Longevity of a cedar fence

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
My cedar fence, which covers about 225' includes 2 gates but is on it's last legs (gates?). The fence is about 20 years old and I have replaced individual slats over the years, but it is really looking beat-up now.

I hate to spend good money (or bad $) on such an item however I may have arrived at a point that requires me to give up and replace the darn thing.

How long is the normal life of a cedar fence? Any experience on replacement costs?

Depends on how its built and cared for and local pests. 20 years is a pretty good life though.

For example, posts buried in the dirt with no concrete, no cleaning or treatment, lots of moisture and termites, maybe 7 years.

Posts well buried in concrete, pressure treated posts and rails, dry environment, no termites or carpenter ants...maybe 20 years.

mickeyd said:
My cedar fence, which covers about 225' includes 2  gates but is on it's last legs (gates?). The fence is about 20 years old and I have replaced individual slats over the years, but it is really looking beat-up now.

I hate to spend good money (or bad $) on such an item however I may have arrived at a point that requires me to give up and replace the darn thing.

How long is the normal life of a cedar fence? Any experience on replacement costs?

I have one that is 30 years old and looking good. Two years ago I cleaned it up and brushed with a product called Inwood, a type of clear preservative. My posts are pressure treated also.

Ha

I just bought some cedar fencing boards, #2, 1" x8" x 6' dog-eared cedar ran $2.68/board

mickeyd said:
How long is the normal life of a cedar fence?

It depends on whether you used heartwood or sapwood.   Heartwood is good for 25 years or so.   Sapwood will decay much faster.

You guys are great. I bet you would tell a 110 year old that people camn only live to 95.

Ha

HaHa said:
You guys are great. I bet you would tell a 110 year old that people camn only live to 95.

110 years I don't have a problem with. But once you get past the numbers that we have well documented cases for (<125), I start suspecting Social Security fraud :D

Ok thanks. I really appreciate the input.

Expansion of original Q (just got back from HomeDepot):

The cost of Pressure treated (1"x6" 6X8 panel) is $58 but Cedar is $91. Does a 50% cost increase make sense or should I go with what attracts me the most ($58)? It is not a "showfence" as it is mostly backyard but since it is a corner lot, one side will face a street.

Back
Top Bottom