RIP:Leon Spinks dead at 67

He fought Joe Frazier for the Heavyweight Championship of the world in 1969 (I think it was in 69)... I was actually in attendance at that fight...:cool:

This is the only world heavyweight championship fight (okay, light heavy) that I've ever been to. Madison Square Gardens in '08

It was nice to see Roy again in the fight against Tyson the other day. Iron Mike looked okay (especially for his age) but you could tell that Roy hadn't trained much, wasn't taking it overly seriously and was just there for the payday.

Taught me a lesson that things are not always as they seem... I think we all knew Smokin Joe would win, but wow, that was quick.

Luckily there were a number of preliminary fights before the Frazier fight. Otherwise that would be a really short fight night.

Yeah remembered when I paid decent money at that time to see Tyson vs. Spinks on a huge screen. Over in 90+ seconds.

I would have loved to see Tyson and Ali both in their prime. Ali was a more strategic fighter, but wondered if he could hold off the intensity of Tyson.
I know what he did with Foreman, but Tyson would have beat Foreman.

Ali vs Tyson in their prime is my dream fight also.

Between the two I would pick Ali, but we will never know who would've won.

I pick Ali because Tyson couldn't figure out Holyfield, and I think Ali was even a better boxer than Holyfield. Plus, I could see Ali working that jab over and over again.

I pick Ali because Tyson couldn't figure out Holyfield, and I think Ali was even a better boxer than Holyfield. Plus, I could see Ali working that jab over and over again.

Was Tyson still truly in his prime against Hollyfield? Theoretically, Spinks was going to out jab him, but just succumbed to the onslaught.
I do agree with Ali over Hollyfield.

Ali and Tyson were unbeatable in their primes. But of course Ali beat the "Tysons" of his era, Sonny Liston and George Foreman.

I would pick Ali over Tyson. Hand speed, reach advantage.

Ali and Tyson were unbeatable in their primes. But of course Ali beat the "Tysons" of his era, Sonny Liston and George Foreman.

I would pick Ali over Tyson. Hand speed, reach advantage.

I could not see either Liston or Foreman beating Tyson. Tyson had way more hand speed and was just as powerful with either hand.
Still not sure though if he could take Ali.

My detailed memory of those years is starting to fade but it seems I recall a lot of "speculation" in the press that Ali couldn't take a punch... Why? Because in his early years as the champion, no one could hit him. Of course that changed later but as a young man he was almost "untouchable". (If I recall correctly)

Another historical tidbit from those days.. I think the only person Ali may have been afraid to fight was Wilt Chamberlain... (Yes the basketball player)... It was actually scheduled at one point but never happened.

Last edited:
Was Tyson still truly in his prime against Hollyfield? Theoretically, Spinks was going to out jab him, but just succumbed to the onslaught.
I do agree with Ali over Hollyfield.

Tyson was definitely not in his prime against Holyfield. Watching those fights, I was for Tyson but was flustered that he really never landed any good shots against Holyfield. Gotta give some credit to Holyfield, but still.

I still think Ali in his prime (when was that? before his name change?) was just too quick.

When Ali lost to Frazier (past Ali's prime too), Frazier's left hook decked Ali. I'd say Tyson was even a bigger puncher than Frazier.

That's why Tyson vs Ali is my dream fight.

Sad to see what it has become. Due in no small part to charlatans like King.

I used to love boxing. Back when ESPN was just getting off the ground I would watch a fight several times a week. I bet I haven't watched one in 20 years.

My detailed memory of those years is starting to fade but it seems I recall a lot of "speculation" in the press that Ali couldn't take a punch... Why? Because in his early years as the champion, no one could hit him. Of course that changed later but as a young man he was almost "untouchable". (If I recall correctly)

Another historical tidbit from those days.. I think the only person Ali may have been afraid to fight was Wilt Chamberlain... (Yes the basketball player)... It was actually scheduled at one point but never happened.

