I’m going to throw out my old underwear - a New Year’s Resolution!

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As a resolution for the New Year, I’m finally going to throw out my old underwear. Why have I kept it around so long? I have plenty of new underwear, but when at home (not traveling) I tend to keep reusing the old and “saving” the new. The old is thinner, not as soft, elastic is stretched out, not as comfortable. This has gone on for years, so enough already!

DH needs to buy new underwear!

I already threw out my old underwear. But I have about 30 pair of old socks that need to go. Sounds like a good New Years resolution.

I threw out a bunch of underwear last week too. It was liberating. I bet some of it was ten years old. Are you supposed to hold on to underwear for that long?

I also filled up eight garbage bags worth of clothing, and a box containing about 200 audio CDs, and dropped it all off at Goodwill. It’s nice to have all that empty space back in my closet.

A great New Year's resolution. I can afford to buy new undies, so I will! Although I don't actually throw them away; I use them for rags. However, if I have a white undershirt that is so old that it is gossamer thin but doesn't have any holes, the young wife will appropriate it for summer sleepwear.

Last edited:
I take my old underwear on trips and throw out after using. Makes for less wash on the trip and maybe a miniscule amount of extra space in the suitcase to bring something back!

I take my old underwear on trips and throw out after using. Makes for less wash on the trip and maybe a miniscule amount of extra space in the suitcase to bring something back!

We do the same thing on long vacations. Throw it out as we go along.

My wife's life is doing the laundry--every day. I tell her she's wasting water, and the reason we have 15 sets of underwear is so laundry can be done one day every couple of weeks. That's also why we have such large closets and many sets of clothes.

As long as it's all good and almost perfect, why throw it ?

It would be easier for me to give up coffee, beef, bacon & eggs and hard cider than it would be for me to throw out underwear before its worn out. Worn out by definition means different things to some folks.

I guess I should go through my old underwear and socks and get rid of them too. Sounds like a good thing to do.

I threw out a bunch of underwear last week too. It was liberating. I bet some of it was ten years old. Are you supposed to hold on to underwear for that long?

I also filled up eight garbage bags worth of clothing, and a box containing about 200 audio CDs, and dropped it all off at Goodwill. It’s nice to have all that empty space back in my closet.

Yeah we have several Salvation Army donation trips planned.

Shouldn't this thread get merged into the "Blow that dough" thread? :rolleyes:

From the inimitable Dave Barry (speaking about guys, in particular). A quiz:

When is it okay to throw away a set of veteran underwear?
a. When it has turned the color of a dead whale and developed new holes so large that you're not sure which ones were originally intended for your legs.
b. When it is down to eight loosely connected underwear molecules and has to be handled with tweezers.
c. It is never okay to throw away veteran underwear. A real guy checks the garbage regularly in case somebody -- and we are not naming names, but this would be his wife -- is quietly trying to discard his underwear, which she is frankly jealous of, because the guy seems to have a more intimate relationship with it than with her.

I'm kind of surprised by this thread. At the risk of TMI, my underwear and socks never last more than a few years anyway so this question never really arises. I don't think I've ever had a pair of either last more than 5 years (not counting specialty gear like long johns or skiing socks that get worn rarely). Maybe I'm just harder on my clothes than most folks.

Until it rips, the old underwear stays.

I'm kind of surprised by this thread. At the risk of TMI, my underwear and socks never last more than a few years anyway so this question never really arises. I don't think I've ever had a pair of either last more than 5 years (not counting specialty gear like long johns or skiing socks that get worn rarely). Maybe I'm just harder on my clothes than most folks.

Or you change them less often.:cool:

The mental images this thread is providing me brings on mental shudders! :D

Mental images? I bet one can easily find true images of worn-out underwear on the Web.

However, posters should better refrain from posting them, lest they get banned for life. :LOL:

I'm imaging all the old underwear discarded along the beaches by tourists making space in their luggage :eek:

Wouldn't that happen in the airport to avoid the extra luggage weight charge?

Underwear follows the same rules as all other clothing. They get sent to the garbage when they are unable to perform their function due to wear and tear.

I have cast off 18 garments in 2020. I keep track.

I think the cotton wears away in 50/50 blended fabrics even when there are no holes, giving a false sense that they're OK. I've kept 50/50 blend pillow cases far too long when they were too thin. But I keep my 100% cotton briefs until there's a hole in the butt or there are too many tears under the elastic. The elastic never stretches out too much for me.

Socks are different. I keep some with elastic that no longer keeps them up, but I make sure I have enough in good shape so I get cushioning for long walks.

Underwear and socks are so cheap. Every fall, I buy a large new batch for everybody during the holiday sales. The old stuff goes out to make room in bureau drawers for...drawers.

I feel sorry for ladies whose budget decrees they must keep old brassieres in rotation...

Back
Top Bottom