What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I flew a patient home from Santa Monica to Paso Robles in Central Coast California. Today I volunteered on a tourist railroad. Tomorrow is First Sunday exhibitions at my local airport. Monday is AARP tax day (whew).
BUT, I love having the time to do all of this!

We have had the nicest winter weather here in central Iowa. No snow and nice again today. So far I have walked outside once and helped with the laundry. On Sundays I meet my mom to swim at our local gym and then we hit Pizza Ranch for an early lunch. I hope to bike ride with my son and family this afternoon.

My best friend from 3rd grade looked me up on Linkedin. We met for a cup of coffee and drove around our old neighborhood sharing memories of childhood. It was a lot of fun and I appreciated that he'd gone to the effort to find me. I was also impressed that he had done so well for himself coming from tough circumstances (8 siblings and he was only one to graduate from high school).

Just got back from a heart to heart with my sister. She's been offered a buy-out/early retirement and wanted to run some questions by me. She knows I'm very happily retired... and wanted to see if I had any regrets, how tight money is, etc. When all was said and done, I think she's taking the deal... She turns 60 later this year so she already has access to her IRA/403B/etc... and the pension bump she gets will make it easy to get by.

She said my 'less stressed' version of myself once part of the inspiration.

Ironically we just had a chat 2 months ago where she had set her glide path for age 62... She mostly likes her job - but is looking forward to more freedom. Like many teachers, she'll do some tutoring and subbing to supplement.

I felt proud to have inspired her. :)

Made my daily visit to 90 yo DF in rehab. The physical therapist came to get him after about an hour so I left. I think he likes all the attention from a fit, young lady, not that he'd ever admit it.

Dropped by my uncle's room in the LTC wing of the same facility for the first time since they brought him there a few days ago. So sad, he tries to talk but intelligible words don't form.

I think I'll be shopping for LTC insurance as one of my first retirement projects. Dear Aunt says the cost of his LTC is $8000/month.

Was it uphill both ways? :D

I think for that phenomena to happen you have to be in your 60's or 70's Cause it happened like that in the old days according to my Dad. :LOL: On some of the steeper trails it can be uphill both ways!
The weather wasn't much better today and there were fewer people in the park.

Bought a new 5th wheel today - not just new to us, brand spankin' new - the first new RV we've purchased in the 40+ years we've been RVing.

Our old trailer was 10 years old. We bought it used 6 years ago and spent 294 nights in it. All that wear and tear combined with a decade of hot Texas sun took its toll and my better half dropped a few not-so-subtle hints that it was time for a change. We decided to downsize to a slightly smaller trailer but with more bells & whistles, like an auto-leveling system. The smaller size will make it easier to tow and should allow us to get into some older parks with smaller RV spots.

I figure this will be the last RV we buy as age will probably put a halt to our RVing adventures before it wears out. And since it will likely be the last, I used that as justification to buy new. Can't take it with you, even if it is on wheels...

Worked on my 2016 income tax returns this weekend. Almost done, just have the local return to complete and I will be finished for another year. We really do need tax simplification in the U.S. All the rules for income, deductions, credits, etc are way out of control!

Just finished a 4 day run in a pit orchestra for a high school musical. This is the second time I've played in pit orchestra since high school. Man was it a lot of work. The music was very difficult with crazy key changes and it was really easy to get lost. Impossible page turns without time to do so and also change instruments. I switched instruments no less than 75 times. But man it was fun and really elevated my playing skills. I also caught a cold this week. It's a neat feeling getting paid doing something I love to do.

After however many years of putting it off, I finally downloaded Steam and Origin, a couple of the biggest PC game hosting sites. It coincided with some really nice 75% off sales between them and the one I already have, so my gaming library has grown by about a dozen games.

I'm taking a few programming courses this semester, to see if it's a hobby I'd like to pick up. It's interesting that some programming languages are coming a whole lot easier than others. I spent six hours trying to get through one particularly problematic assignment. I'm realizing I might like the hardware side of networking better, though the puzzle solving here is rewarding. Frustrating. Oh so frustrating. But rewarding when it all actually comes together and works properly!

I got a call from the dealership today saying the CR-V I want won't be able to be swapped from another delivery, so they'll have the factory try and get one out soon. I want to try to get used to it before the total knee replacement, so hopefully it won't take 3-4 months for delivery.

Put the finishing touches (poop catching tray) on the breeding pen/quail jail because the chicks are rapidly approaching maturity and with it the risk of bad behavior/fighting, so I need to be able to separate the offenders as necessary. Then brewed a batch of beer using an experimental ingredient (home malted blue corn) and made some bread with some of the spent grain.

