Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But the best of all time was Wall Street Week back when Louis Rukeyser was on it.

+1

Your comment got me wondering how the Elves are doing these days. Has anybody checked up on them since Louis left us?

Rukeyser also did a Sunday morning show called Perspective, where he took an in depth look at various issues of the day. It spoiled me. Mr. Rukeyser had a level of quality that is rarely seen in the today's modern media.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I loved Louis Rukeyser's Wall Street Week, and watched it regularly back when it was on. He seemed to have a lot of common sense, and humanity in his approach. Like others, I miss that show a lot.

I watched Cramer occasionally for a while back in the early 2000's, but TBH his show seems like such a dumpster fire at times even though he is entertaining. I just need the info and analysis and his delivery is just too much for me, especially during market crashes like 2008-2009. So I stopped watching him around that time.

Now I get all my info on the internet. I never even knew about NBR.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
...I listened to Marketplace in the past but found Kai Ryssdal very annoying....
I can see that... he is somewhat annoying... but for me the good outweighs the bad so I continue to listen.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Man, oh man! Bummer!

I still reminisce about young Neil Cavuto and Paul Kangas back in the day.
Me too ! Gone. Darn. Enjoyed their format. Simple, interesting. Not that political. Just basic business info..... Will be missed.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious why so many index B&H posters would watch any daily business show?

I used to listen to Marketplace on NPR if it was on during my drive home. I don't think I ever got much of anything out of it investing-wise, but occasionally a feature spot would be interesting, some new development or something. But again, I was a captive audience in the car, it was a decent break from music or fiddling with CDs (this was pre-streaming days). And Kai Ryssdal is still host? Wow, that's been a long run, it was over 15 years ago that I was tuning in, and he had been on for a few years, replacing old what's his name.

And I listened to Bob Brinker's weekend shows, until I already knew 95% of what he was going to say and didn't care about the other 4.99%, but I learned a lot in the early years of listening.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Another similar program that I used to watch regularly was Wealthtrack... I see that it is still on... I need to add it to my recordings list.

But the best of all time was Wall Street Week back when Louis Rukeyser was on it.
Loved Ruykeyser. Cut my teeth watching that as a kid.

Will have to check out Wealthtrack. I
occasionally have watched Charles Payne's Making Money on Fox Business. May have to try that but it seems more reading oriented.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Because I wasn't an index B&H holder from mid 80s through mid 90s.

Haven't watched much NBR since internet started providing data, which is one factor in its demise.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

True that purely passive investors won’t get much from business shows like NBR. But there were stories about trends and specific companies/products that were interesting.

I liked the personalities that NBR had on air and the absence of some others from CNBC. Did you know Kayla Tausche is a Tar Heel?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I used to listen to Marketplace on NPR if it was on during my drive home. I don't think I ever got much of anything out of it investing-wise, but occasionally a feature spot would be interesting, some new development or something. But again, I was a captive audience in the car, it was a decent break from music or fiddling with CDs (this was pre-streaming days). And Kai Ryssdal is still host? Wow, that's been a long run, it was over 15 years ago that I was tuning in, and he had been on for a few years, replacing old what's his name.

And I listened to Bob Brinker's weekend shows, until I already knew 95% of what he was going to say and didn't care about the other 4.99%, but I learned a lot in the early years of listening.

-ERD50
I just enjoy it. It’s more interesting than listening to politics, celebrity news, food shows or HGTV.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Pre-internet, NBR was a must.
A+
Old 12-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"...wishing all of you the best of good buys"

Paul Kangas. RIP.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
"...wishing all of you the best of good buys"

Paul Kangas. RIP.
OK I have to ask this. Was that "buys" or "by's".
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I had no idea. I watched tonight’s “Nightly Business Report” and they closed by saying it’s gone. CNBC will not continue to produce. Say it ain’t so, it’s the only business-oriented show I watch, even though I preferred it pre-CNBC.
Yes, I was blown away on Friday too. Didn't have a clue. It seems I'm always the last one to know.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
NBR gone?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

NBR gone?

I’ve now set my Sling DVR to record Bloomberg’s “What’d You Miss?” show. That, along with adding the “Marketwatch” podcast and scanning pieces that appear on CNBC’s mobile app throughout the day, might soften the blow of the NBR loss. Adaptation is key!

Old 01-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our local PBS station has replaced NBR with BBC OS (Outside Source). Last night, January 2, the first business day of 2020, BBC OS came on the air during the NBR time slot and the host of the show "welcomed" the many new PBS viewers that would be watching for the first time.

BBC OS is not a business program at all. It's world news presented in a social media format. That is, the host "flips" from one screen to another, amalgamating several bit & pieces of this and that, Twitter, Instagram, video clips, etc. and this compilation of sound bites makes up a full-length story. Sort of interesting, but certainly not my cup of tea.

I don't know how many other PBS affiliates replaced NBR with BBC OS but I probably will not watch OS often if at all.

Guess I'm back to watching video clips from CNBC, Fox Business, and the like to get my business/economy news. I may also try some of the Sirius/XM offerings as well as other podcasts.

If anyone comes up with any interesting business alternatives that broadcast over-the-air on network TV (non-cable) please chime in.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Most business newscasters (I’m especially talking about CNBC and Fox Business) are just shills for Wall Street...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
NBR gone?
Old 03-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

NBR gone?

This thread’s a little stale but was helpful. In particular, I’m happy with the “Marketplace” podcast for updates. NBR? It was good but “out of sight, out of mind”.

The Bloomberg show is a bit too frantic for my taste.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have not settled on any replacement. What I liked about NBR is it was "business" oriented, with emphasis on markets, investing and personal finance.

Marketplace to me is too little business/investing, though I do like the show

Most other shows seem to be too trading oriented. I find myself going to Mad Money which is more investing and less business.

I liked Kudlow's show too, before they took that off the air. I think we need a good business/investing show now, particularly a half hour format!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote