Facebook

I am on FB and am addicted to it! it's been great keeping up with friends and turning random one-time friends (sounds like one-night stands, but you know what I mean -- people you meet at parties and on trips, etc.) into more permanent ones, if you want. For me, it has replaced email as the top means of connection with friends.

Just be careful if you are at a party and someone takes pictures of you with alcohol. If you get tagged in these pictures, all your friends can see your silly drunk shots. You can of course de-tag yourself. This is especially important for those of us still working and are FB friends with coworkers.

I just got my page up and have found college friends I have not heard from in 10+ years and HS friends I have not heard from in 15+ years.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out of this is a good thing, or a bad thing?

Anyhow, our kids use FB (friends only access), and it does seem like a great way to keep up on relationships with people. DD realized that her good friend who attended an out-of-state school was rooming with a good friend of someone on her floor. Unlikely to make the connection otherwise.

But I spend enough time on the internet, I'll pass for now.

-ERD50

I had fun tagging embarrassing photos of my daughter -- now all her friends see them, for example:

n556069408_1876192_7361.jpg

---------------------------

But here's something I haven't figured out. Let's say you have an old friend who you've lost touch with. His name is Ed Chan. So you search for Ed Chan, and there are hundreds. Most of them don't have photos. I haven't found a good way to narrow it down. Am I missing something?

But here's something I haven't figured out. Let's say you have an old friend who you've lost touch with. His name is Ed Chan. So you search for Ed Chan, and there are hundreds. Most of them don't have photos. I haven't found a good way to narrow it down. Am I missing something?

Use that "show results from..." pull down menu on the search results page to filter by network.

If that is not enough, click "Show More Filters" to reduce the results by age, gender, interests, political views, etc

Thanks, Slouch, but I cannot find the filters. Facebook help says

"After you perform a search, you can utilize the "result filters" that we have made available. At the top of the results page, you can choose to sort out "Names," "Groups," "Events," or "Profiles." To further narrow down what is displayed, use the filters on the right side of the page."

After I search, the tabs are "All results, people, groups, events and web." None of those help and there are no filters anywhere.

What am I missing?

I just checked and it looks like they recently removed the "show results from" button. Previously if you clicked it, advanced search options would appear down the right-hand column on the web page.

I'd post a question on Help Center | Facebook and get an answer back directly from FB.

I am just exploring Facebook. Al, search a name. When the results come up towards the upper left of the page it says "show results from" and a box appears that says "all networks." You can change what is in the box to put in a city or state as well as some other options.

Slouch, the button is working for me.

But I think that only works if someone has joined a local network.

I am a facebook newbie myself, and I like it!!!!

I tried myspace (for a specific job-related reason), and I totally hated it. But facebook has, in just 2 weeks, reconnected me with several people from 33 years ago, and it is really heartwarming!

It is like 'being in a room full of people you know'. I now have my entire network of extended family logging in, aunts, uncles, neices, nephews, grandparents, on and on.

My mother just learned she has Parkinson's, so I went to her facebook and uploaded about 30 photographs ranging from family snapshots to artful shots and silly photos - she will see when she logs in, and it will be a small gift to her and brighten her day WAY more than a phone call would.

To any doubters - you have total control. You choose who to accept as friends, you choose what words, photos, comments, etc, can stay up, you choose what, if any, information can be seen by non-friends.

There are also a bazillion "groups" and fan clubs, some obscure but interesting, like 'tea lovers'. (I belong to that one).

I am a facebook newbie myself, and I like it!!!!

I tried myspace (for a specific job-related reason), and I totally hated it. But facebook has, in just 2 weeks, reconnected me with several people from 33 years ago, and it is really heartwarming!

It is like 'being in a room full of people you know'. I now have my entire network of extended family logging in, aunts, uncles, neices, nephews, grandparents, on and on.

My mother just learned she has Parkinson's, so I went to her facebook and uploaded about 30 photographs ranging from family snapshots to artful shots and silly photos - she will see when she logs in, and it will be a small gift to her and brighten her day WAY more than a phone call would.

To any doubters - you have total control. You choose who to accept as friends, you choose what words, photos, comments, etc, can stay up, you choose what, if any, information can be seen by non-friends.

There are also a bazillion "groups" and fan clubs, some obscure but interesting, like 'tea lovers'. (I belong to that one).

What she said. You don't have to do anything, or respond to anyone/anything. Go as slow as you want.

No wonder he's grumpy.

Just to keep everyone up to date, Facebook has released a new ToS agreement. Many of the users are up in arms about it. There's a note about it here Update to Our Terms | Facebook, with a link to the ToS included. If you are one of those who doesn't like all the legalese, there's a pictoral version of the changes here In Pictures: The Facebook Terms of Service Change, and You. | tan.gy. Just fyi.
I just read in the Post yesterday that Facebook got so much grief about this that they went back to the old ToS agreement and promised to collaborate with their customers before doing this again.

A girl I haven't seen in 24 years found me on there a few weeks ago, and we met up last Sunday. A great reunion, we had lots of laughs, and plan to keep up better in the future. I would never have connected with her otherwise.
Very cool thing, IMHO. I am glad they backtracked on the ToS.

One problem with facebook I've found is that I'm getting friend requests from high school classmates who I don't remember. That is, their names may be vaguely familiar, but that's it. I don't want to become friends with them if they're going to find out and feel that they were so inconsequential that I don't even remember who they are.

In discussing this with some other high school friends who I do remember, it seems like the unknowns are the ones I didn't hang out with back then. So it's not my memory that's failing -- got it?

I joined facebook a few days ago. Being a Navy Brat I don't have long time friends from school as I was always moving about. I also joined classmates and have had 10 people sign my "guestbook" and I don't remember 8 of them.

T-Al, I don't remember lots of the folks that I've friended from high school. I blame it on the Boone's Farm! I go ahead and accept the requests most of the time, just because I would feel bad if I rejected them. I think some people are all about the numbers and gathering as many friends as possible--gee, a popularity contest, just like high school!
<grin>

T-Al, I don't remember lots of the folks that I've friended from high school. I blame it on the Boone's Farm! I go ahead and accept the requests most of the time, just because I would feel bad if I rejected them. I think some people are all about the numbers and gathering as many friends as possible--gee, a popularity contest, just like high school!
<grin>

Since accepting a friend isn't like co-signing a loan, I don't see the downside. Today's young people are very good at reaching out, and I feel that I can learn a lot from that attitude.

Ha

According to facebook etiquette, it is OK to ignore friend requests if you don't want to accept them. I know I have been ignored by a few folks that I sort of knew in HS. But they usually only have a small number of friends, so it isn't that they don't like me, it's just that they only want their really close friends to be friends with them on facebook. The folks that have 400-900 friends probably are friend collectors where they add anyone they have ever met and their brothers, sisters, spouses, mothers, etc.

Or that's what I tell myself anyway! :)

So don't feel bad if you ignore a friend request. They won't know whether you just forgot to add them or if you intentionally didn't add them - the system doesn't notify them of ignored friend requests.

Back
Top Bottom