Nothing Like Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A year ago DW and I chose to downsize and move to the country. This weekend our county held their St Portricks Day Hunt . Ranchers will let hunters hunt wild hogs on their property from Saturday till noon Sunday . Must be approved by the county Sheriffs and Hunting assn. Friday Night DW and I went to the pre party . Hunters from all over getting their assignments all 4 man teams . Some Cowboys hunt with dogs and a knife , Lots of bowhunters . and lots of gun hunters . Hog hunting has went hi Tech , Drones and some kind of herd trackers. At the end of the party they said a prayer for safety, go over the rules again then they play AC/ DC Thunder Only in Texas ! Pickups and ATVs everywhere . Now some go for the numbers and some for the size .Sunday noon DW and I went to see the finals , flat bed trailers and pickups parked up and down the highway full of dead hogs . We heard later they finished counting around 3:pM we didn't hang out to see what happened but friends told us , one team got 18 lots of babies . Last we heard was 244 hogs several over 300lbs . This seems like a lot but not even the tip of the iceberg. Country living ………………….

Now that is my idea of a good time. I have the prerequisites for this event - heck I could live in Texas. But DW could not. Maybe I can change her mind on our way through in a couple of weeks.

In the fall in Alabama there is a brief hunting season for gators. Hunters have to apply for tags, but there are lots of hunters who hunt near our weekend place on the he river. We get to see them leave in the evenings and get to see their catch early the next morning. Some of those gators are BIG. Makes you think twice about going for a swim...

I know you think I am joking but next week our Volunteer Fire Department is have their spring fund raiser . The fire Department has firemen talk to people about smoke alarms . Some Company donates alarms and our firemen will install. Now the big event is a Crawfish Boil , smoke jumpers jumping ,Jaws of Life cutting and the Zero Turn Olympics . The firemen will have a course set up on the day of the event and time these people going through an obstacle course on Zero Turn mowers . These Olympics are not to be taken lightly when we go to the Dollar Store the trash talk is big time . We go every year and buy pies from the ladies group . donate 100.0

It’s always open season on wild pigs at my dads farm in GA. If we see a pickup driving along the fields at night we know what they are after.

Wild Hogs are a problem , we have had people injured going down the roads at night go around a turn and Bam a whole bunch of Hogs in the road. It is destroying the deer hunting . They beg people to hunt hogs in Texas . This hunt was just something the guys do to have fun with it . I admire the Cowboys those guys are crazy go through a pasture on a horse with dogs . The dogs attack the Hogs the Cowboys rope the Hogs and cut their throats . You see these old retired hunting dogs and they are scarred up but they love it .
They told us Wild Hogs are better then what you get at the grocery store because they are not as fat . ……….I don't know.

A year ago DW and I chose to downsize and move to the country. This weekend our county held their St Portricks Day Hunt . Ranchers will let hunters hunt wild hogs on their property from Saturday till noon Sunday . Must be approved by the county Sheriffs and Hunting assn. Friday Night DW and I went to the pre party . Hunters from all over getting their assignments all 4 man teams . Some Cowboys hunt with dogs and a knife , Lots of bowhunters . and lots of gun hunters . Hog hunting has went hi Tech , Drones and some kind of herd trackers. At the end of the party they said a prayer for safety, go over the rules again then they play AC/ DC Thunder Only in Texas ! Pickups and ATVs everywhere . Now some go for the numbers and some for the size .Sunday noon DW and I went to see the finals , flat bed trailers and pickups parked up and down the highway full of dead hogs . We heard later they finished counting around 3:pM we didn't hang out to see what happened but friends told us , one team got 18 lots of babies . Last we heard was 244 hogs several over 300lbs . This seems like a lot but not even the tip of the iceberg. Country living ………………….

What, no BBQ?

Parts of our county are overrun with feral pigs and coyotes. Both are good usage of AR15's. We need both gone.

West of Ripley, Tennessee along the Mississippi River, a bunch of European Wild Boar from East Tennessee's Tellico Plains were transplanted. They have bred with the local pigs and produced an especially ferocious hog. They badly need to be harvested.

I don't know what they did with all of the carcasses but lots of people eat them . Lots of Latin Americans fix them up in Tamales . There were lots of people hanging around I suspect lots were given away.

Using drones and other technologies does not seem very sporting to me. Ugh! I wouldn’t want to live in Texas if this is their idea of fun

I don't know what they did with all of the carcasses but lots of people eat them . Lots of Latin Americans fix them up in Tamales . There were lots of people hanging around I suspect lots were given away.
Or grind them up in America's go to food - Hot Dogs or Perros Calientes.

I think hunting feral pigs is not limited to Texas and is probably pretty common in other parts of the country, just as hunting in general is common everywhere.

There is a difference between hunting and slaughtering. My dad hunted pheasants and rabbits and we ate them. My ex hunted deer and we ate the one he usually killed. This was a organized slaughter. Killing for the fun of it.

Wild Hogs are a problem , we have had people injured going down the roads at night go around a turn and Bam a whole bunch of Hogs in the road. It is destroying the deer hunting .
They sure are a problem around here. They can tear up a good sized pasture in just one night.

Being a new resident of Texas as of five months ago, I thought this would be a good thread to visit. Based on the latter half of the responses, I picked the wrong thread to read. Although we didn't choose to move to Texas and wouldn't have if our only child hadn't moved here, threads like these tend to fork into griping contests. I heard enough bad things about Texas from fellow Californians, a vast majority who had never stepped foot into the state. :mad:

Using drones and other technologies does not seem very sporting to me. Ugh! I wouldn’t want to live in Texas if this is their idea of fun

This wasn’t so much a hunt as an extermination of a serious pest.

Wild pigs are not native and they destroy habitat thus hurting other wildlife.

Feral pigs are a huge problem here. They damage hunting land and farm land, (also golf courses, etc) and destroy habitat for the indigenous species (both plant and animal). While this sort of hunt is not "sporting" it is necessary to keep this invasive and damaging animal population under control

Years ago DW came home with a pet pig. Those things sure are smart. It could p*ss DW off in 5 minutes. Generally takes me 15 at least.

ETA: It's not hunting as I know it; its damage control.

Last edited:
I heard enough bad things about Texas from fellow Californians, a vast majority who had never stepped foot into the state. :mad:
I knew there was something I liked about Californians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom