Earworms du jour

Linked this one to the Luke Perry thread....now it's embedded in what passes for my brain:

That train car is hauling a lot of talent.

The Wilburys had a sound distinctive from the individual members, IMO. I was never a big follower of any of the musicians, but I liked the band's music.

In the early '90s there was a similarly styled group called Little Village. I liked the music of all the players (Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, John Hiatt) individually, but they didn't really gel as a group -- possibly because their styles were so dissimilar, Cooder in particular.

Their drummer, Jim Keltner, also played with the Wilbury's I believe.

People here know that I am partial to Latin music. A song that I have often posted here is Besame Mucho. This 1940 Mexican song is well-known world-wide.

Recently, I found this rendition by a Korean saxophonist. She played in a fast tempo of Cha cha, and reminded me of what I used to hear on the radio at night when I was a kid in the early 1960s.

People here know that I am partial to Latin music. A song that I have often posted here is Besame Mucho. This 1940 Mexican song is well-known world-wide.

I picked up a Putamayo recording of music from the Dominican Republic awhile back that featured a musician named Luis Vargas. This song isn't an earworm, it's more like the reverse -- it delights me every time I hear it.

I never thought of an earworm as something undesirable, or at least annoying, although in your OP you used the adjective "irritating".

Indeed, on the Web people agree with your definition, and it is mentioned that certain songs by Lady Gaga are the most common earworms. I knew of Lady Gaga, but have not listened to any song of hers. I guess I will look around to see what it is all about. My taste of music, well of most things actually, is so off mainstream that I often do not know what everybody else is doing.

Earworm is a constant affliction of mine, and the only way to get rid of one is to find something else to replace it. I have a serial addiction to different songs, and some favorites may come back time and time again, depending on my mood.

Not an earworm perhaps, but some great guitar work nonetheless:

Her technique reminds me of Johnny Winter in his younger days, before his bad habits caught up with him.
The guy on the stool looks a little like Brownie McGhee ... makes me think of this tune. Not one of Brownie's standards, but I like it.

These guys used to be regulars at the Riverboat in Toronto in the 1960s. :dance:
Oh yeah, they were brilliant.

I grew up in Chicago and moved to the Milwaukee area as a young adult ... attended shows of all the classic Chicago artists -- Muddy, Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon, etc. I wish McGhee/Terry had come a little bit west once in awhile.

... Gotta say I really like the setting of that Joanna Connor show. It looks like somebody's backyard.
We've started hitting house concerts at a place in Madison Wis. called Kiki's House of Righteous Music. We were there for a concert by this guy, kind of an alt-bluegrass practitioner.

In the Fall we have Porchfest here, mostly within a 1/4 mile of our place, nobody famous, but some of them are pretty good:

Porchfest Belleville | Porchfest Belleville 2019

Seems like those who achieve fame often get trapped in the musical assembly line. The inspiration that brought them renown gets lost as they crank out art to satisfy mass appeal.

I first saw Robbie Fulks on PBS' Austin City Limits, probably 25 years ago. He performs around the world but still finds time to play in a woman's basement in Madison. To me that defines a guy who lives for his art rather than the pursuit of a buck.

...Oh yeah, this is the Early Retirement board. Is that blasphemy?

Recently overseas in Asia, walking through a tech shopping mall. One store had this song playing, and since then it has been stuck in my head. A blast from the past:

I worked years ago in a bookstore at a shopping mall, the centerpiece of which was an indoor ice rink. It had a PA system with a musical soundtrack of about eight tunes. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Mr. Roboto" by Styx, but I feel no need to hear it now. Or ever again.

Hope I didn't post this earlier on this thread--if I did, it shows how long it has been an earworm. Not an irritating one, but can't get it out of my head. It is beautiful.

I see your Shenandoah, and raise you one (Sissel). Both are beautiful.

https://youtu.be/N5grgB-dV2o

Of course, now this song will be my earworm du jour, but it could be far worse.

I promised myself I would not click on this thread, but I was weak.

one to motivate those obsessive-compulsives that read among us

you might try it at medium volume first ( i belong to the Ozzy Osbourne crowd .. THAT'S NOT FREAKING LOUD .. the time in .... WAS FREAKING LOUD )

One that makes me pick up the pace on the elliptical:

Something about a sax band! :dance:

I thought of this one while watching an old Cheech & Chong flick.

Yeah, love that funk!

This one takes me back to Saturday nights at the skating rink. Gets the whole body moving.

Back
Top Bottom