What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

I guess we are not doing a good job in guessing the lady? I may have missed the answer.

I guess we are not doing a good job in guessing the lady? I may have missed the answer.

Her name is Lisa Gaye. I didn't think anyone would get it. I posted it because she looks amazingly like a young Kirstie Alley.

That's kinda the same problem with WKRP. So much great music that's hard to get the rights for. But what do you expect for a show about a rock radio station?

Which brings up another Ginger or Mary Anne type question for the guys:

Jennifer Marlowe or Bailey Quarters?

Attachments

• why-not-both-5b3b19.jpg
    why-not-both-5b3b19.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
I wanna join the game. Who are these actors?

Attachments

• twz.JPG
    twz.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
Which brings up another Ginger or Mary Anne type question for the guys:

Jennifer Marlowe or Bailey Quarters?

Definitely Bailey Quarters, although I like them both.

When I was younger, I used to think Bailey Quarters and Mrs. Kotter were the same actress.

One of them is John Astin. I forget the other guy's name, but he's the one who went "One Hundred Yards Over The Rim."

In that picture, I'm actually getting a James Best vibe, but know it's not him.

Last edited:
One of them is John Astin. I forget the other guy's name, but he's the one who went "One Hundred Yards Over The Rim."

In that picture, I'm actually getting a James Best vibe, but know it's not him.

The picture is actually from "100 yards..."

John Astin is correct. It was fun seeing him in a different role than Gomez.

The other guy is Cliff Robertson, whom I mostly remember for Charly. He actually does a great job in "One Hundred Yards Over The Rim". Turns out to be a really good episode of The Twilight Zone.

For "Hundred Yards...", the twist is someone from the past gets unexpectedly vaulted to the future. Most time travel movies have someone from the future go to the past. Or if they go to the future, they are aware and seem way too chill about it. What if someone from the 1840's (just before industrialization took hold) suddenly got vaulted to today? I thought Serling's portrayal of the situation was realistic.

Another good place to see John Astin is in Rod Serling's Night Gallery. He was in the episode "Pamela's Voice" which also had Phyllis Diller, and played an aging hippie in "Hell's Bells."

As for Cliff Robertson, that's one of those names that sounds like it could've been a household word at one time, but I'm trying to think of what I would have seen him in. He was in another episode of "The Twilight Zone," and the original "Outer Limits." He was also in "Falcon Crest," and I remember my Mom watched that religiously, right after "Dallas" on Friday nights.

But other than that, I can't really place him, although I know he's got to be a lot more famous than I'm giving him credit for.

Last edited:
Another good place to see John Astin is in Rod Serling's Night Gallery. He was in the episode "Pamela's Voice" which also had Phyllis Diller, and played an aging hippie in "Hell's Bells."

As for Cliff Robertson, that's one of those names that sounds like it could've been a household word at one time, but I'm trying to think of what I would have seen him in. He was in another episode of "The Twilight Zone," and the original "Outer Limits." He was also in "Falcon Crest," and I remember my Mom watched that religiously, right after "Dallas" on Friday nights.

But other than that, I can't really place him, although I know he's got to be a lot more famous than I'm giving him credit for.

Cliff Robertson played JFK in the movie “PT 109.”

John Astin was Gomez Addams on the TV series.

And the old series I just binged was “John Adams” with Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney. I thought it was very good.

I plan to read the book on which it’s based, written by David McCullough, and then watch again. I’m sure I missed a lot.

Last edited:
I recognized Cliff Robertson from the movie PT 109, I really don't know why but that popped into my head seeing this picture.

You got me. The guy on the right (Robertson) looked super familiar. I might have guessed him given time. I recognized the guy on the left but I never would have guessed him.

If you come across more, please post them.

Cliff Robertson was in Three Days of the Condor. Great movie starring Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway.

I watched The Apartment with Jack Lemmon, Shirley Maclaine, and Fred MacMurray playing a very ungentlemanly character. I love how this movie touches on so many scandalous topics while avoiding unseemly scenes. With such a great script and great acting, who needs skin and shock effects? Very refreshing.

This isn't too old, but HBO's "Six Feet Under" is on Netflix. It's on many "Best TV Shows" of all time lists so I gave it a try. It's supposed to be a drama / black comedy but I don't find it funny at all, and not even that interesting. After 3 episodes, I've lost interest and won't watch any more. Maybe it was funnier / edgier when it came out in 2001?

I remember watching the British "Sharpe" series on PBS, starring young Sean Bean as a lieutenant raised from the enlisted ranks in the Napoleonic War. It's interesting to see the modern British take on the social strata in the military at the time. I just found it again on YouTube -- definitely worth a repeat.

If you haven't seen Life On Mars, the British series about a policeman who time travels from today to the Britan of the 1970's. Or does he?

Make sure you watch the British version. Not the USA version which lost a lot in the translation, IMO. I think it's on Britbox. Or get the DVDs from the local library if it has them.

Life on Mars is a British television series broadcast on BBC One between 9 January 2006 and 10 April 2007. Named after the David Bowie song of the same name, it tells the story of a Manchester police officer from 2006 (played by John Simm) who mysteriously finds himself working as a police officer in 1970s Manchester. Life on Mars, and its sequel, Ashes to Ashes, are notable for combining the mystery, supernatural, science fiction, time travel, period, and police procedural drama genres. It twice won the International Emmy Award for Best Drama Series and has inspired international remakes.[1]

If you haven't seen Life On Mars, the British series about a policeman who time travels from today to the Britan of the 1970's. Or does he?

Make sure you watch the British version. Not the USA version which lost a lot in the translation, IMO. I think it's on Britbox. Or get the DVDs from the local library if it has them.

I've seen both versions. The British one is a better production and has better acting, but the American one was pretty good and easier to relate to (as an American.)

This isn't too old, but HBO's "Six Feet Under" is on Netflix. It's on many "Best TV Shows" of all time lists so I gave it a try. It's supposed to be a drama / black comedy but I don't find it funny at all, and not even that interesting. After 3 episodes, I've lost interest and won't watch any more. Maybe it was funnier / edgier when it came out in 2001?

It's not for everyone, but I loved Six Feet Under. I thought it got progressively better each season, with Season 5 being exceptionally good. I remember not loving it when it first came out, and it took me almost the whole of Season 1 to really get into it, but I ended up thinking it was one of the very best shows on TV in the early 2000s.

I quite enjoyed the series even though there were a couple of characters I didn't care for. I did like Michael C Hall and subsequently really enjoyed the original Dexter (less so the recent sequel.) Of all the highly regarded series I've watched, Six Feet Under had the best series finale of all. Story closure perfectly befitting a series dealing with mortality.

Back
Top Bottom