New Watch

dirt_dobber

Recycles dryer sheets
I love being retired - not knowing which day of the week it is - is a neat experience :dance:- but can be sometimes problematic.
So I got this watch for Christmas. It is a Citizen Chandler Men's Watch BU2055-08X. I love it because it has a day of the week dial on the left side of the watch and a date on the right side and large numbers - so easy to see without bifocals.
The reason for knowing what day of the week for me are...
Only going to hardware stores on weekday.
Knowing when to dress up as I love to go to church on my Sunday's.
citizen_watch.jpg

Yeah, a different world than mine.

I sold a Rado and a Lassale watch on eBay, and just threw out a Seiko and a Citizen (all 4 in perfect condition) in the trash today, it's sitting at the curb for pickup right now. Exact model Citizen below, not even worth bothering to sell to me...

Attachments

• Citizen.jpg
    Citizen.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm not a watch person, so I just use my cell phone. It tells me the day and date, in addition to the time.

There is also this little box in lower right corner of the computer screen that tells me the date and time. But not the day unless I click on it.

I tried just using my cell phone, but it keep sliding off my wrist :D

And I found out I couldn't take my cell phone swimming :eek:

So I got this for the same reasons as OP: tells me the Day of week, Year, day, month, and time and It comes with a 10 year battery. And it was $15
casio-watch-on-sale.png

I got a heart rate monitor to wear on my wrist and it has a really cool secondary function. It also displays the time, date and day. Who'd a thunk it?

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 37
I tried just using my cell phone, but it keep sliding off my wrist :D

And I found out I couldn't take my cell phone swimming :eek:

So I got this for the same reasons as OP: tells me the Day of week, Year, day, month, and time and It comes with a 10 year battery. And it was $15
casio-watch-on-sale.png

Why do you need to know what time it is when you are swimming:confused:?

Why do you need to know what time it is when you are swimming:confused:?

I don't anymore, but in the old days it was to have an idea of when, as in how many more minutes the air would run out.
The pressure gauge would tell you how much is there, but not how long it will last at a certain depth.

Garmin Fenix HR 3 Sapphire has been on my wrist for almost 2 years. Which is surprising because my watch collection is over 20. Can't beat all the data sycned right to the wrist and totally 100% customizable watch faces. Band broke but I ordered a replacement with the watch so no biggie. It sometimes gets in the way of left hand resistance band training when working out but any watch would have that problem. I just shove it way up my arm to work around it. I originally bought it for GLONASS and Altimiter tracking back country apline ski runs. It worked great and I just never took it off. Would recommend to anyone.

One of the standard panel of questions used to determine whether a person is legally competent is to ask whether they know what day, date, and month it is. I'm not sure I'll be allowed to look at my watch.:(

I wore my Ironman Triathlon Timex watch from back in my working days, until about 2 years ago when the bezel fell off. Then I wore a cheap purple girly Armitron watch for a few months until I decided to join the 21st century and wear no watch at all.

Most days I know what day it is, because even as a retiree I need to know that most of the time. I need to know if I have an Amazon delivery scheduled for today, or a doctor appointment, or if it is trash day, if various businesses are open, or whatever.

In addition, as I grow older I appreciate each day more and more, and being aware of what day it is helps me to more fully experience that day. So, naturally I know what day it is. If I forget, it is not mind-breakingly difficult to find out from my computer.

I get the time from clocks, or sometimes my cell phone on the rare occasion when there isn't a clock nearby.

My left wrist has a permanent dent in it where the watch strap was located, for over 60 years of 24/7/365 watch wearing.

I like that watch. My daily watch is the same one I have been wearing since 1985 (same model, not the same watch).

71gk01uTMAL._UX342_.jpg

This one does the same thing for $32,000.

fetch

Last edited:
One of the standard panel of questions used to determine whether a person is legally competent is to ask whether they know what day, date, and month it is.

I've always (well, since I retired) thought that was unfair to retirees. After I retired I found that I just don't care what day of the week it is and most of the time it'll take a while for me to remember if I can at all. And if I do need to know, I look at the top of the newspaper, and that's about as granular as I need to get about timekeeping.:)

My "gamer". Simple, retro, no battery needed :dance:.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 27
I used to be big into watches, until the day I retired. Its a little sad whenever I open the nightstand drawer full of watches sitting idle.
A fun side fact. Tennis great Rafael Nadal always wears watches costing $500K+, and wears them during his matches.
At a recent French Open, he wore an $850,000 watch is from Swiss watchmaker Richard Mille that is called the RM-27 02 Whirpool Rafael Nadal.

Attachments

• 73414536.jpg
    73414536.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 31
Yeah, a different world than mine.

I sold a Rado and a Lassale watch on eBay, and just threw out a Seiko and a Citizen (all 4 in perfect condition) in the trash today, it's sitting at the curb for pickup right now. Exact model Citizen below, not even worth bothering to sell to me...

how easy to use is the count down timer? I bought the timex version, and it is very tough to reset.

For the races I always use a cheap kitchen timer with velcro stuck to the helm.;)

Nice Citizen, OP! A good solar watch is the only movement not represented in my modest collection.

I prefer windows over hands, but a day-date watch is super convenient for me.

I can take my watch swimming - it even counts laps. And it monitors my heart rate all day, more detail readout when I’m exercising.

IMost days I know what day it is, because even as a retiree I need to know that most of the time. I need to know if I have an Amazon delivery scheduled for today.

Um yeah. You can stop there.

Now that you're going back to the gym don't you need some new workout gear? It could be motivating :)

I like this and I'm looking for something like it- what brand is it and where did you get it?

I have something similar in my fitbit (model charge3 is around $150). My charge2 shows date and time, HR, steps, tracks time exercised, and prompts me to move a little at least every hour. The HR isn't perfect and hardcore athletes won't like it - anything without a chest strap is reading your wrist and has higher error rates. But it is good enough for someone who can live with a small margin of error.

There are similar other products to look through in this recent smartwatch thread.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/smart-watch-93067-3.html

(i like the looks of the samsung gearfit pro mentioned on page 3 of that thread, and might give it a go when my fitbit dies (they always die after about a year or two).

I never wore a watch a day in my life not saying they aren't a great thing, just wasn't for me. I must have got by some how, because I was on schedules each and everyday for 35 years. When I was in the office there were clocks, so it was never an issue.

When I w*rked I couldn't stand not wearing a watch. Never mind I was on a computer most the time, carried a cell or pager for 20+ years.

Took mine off the day I retired and haven't put it on in over 5 years.

I wear a Garmin 235, using it to track steps, heart rate, keep data on hikes and bike rides. Downloads to Garmin Connect where I can see the data/maps. It syncs with my phone so I can see who is texting/calling on my watch.

Back
Top Bottom