Do You Miss Being Young?

I miss the physical aspect of being young, it was great being able to eat anything I wanted without gaining weight, of having tons of energy, no aches and pains, no wrinkles, etc. but I would not want to relive it all over again. Too many painful lessons, too many slime buckets along with the way, too many hurts and sadnesses. If given the choice, I would not want to be 21 again.

Totally agree. I’m 75. Wouldn’t mind being 60 again. lol

:ROFLMAO: I would have thought you were crazy for doing that, since at that time I thought I was extremely ugly. :LOL: I remember when that photo was taken I was so embarrassed to be photographed because I thought I looked unusually awful that day.

I was thinking, W2R, that if you didn’t have some inkling how beautiful you were, then you weren’t hanging around enough of the right people.

If I could go back to 35 or 40 with the assets and retirement that I have now, sure. I’m not enjoying some of the aspects of getting old. I haven’t been able to run much this past year. Two years ago I was able to run a half marathon. I’ve been putting off going to the podiatrist for well over a year, and finally got tired of repeating the “run, rest a few days because it hurt, rinse, repeat”. Today, he gave me some serious orthotics and ankle braces and said I had to back off running for the most part. I came home bummed. A few years back, I had prostate cancer. While I’ve mostly recovered from that, there are aspects of my pre-cancer body that I miss. Would I go back to 35 or 40 if I had to go back to not being retired, not being FI, having teens at home, having to deal with the workaday BS again? No thanks. I’ll deal with my infirmities.

George Bernard Shaw said "youth is wasted on the young", to which I would add "retirement is wasted on the old". I'm quite content now, retired at age 62 and mostly enjoying it. However, if I were in my 20's again I would be physically able to do stuff that I just can't do now. Back then I was into long backpacking trips in mountains, cross-country skiing and snow camping, and multi-day bicycle trips. When I was in my 20's I moaned about how the older guys in my company had twice as much vacation time as me, and I thought I had much better things to do with my vacation, but not enough of it.

Where ever you are in life, it's easy to think you'd rather be somewhere else.

I was thinking, W2R, that if you didn’t have some inkling how beautiful you were, then you weren’t hanging around enough of the right people.
Aw, thanks! I had some monstrous teenager insecurities at that time and you're right, I wasn't getting much encouragement from anyone. Like many teens, I felt like a repulsive failure in every way. However the older I get, the better life gets and these (my 70's) are the happiest days of my life.

I miss the physical aspect of being young, it was great being able to eat anything I wanted without gaining weight, of having tons of energy, no aches and pains, no wrinkles, etc. but I would not want to relive it all over again. Too many painful lessons, too many slime buckets along with the way, too many hurts and sadnesses. If given the choice, I would not want to be 21 again.

My happiest decades were/are my 40s, 50s & now I'm 60. I lucked out by meeting my second DH at 40yo., and life has been all good since then.

I think my 30's were pretty good for me. They went by fast thou. I have good health that I know of and feel great and really haven't felt much different from my 50's to my 60's.

I don't have a then picture, that I can even find, but I have a now picture of last spring. I look old and tired and when I look in the mirror somethings I can't beleive how age comes fast. I would take my 30's back if I could. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Looking good Street!

George Bernard Shaw said "youth is wasted on the young",

You may be correct, but my sole recollection of that line is from "It's a Wonderful Life" when they were throwing the rocks at the old house. Of course, we just watched it again last week, so it is fresh in my memory.

Street, my first impression of your photo was that it was a picture of Gordon Lightfoot in earlier days. Looking good.

I would only want to be young physically. Mentally, no way. I'm happy where I'm at.

Street, my first impression of your photo was that it was a picture of Gordon Lightfoot in earlier days. Looking good.
Lol! Interesting! I have been told through the years I looked like other familiar faces we are accustom to seeing.

Nemo2 the same back to you! I love that family of yours and they will keep you young or make you get grayer. Lol

Sure, I'd love to go back & avoid the costly mistakes I made back then.

I made some mistakes in my youth, but nothing so serious and regretful that it would change my life if I was allowed a mulligan.

I am happy at the stage I am now. The only consternation is my remaining days are dwindling, and slipping like sand through my fingers. Only if I can extend the time I have at this current state... I don't care to get younger.

I definitely do not miss being young. Honestly I’m glad I lived through my youth. Very happy to be who and what I am right now. Also very grateful to young me making the tough decisions that have made healthy, wealthy, and wise!

I love the wisdom that comes with years (I’m 57 now) and the financial stability from receiving my inheritance (thanks mum and dad) but not so much the physical decline. My best years were my mid-40’s. I was incredibly fit as a mountain climber, bike rider, gym rat. Also I was still attractive enough to successfully chase women half my age.

Lately, I’ve had horrible sciatica which basically left me unable to walk much and standing up was painful. Thankfully it’s eased up and I’m regaining fitness and I’ve lost 10kg (22 lbs) to take the pressure off my back.

It just shows that health is probably the biggest factor to maintain when you’re in your retirement years.

Comparing my late-50's health with my mid-20's:
• intellectual: better
• emotional: MUCH better
• financial: MUCH better
• physical: a tad worse

I thought being in college was a really good time. It had a nice ratio of freedom to responsibility. Then came family and career. The ratio was lower. Now in RE it is at max. I miss the robustness of being younger, but at 61 I am really happy to be where I am, still with the ability and more resources to do what I want to.

I liked being young. It was fun. I like being older too. It's also fun. I like having fun. It's all good, as the kids say.

I liked being young. It was fun. I like being older too. It's also fun. I like having fun. It's all good, as the kids say.

Same here. Staying young in spirit by also being able to keep up with the youngsters in Pickleball.

I would like to go back and make better decisions. I do have regrets that I live with today but I'm working on them. Other than that, no, it was too hard. Once was enough.

A line from Camelot comes to mind.
Arthur to Pellinore: "Do you know what I miss from those days, Pelly? Not my youth. My innocence. My innocence."

I recommend regular exercise to anyone who will listen. I know a lot of people hate exercise, but I think the problem is that many people start with too much and then quit when it becomes too exhausting. Baby steps is what you need.

Thanks for the reminder! I started the exercise routine as my New Year resolution along with cutting back on the beer. Muscles are aching. I have an all or nothing mentality that I need to reign in. So thanks for the insight.

As far as fantasizing about my youth I sometimes wonder about a do-over. I was married three days after my 18th birthday while still finishing H.S.
While I barley succeeded in graduating but I did. During our 15 years together we had two more children.
My dilemma of indulging in this fantasy is wondering what might have been, discounting my past. And yet I still do.....

I think my 30's were pretty good for me. They went by fast thou. I have good health that I know of and feel great and really haven't felt much different from my 50's to my 60's.

I don't have a then picture, that I can even find, but I have a now picture of last spring. I look old and tired and when I look in the mirror somethings I can't beleive how age comes fast. I would take my 30's back if I could. Lol

I imagine you are in your mid-60s. You look good, and healthy with all the physical activities you described in your posts.

Interesting reading the comments........DW & I long ago agreed that to be around 20 again we'd walk out the door with just the clothes we were wearing.
We know a guy who has that attitude. He has had a great life but now depends on others to stay out of the rain and get fed.

His wife finally left him 20 years ago with the house.

Moderation in all things...

Back
Top Bottom