I’m going to throw out my old underwear - a New Year’s Resolution!

Anyone else here have a tier system?

Old, worn out but still marginally functional underwear becomes 2nd tier, pulled out when you run out of the first tier “good ones?”

Or am I overthinking this?

Third tier is the rag bin. See, I’m not crazy!

I just love old thin well worn tshirts. So light and silky.

DGF gave me a package of fresh new boxer briefs for Christmas. I took it as a sign to purge the old.
After DW passed away I found 2 large trash bags of unmatched socks. There were baby socks in there! Soon after I donated all my socks and bought 10 pairs of black gold toes and a 10 pairs of white Hanes. No more mismatched socks.

I need to purge socks. Way too many. No socks in the summer and specialized socks in the winter. Everything in between, used when w*rking, haven't been used in 6 years, and the drawer space they take up is totally out proportioned by the occasional use. I'm making this a priority TODAY!

Anyone else here have a tier system?

Old, worn out but still marginally functional underwear becomes 2nd tier, pulled out when you run out of the first tier “good ones?”

Or am I overthinking this?

Third tier is the rag bin. See, I’m not crazy!

That’s reasonable because it reminds you to do laundry, and having a few worn ones means you aren’t completely out.

I purged my wimpy cotton work socks after buying 8 prs. of Darn Tough wool socks on sale. :dance: I have 4 days of work left and will be wearing those plush retirement socks every day while planning my (post-covid) adventures.

We only bleach whites which is basically my tidy-whiteies and a few wash clothes and some of the sheets. SO, to be certain we have a full load of bleach-worthy stuff, I always have enough underwear on hand so as never to need an emergency small load of laundry. SO I rotate through half a drawer full of underwear. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at the old stuff and finally decided I didn't want to take a chance on being taken to the emergency room looking like THAT (you know what your mother always used to say!) So I bought 30 pairs of T-W underwear and threw all the old away. I'm sure there was lots of life left in the old stuff, but, sometimes you just want to (all together now) Blow That Dough! YMMV

DGF gave me a package of fresh new boxer briefs for Christmas. I took it as a sign to purge the old.
After DW passed away I found 2 large trash bags of unmatched socks. There were baby socks in there! Soon after I donated all my socks and bought 10 pairs of black gold toes and a 10 pairs of white Hanes. No more mismatched socks.

+ 1
After retirement, I switched to 2 kinds of socks, 100% cotton in white and black.
Now after a few years of retirement, I see I don't need any black socks and they look funny wearing shorts ;)

As a resolution for the New Year, I’m finally going to throw out my old underwear. Why have I kept it around so long? I have plenty of new underwear, but when at home (not traveling) I tend to keep reusing the old and “saving” the new. The old is thinner, not as soft, elastic is stretched out, not as comfortable. This has gone on for years, so enough already!

DH needs to buy new underwear!

My way of disposing of new underwear was traveling. During the last 4-7 days, I would toss the stinky underwear in the trash thus making room to pack my souvenirs such as the wheel of stinky cheese I bought in Portugal.

My way of disposing of new underwear was traveling. During the last 4-7 days, I would toss the stinky underwear in the trash thus making room to pack my souvenirs such as the wheel of stinky cheese I bought in Portugal.

As long as the stinky cheese smelled....worse?

Definitely a cheap splurge item for me. The only socks I’ve ever had get a hole were some I really liked from Costco and they only sold them for a short time. Ugh, I hate when they do that.

Otherwise, at the first sign of wear or if something just doesn’t fit right, it’s gone. Typically, if something doesn’t fit right, I donate the unused ones and just toss the ones I tried on. I never use them for rags. Costco sells those bags of micro fiber cloths and the cotton ones that are mechanics rags and I use those for rags. I do keep old towels around for rags though. When I was into guns, I’d just take the oldest tshirt I had for a sacrificial cleaning rag and cut that up to make bore cleaning patches. Way cheaper than buying them pre-cut.

Favorite under item - socks. I found some I really like and with the Costco experience in mind, I stocked up. Try to not let that happen again. Though someone who needed sock made out. I think I bought about 4 ten packs or ones I didn’t like so I donated 4 eight packs. :)

We have a large collection of bar towels for cleaning, so we don't need old clothing for rags.

If I'm wearing long pants or staying home, why should I care about the elastic being in good shape? Here are three generations of my sweat socks. I probably have two pair like the ones to the right. When I'm home I wear cushiony Crocs and I don't need extra padding from thick socks.

a8jS4rD.jpg

There is a bell curve to underwear. Brand new the elastic band is too uncomfortable & too tight! Much like aging wine, it takes multiple wash & wear cycles to condition and relax those steel bands of elastic into a more gentle undergarmet that you can wear all day without feeling you're wearing a minature corset. You adjust to it. It adjusts to you. Harmony is achieved. Then, one day hopefully way in the future, you notice it. The're a small hole where there should not be one. Or worse, the elastic band decided to quit working, seemingly overnight. With tears in your eyes, it's time to bid adieu to your old friends and begin the hunt for new underwear. Only to know that you'll have to break the newbies in all over again.

Brand new the elastic band is too uncomfortable & too tight! Much like aging wine, it takes multiple wash & wear cycles to condition and relax those steel bands of elastic into a more gentle undergarmet...

I don't wait when it comes to the boxers I sleep in. I rip the stitches out of several inches of the elastic and cut it then re-sew it. Here's what it looks like before I re-sew it. Optionally you can cut the elastic once and resew the waist without throwing out any elastic, so the waist will retain much of its stiffness, or you can make it perfect and insert a longer piece of elastic.

S8QaaOS.jpg

+ 1
After retirement, I switched to 2 kinds of socks, 100% cotton in white and black.
Now after a few years of retirement, I see I don't need any black socks and they look funny wearing shorts ;)

Whatever matches your Plaid and Paisley wardrobe is fine.:dance:

i'm down a size so considerimg donating old ones to goodwill. ? only those in good repair, freshly laundered with bleach. crazy?

Honestly, I have never in my life noticed this. If an undie (toppie, bottommie, either one) doesn't fit right out of the package, it's going back.

There is a bell curve to underwear. Brand new the elastic band is too uncomfortable & too tight! Much like aging wine, it takes multiple wash & wear cycles to condition and relax those steel bands of elastic into a more gentle undergarmet that you can wear all day without feeling you're wearing a minature corset. .

Socks yes, if truly new-looking.

Undies, just...no, unless still in package. (How would you feel if somebody gave you used undies "in good repair"?)

i'm down a size so considerimg donating old ones to goodwill. ? only those in good repair, freshly laundered with bleach. crazy?

Last edited:
Indeed. Most black socks would not be caught dead wearing shorts. :LOL:

+ 1
I don't need any black socks and they look funny wearing shorts ;)

Back
Top Bottom