Facebook

I am right between you two at 117. Facebook games are an excellent way of adding random people you don't know.

Facebook really does need a way of differentiating between true friends, acquaintances, and random people you add for games, business networking or because you think he/she is cute. :)

I am right between you two at 117. Facebook games are an excellent way of adding random people you don't know.

Facebook really does need a way of differentiating between true friends, acquaintances, and random people you add for games, business networking or because you think he/she is cute. :)

They have some privacy settings that you can adjust, but I don't think it allows the classification of people into certain groups like you suggest. I agree it would be very helpful. I have a number of business contacts on there that I may not want to see everything close friends can see. And I am hesitant to add new business contacts that are strictly business.

Yeah really. Otherwise how will we know who is truly cool and who is just a weenie?

Ha

Don't worry, Ha, you'll always be a weenie on my FB! :hide:

I wish there was a way to control for just that, what certain groups of people see about you. I think that groups are actually the way to make stuff completely private, but I don't know how that works.

My bad, Fuego, I thought you were up on me, but I got two new friends today! :flowers:

My bad, Fuego, I thought you were up on me, but I got two new friends today! :flowers:

I have a few friend requests outstanding, so assuming they don't ignore me, I might be a nose ahead by the end of the weekend.

I was accused (justifiably) of not recognising sarcasm in another thread. In a rare case of justice, nobody seems to have caught my little attempt at humor in this one. I'll link it again, in case anybody wants to read it. I thought it was pretty funny, if you are a Facebook user. In Pictures: The Facebook Terms of Service Change, and You. | tan.gy

Okay, so that is pretty funny, Harley.
Sorry, I'm guilty of not bothering to clickthrough to links about such exciting topics as terms of service changes and anything that looks remotely technical.
Thanks for calling it back out to our attention. I really like the new Despair t-shirt that pretty much sums up the 25 things issue: 1 random thing

I joined but haven't put up a picture or really anything much yet. The only person who's posted to my page so far is my ex-wife!

I wish there was a way to control for just that, what certain groups of people see about you. I think that groups are actually the way to make stuff completely private, but I don't know how that works.

That is a such a common complaint that FB actually figured out a pretty nice solution which involves making friends lists. You can specify exactly how much information each group of friend sees. So for example if you had 3 groups Real Life Friends, Business associates, and internet friends. You might allow only Real Life Friends to see photos tagged of you.

The way you would do this is to go to the settings/privacy tab. Then profile privacy and finally Photos tagged of you. In the drop down box select "customize" and then add which friends lists can see photos of you.

You can also use customize and friends list to on individual photo albums. So the bachelor/ette party photos might only be shared with other participants.

A must read article is 10 privacy setting every facebook user must know is here

Clif, that is great, I have moseyed around the privacy settings, but I didn't notice the friend group thing. I will build in that friend list thing now. New users to Facebook among my friends are always asking me about just this sort of thing, so I'll pass it along.

Right now I don't have anything to hide, but you never know! LOL!
Thanks for the link--very helpful.

Thanks for the link--very helpful.

I had several real life friends ask about it as well as the ER board. I went and build several friends list, ER people, FB games, family etc, and than I realized I don't have too many drunken pictures, and even if I do I don't have a boss!! :LOL:

Although another couple of months like this one that will change: :rant:

I have several different personae roaming the web. Mostly I keep them separate.

Please put me in the friends list that gets to see the drunken poll dancing and inappropriate yak pictures.

Al, I have some great mental images of frolicking poll workers on election day, thanks...having worked quite a few elections, lets just say that my fellow poll workers are the last people I want to see dancing, especially naked.
LOL!

My buddies all use it to share pics of their little kids, so i joined last night. Once I put my High School class and year and college class and year in there I saw profiles of lots of people I hadn't thought of in 25 years.

This is my first attempt at a social networking site too. I'm an IT guy and never got into the texting, twitter, etc, stuff.

Another downside: A few years ago a friend from high school looked me up and visited for a few days. I liked him then and like him now, but we have absolutely nothing in common, and had nothing to talk about. Once the "Remember when this" and "remember when that" was over, it was really excruciating. We fell out of touch after that.

Well guess who found me on facebook yesterday and wrote "Hey, tell me where you live now and maybe I'll come visit."

I accepted everyone as a friend on facebook that asked me to.....I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Some of the people I was very hesitant to accept because they were not nice to me and I didn't think they even liked me so I don't know why they want to be a "friend"

The only thing I could think of is maybe they were mean to everyone and they actually did like me:confused:

It was nice hearing from people that I haven't seen in so long though.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom