My 57-year-old Classmate Has a Baby

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just had to pass on this interesting story. I have a good friend who was in my classes from kindergarten through high school. He went on to become a famous astrophysicist at Cal Tech. He never had much luck with women, and never married. We've gotten together now and then through the years, and have had many wild adventures together.

A year or so ago he was at a scientific conference in China, and met a very young Chinese woman, and they got married. It was the real deal -- not just an attempt by her to move to the U.S.

Anyway, last night they had a baby! Life is full of surprises.

"There, for the grace of god, go I"...

Best wishes to your friend (and his family), but it is not a "situation" that I would like to find myself in...

A similar thing (sort of) happened to a long time friend of ours. We've known him since before the kids were born - our wives met during pre-natal classes.

When his 2 kids were 18 & 16 his wife ran off with another man to Australia. (he is 10 years older than her).

4 years ago he married a young woman 20 years younger than him. We met them and their 2 yr old when we were in England last year. We are now living about a mile away from them, and last week he was laid off from the firm he has worked for for 31 years. Fortunately his wife works full time in the finance department of a large company so it is not totally disastrous.

However, even without this huge set back, we were thanking our lucky stars that we didn't have a 3 yr old in our mid 50's.

Al, congratulations to your friend :)

A year or so ago he was at a scientific conference in China, and met a very young Chinese woman, and they got married. It was the real deal -- not just an attempt by her to move to the U.S.

Anyway, last night they had a baby! Life is full of surprises.
A year or so ago they met and last night she had a baby.

Mazel tov.

I bet he appreciates this baby more now than he would have in early years with that type of intense career.:) Congrats to them!

Humm. I think I read something like this in a spy thriller.

I thought that your 57 year old female classmate had a baby. Now that would have been something. Personally, I am still hoping to have a grand kids but I no thanks to kids at my age.

I know a couple who had their first (and only) child when she was 41 and he was 66.

The young lady is now a smart, healthy 13-year-old, who makes the world a better place by being in it. Yet, I know she has been teased about being raised by her "grandparents," and there undoubtedly are adults who imagine she should not have been brought into the world. This is why I loathe peer pressure.

Amethyst

I thought that your 57 year old female classmate had a baby. Now that would have been something. Personally, I am still hoping to have a grand kids but I no thanks to kids at my age.

My Sister kept on waiting for grandchildren . We used to tease her that Frank her dog was it . Well surprise she is going to finally be a grandmother . Her daughter age 41 is pregnant and her daughter age 38 is also pregnant . So you never know !

I know a couple who had their first (and only) child when she was 41 and he was 66.

The young lady is now a smart, healthy 13-year-old, who makes the world a better place by being in it. Yet, I know she has been teased about being raised by her "grandparents," and there undoubtedly are adults who imagine she should not have been brought into the world. This is why I loathe peer pressure.

Amethyst

Good story Amethyst. I hope Al's friend has a similiar experience and finds joy in fatherhood.

As one who took the non-conventional path of retiring early, I hope I've learned not to be critical of others who make decisions others may find unusual.

20 year olds have a lot of energy and that's around the age at which our ancestors had a couple of toddlers running around the cave. Coincidence?

I have a friend who was skiing with his son. Someone came and said to the kid "It's nice of your granddad to take you skiing, huh?"

20 year olds have a lot of energy and that's around the age at which our ancestors had a couple of toddlers running around the cave. Coincidence?

I have a friend who was skiing with his son. Someone came and said to the kid "It's nice of your granddad to take you skiing, huh?"

Rings a bell with me. My dad was 59 when I was born and mother 45 - lots of grandparents comments when I was growing up. :(

No worse than going out for a meal with your daughter and having the waiter say "And for your wife?"

Notice that a waitress never seems to make that mistaken assumption... only a waiter.

My congratulations to your friend and his wife, Al. I hope they and the baby will be very happy.

Omg, my youngest brother who is 51 is married to a wonderful lady who is 57. Unfortunately, my brother looks younger than his age and my SIL is very tan and wrinkled from being in the sun alot. Several times, people have said to them things like "it was nice of you to bring your mother..." Those kind of assumptions can get you into trouble.

We had neighbors in Atlanta who were 55+ that adopted three children (all siblings). They are now divorcing.

Nords said:
No worse than going out for a meal with your daughter and having the waiter say "And for your wife?"

Show-off.

We know a couple that raised three, I think, of their own children and once they were grown adopted two boys. They've been raising kids for over 35 years! They confide that they are sick and tired of it and ready to have an empty nest.

My DW and I have nightmares about having another kid, even though she has had a hysterectomy and I have had a vasectomy. It's hard enough when you're in your 20's and 30's. I can't imagine starting it all now in my 40's, much less my 50's.

Notice that a waitress never seems to make that mistaken assumption... only a waiter.
That happened to me at the optometrist. It was the female staff members making the mistake. Maybe the employees need better eye care of their own? It pissed my teenage daughter off to no end.

Back
Top Bottom