I do not think Ali was afraid of anyone. I think his camp was fearful going into the Foreman fight.

Fight with Chamberlain? That would have involved two of my heroes. Ali had reason to worry about Chamberlain's reach and the physics of a fighter who can throw punches DOWN at your head.

Chamberlain, though an excellent athlete in his own right was relative immobility and his lack.of fight experience would have made him no match for Ali, in what would have been an exhibition in any event.

Last edited:
Two words: Don King

The damage he did and the fortunes he ripped off from his fighters...disgusting.
Can't believe that conman is still alive.

He was just one in a long line doing the same things to boxers. I wonder if that has changed with guys like De La Hoya getting into the promotion side of things. Or are they just continuing the “traditions” ?

I do not think Ali was afraid of anyone. I think his camp was fearful going into the Foreman fight.

Fight with Chamberlain? That would have involved two of my heroes. Ali had reason to worry about Chamberlain's reach and the physics of a fighter who can throw punches DOWN at your head.

Chamberlain', though an excellent athlete in his own right was relative immobility and his lack.of fight experience would have made him no match for Ali, in what would have been an exhibition in any event.
That's why I said "may have been" afraid... If I remember the story correctly, the pre fight banter may have gotten to "Wilt the Stilt" :) as Ali kept hollering "timber" when talking about their upcoming match... Even though Wilt was a ~foot taller and had a 12+ inch reach advantage, I think Ali would have won... After all he was the top professional boxer at that time. Of course he would had to "work the body" since ladders weren't allowed :)

Last edited:
That's why I said "may have been" afraid... If I remember the story correctly, the pre fight banter may have gotten to "Wilt the Stilt" :) as Ali kept hollering "timber" when talking about their upcoming match... Even though Wilt was a ~foot taller and had a 12+ inch reach advantage, I think Ali would have won... After all he was the top professional boxer at that time. Of course he would had to "work the body" since ladders weren't allowed :)

Yeah can't see Wilt beating Ali. Not very mobile and would be a standing target for Ali's jabs.

Chamberlain', though an excellent athlete in his own right was relative immobility and his lack.of fight experience would have made him no match for Ali, in what would have been an exhibition in any event.

Many years ago, I watched the documentary "When We Were Kings". The documentary was initially supposed to be about a James Brown concert but turned into one of Ali vs Foreman.

Was very enjoyable to watch. At one point the documentary shows how Ali's camp thought they were sending him in for the slaughter.

I think people forget that Ali was physically a big guy . Such was the case when he stepped into the ring against Liston. Even compared to Foreman, Ali wasn't small.

I remember an interview Leon had where he said something like: I ain't got no monies or toothsies. He had a tough life, so not a real surprise he passed so young.

Many years ago, I watched the documentary "When We Were Kings". The documentary was initially supposed to be about a James Brown concert but turned into one of Ali vs Foreman.

Was very enjoyable to watch. At one point the documentary shows how Ali's camp thought they were sending him in for the slaughter.

I think people forget that Ali was physically a big guy . Such was the case when he stepped into the ring against Liston. Even compared to Foreman, Ali wasn't small.

Great award-winning documentary. I think I have seen just about all the movies about Ali, except the one that just came out, I think it is "One Night in Miami" .

I recall as a kid listening to round by round "descriptions" of the "Rumble in the Jungle". I was stunned when tbe fight was stopped and Ali had won.

I boxed in college. 3 minutes in the ring are the longest 3 minutes of your life, and there are only 3 rounds in an amateur boxing bout. Trying to make a living at it professionally in 15 round fights is beyond my comprehension. I salute all those who attempt it.

Trying to make a living at it professionally in 15 round fights is beyond my comprehension.

I'm still in contact with a German born Toronto resident, a couple/few years older than me, that my late wife & I met while RVing.

He was a boxer at one time, and I recall him relating his reaction to what ended up as his last fight......he said he was getting pounded in the ring and thought to himself "What the hell am I doing out here?"

Back
Top Bottom