Did the designated driver thing for DW who had a colonoscopy this morning.

Surprisingly, the anesthesia routine was different, although I didn't ask about the details.

Last time, in the recovery room she told me the same story at least five times in about 20 minutes without ever realizing she had just told it. This time there was none of that and she came out of it pretty quickly. Nice change.

I have mine scheduled in a couple of weeks and hope it goes as well.

The only down side is that she said the prep (Suprep) was incredibly nasty and she nearly brought it right back up a couple of times. Not looking forward to that part.

We went for a 5 mile run around Diamond Head this morning...5 miles from the front of our hotel, thru Kapiolani park, around Diamond head, back past the park and Honolulu Zoo and back to the hotel. The weather wasn't cooperative yesterday so we skipped our usual run. Today's weather is beautiful. There's probably a walk thru the park for us in store for this afternoon. If we have good weather again tomorrow, we'll probably do a Double loop around the park for 4 miles before we shower up and fly home.

Walt - You're going to need a hangar to store all of these planes!

I'm already getting some uh, "feedback" from DW about the number of airplanes. When I bought the radio transmitter I mentioned to her that it had memory enough to store 250 models. She looked at me and said "Don't even think about it!"

I'm gonna try and sneak 'em in one at a time.:LOL: They keep coming out with new ones that are hard to look away from.

I'm gonna try and sneak 'em in one at a time.:LOL: They keep coming out with new ones that are hard to look away from.

Paint them all the same color, it might confuse her into losing count. ;)

Bought a new 5th wheel today - not just new to us, brand spankin' new - the first new RV we've purchased in the 40+ years we've been RVing.
Congratulations! You really enjoy RVing so I know it is going to get plenty of use. :)

Just finished a 4 day run in a pit orchestra for a high school musical. This is the second time I've played in pit orchestra since high school. Man was it a lot of work. The music was very difficult with crazy key changes and it was really easy to get lost. Impossible page turns without time to do so and also change instruments. I switched instruments no less than 75 times. But man it was fun and really elevated my playing skills. I also caught a cold this week. It's a neat feeling getting paid doing something I love to do.
Sounds great to find something so rewarding. Congrads.

The only down side is that she said the prep (Suprep) was incredibly nasty and she nearly brought it right back up a couple of times. Not looking forward to that part.

You know we're retired when we talk about this stuff. :LOL:

I had my third one last year (started early due to a family history). Each of the first two times I was awake and remembered every second of the procedure even though they said I wouldn't. NP, though, as the valium-like stuff they gave me made me not care. This time it was general anesthesia which I liked better. I wonder if they changed the protocol.

I also had Suprep. I got a couple of tips from some other internet forum. First, chill it down as cold as you can, which dulled the taste. Second, get a large-diameter straw and put it as far back in your mouth as you can, bypassing as many taste buds as possible. Suck it down as fast as possible.

Good luck, and bear in mind what a life-saving procedure this can be!

First Monday of retirement. Slept until 8:00, took it slow and easy all morning. Made myself a latte. After lunch, visited DF in the nursing home, then came home. Started a batch of marinara sauce to simmer all afternoon, then started bagels from scratch using this recipe which I've made several times before. Takes some time, but it's worth it. Now that I have time. :D

GalaxyBoy >>>> nice and it only gets better. Lol

I moved snow today and was an ugly day with and snow. I call these days my holiday because I just don't do anything but putz! Lol

Had an early conference call right after we got the kids off to school. After that worked on taxes and some other paperwork, ran errands this afternoon, made tequila-peanut chicken for dinner, and trying out streaming Sirius XM on a free sample basis. The weather turned cold and extremely windy, so we curtailed outdoor activities for today.

I just pulled the fire alarm off the ceiling and threw it out the door because it would not stop beeping. I guess I will get another to keep DD from yelling at me. This is the third one I have had in this motor home in less than 3 years. It was supposed to last 10 years. Didn't make it 10 months.

The thing is truly worthless. I woke up this morning and I thought I could detect something beeping, but just barely. If I moved my head just a bit, I couldn't hear anything. When I got up, I saw that the alarm was going off. Silenced it and when I got back from taking a shower, it was going off again. That alarm is about 15 feet from my bed down a two foot wide hall with a direct line of sight to the lower half of the bed and I can't or can just barely hear it when I am awake. That's pretty useless.

Enough of a rant of this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom