to drive to get to Costco? :)

Its quite a drive. Probably about 1 1/2 hours down there. I stack up whatever I can in one trip. I also visited with the off road shop that is building a Jeep for the kid's camp and swapped out an electrical service panel that was missing parts at Home Depot. The Jeep is going to be awesome. He has 21 suppliers/companies that are donating equipment and a group of volunteers doing the build.

Day 2 epiphany. I don't have to be out of the house to be enjoying retirement.

After posting "year 2 retirement blues" you guys gave me a lot to think about.

Something that occurred to me today is that I can be home all day, not doing anything productive and it's ok.

I was tied to my work desk 8 - 12 hours/day for more than 30 years so I think I equated "freedom" with being able to go and do. But there isn't anything that I especially want to go and do other than continue taking woodshop classes.

So I'm picking back up my Ancestry.com interest, looking into some online strategy games, and have checked out some library books. Sounds like I'm still "doing" but for me this is super chill :)

Looking forward to warmer weather, I ordered two new R/C airplanes, a J-3 Cub that I've had my eyes on for a long time and a Waco biplane that was recently released and I couldn't resist. They both take the same battery and I ordered two of those. One is on sale, I had a 10% discount coupon, and the cc I used had a $45 credit on it from a promotion last December so that got the whole cost just under $200.

Got the eyeroll from DW.:)

Something that occurred to me today is that I can be home all day, not doing anything productive and it's ok.

My down time used to be intruded on with the thoughts of all the things that need to be done. Sitting back relaxing, reading or playing a game, and get to thinking about the laundry, the cleaning, the grocery shopping, homework, the chores, the responsibilities, the duties at work, etc.

The mind was just never at rest, never able to enjoy what I was doing at the time because something else was always waiting. Looming.

At some point, I realized this stuff was always going to be there. Everything is cyclical. It didn't matter if the laundry got done right this second, it was going to be waiting for me again here in a few days anyway. Grocery shopping came and went and came again every week. Things got dusty every day, the car tires slowly deflated and needed pumped up, the bike chain would always come around again to needing cleaned and lubed.

I don't know why thinking of all the things we do to maintain our life comes as a never ending loop helped me not to worry and relax more, but it did. Maybe because no matter how much work I did on whatever, it was never going away. So might as well relax and enjoy doing whatever is happening now.

Except there has been so little joy today. Due to a snafu of timing, we're running out of the pet's special prescription diet. I called everywhere, and one place an hour away said they had it. Well, apparently they misheard what I asked for, even after making clear to specify with some phonetic alphabeting, because I get there and nothing. Nothing at any of the stores in the state. None of the vets and hospitals open today carried any.

Get back and a few things needed mailed out, so I figure why not just stop by and get that done. They're boxes, nothing heavy but enough to make it take a few trips between the house and car, and I pull up to the store to find I'm 20 minutes late from them closing.

What a day! :nonono:

Finally received my 1099s from USAA and finished my taxes. What I get back from the Feds is going straight to the state. Ugh!

I froze my face off while hiking 5 miles today. Wind along the water way was brutal.

63 and nice here in Iowa so I walked several miles and also rode my bike. We sat on our deck and had hot tea. A fun, busy retiree day and I am now ready for bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom