Withdrawal symptoms??

PX4sc40sw

Recycles dryer sheets
Since retirement, I from time to time feel a sensation that I would classify as "caged animal" or "wanting to jump out of my skin". I read a few threads on the forum somewhat related but not addressing specifically those feelings.

Does that seem like a normal retiree complaint?

Since retirement, I from time to time feel a sensation that I would classify as "caged animal" or "wanting to jump out of my skin". I read a few threads on the forum somewhat related but not addressing specifically those feelings.

Does that seem like a normal retiree complaint?
During the first days and weeks after retiring I'd suddenly be struck with a sensation that made me want to jump for joy. So no, your complaint doesn't track with my experience.

Mine is much closer to REW. The only time I get a feeling anywhere near that is the thought of going back to w#$k.

During the first days and weeks after retiring I'd suddenly be struck with a sensation that made me want to jump for joy. So no, your complaint doesn't track with my experience.

I had the "jump for joy" sensation for the first few years but lately it feels like I'm entering a new retirement phase. Just an odd feeling.

After the usual handsprings and wooohooooooo action, I had the "I'm supposed to be somewhere doing something" feeling for several months, up to almost a year. It was a residual of living a tightly scheduled daytime regimen for almost 2 decades. So I countacted that type A behavior by entering "appointments" in my email calendar, ranging from "Feed the fish" to real appts like doctor checkups or call so-and-so to go to lunch. Some of my entries were actually pretty funny. :rolleyes:
Are you winter bound or living in nice weather? Your feeling could simply be mild cabin fever. I know I'm getting a little antsy for spring. :whistle:

Update - I just saw your intro post. A bleated welcome to the board, Mr. or Ms. Physicist, from a retired Ms. Engineer. I'm not quite getting the symbols in your username yet. Give me some time to figure that one out...:greetings10:

I had the "jump for joy" sensation for the first few years but lately it feels like I'm entering a new retirement phase. Just an odd feeling.
I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary of retirement so maybe that "new phase" is still ahead of me. How long have you been retired?

This could also be all the uneasiness you are seeing and hearing from the media. I mean you would think its the end of the world.
My $.02 worth,
Steve

After the usual handsprings and wooohooooooo action, I had the "I'm supposed to be somewhere doing something" feeling for several months, up to almost a year. It was a residual of living a tightly scheduled daytime regimen for almost 2 decades. So I countacted that type A behavior by entering "appointments" in my email calendar, ranging from "Feed the fish" to real appts like doctor checkups or call so-and-so to go to lunch. Some of my entries were actually pretty funny. :rolleyes:
Are you winter bound or living in nice weather? Your feeling could simply be mild cabin fever. I know I'm getting a little antsy for spring. :whistle:

Update - I just saw your intro post. A bleated welcome to the board, Mr. or Ms. Physicist, from a retired Ms. Engineer. I'm not quite getting the symbols in your username yet. Give me some time to figure that one out...:greetings10:

Thanks, I have a really bad case of thinking I forgot to show up for a class, so I didn't graduate.:( It's never grad school, always undergrad.

Worked with many, many engineers over the years, definitely feel I know you well. As a Ms. Engineer, at least your clothes probably matched. BTW, I just noted you said "bleated welcome", are you a UNC grad?? :ROFLMAO:

I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary of retirement so maybe that "new phase" is still ahead of me. How long have you been retired?

It's been 53 months, 11 days, 4 hours and 22 minutes. The sensation started about 5 months, 11 days, 4 hours and 22 minutes ago.:(

I was a nervous wreck on the day I left work. Actually I felt like I was doing something wrong and felt guilty. It took a while but I did calm down and settled in. Now I'm worried about my port as it's been hit real hard but I'm hanging in there. Funny but I'm as nervous now about having to go back to work as when I left work. Go Figure!

Same for me.

I was a nervous wreck on the day I left work. Actually I felt like I was doing something wrong and felt guilty. It took a while but I did calm down and settled in. Now I'm worried about my port as it's been hit real hard but I'm hanging in there. Funny but I'm as nervous now about having to go back to work as when I left work. Go Figure!

Oh yeah, definitely had those feelings. Still feel a bit of guilt and about what, I'm not sure. I will eat Ramen before I go back, loved work, but no going back.

It's been 53 months, 11 days, 4 hours and 22 minutes. The sensation started about 5 months, 11 days, 4 hours and 22 minutes ago.:(
I'm retired about 3yrs or so. Not sure I'd want to know it to that detail. Last w*rk involved trains, where in some respect time was the big thing.
I do enjoy less attention to detail.
Had a marine biologist friend who was extremely detail oriented, to the point of obsession.
My advice to her was: You can't discern the beauty of a rose by dis-assembling it.

Ya know, you may be one of those few who actually enjoyed their pre-retirement jobs. I have admitted to that affliction. It makes early semi-retirement more appealing than complete retirement for me. Just when I got all that worked out, the damn economy went to pot.

So, fess up: did you like your work, hate it, or somewhere in between? Not talking long hours, nights, weekends, etc. since that's a given as things you will gladly give up. But the work and career environment themselves -- do you miss them?

I am now into my seventh month of retirement and finding not having to go to work becoming sweeter by the day. Today I went to a meeting of a professional society to which I've been a member for 30 years. As I looked around the room, I kept thinking "I'm so glad I don't have to do this anymore." I may continue to take an interesting consulting assignment from time-to-time (although most seem to have dried up for now), but that's it. Retirement really is wonderful.

Ya know, you may be one of those few who actually enjoyed their pre-retirement jobs. I have admitted to that affliction. It makes early semi-retirement more appealing than complete retirement for me. Just when I got all that worked out, the damn economy went to pot.
So, fess up: did you like your work, hate it, or somewhere in between? Not talking long hours, nights, weekends, etc. since that's a given as things you will gladly give up. But the work and career environment themselves -- do you miss them?
Be strong, Rich. You can make it. One [-]10%[/-] step at a time...

I've been retired for a bit more than 4 years, and would sell a kidney before I would go back to w*rk.

Occasionally (in winter) I will feel a bit restless or bored, but that can be alleviated by a trip to the library or a phone call or email.

Thanks, I have a really bad case of thinking I forgot to show up for a class, so I didn't graduate.:( It's never grad school, always undergrad.

Worked with many, many engineers over the years, definitely feel I know you well. As a Ms. Engineer, at least your clothes probably matched. BTW, I just noted you said "bleated welcome", are you a UNC grad?? :ROFLMAO:
Good answer! :LOL: That feeling of "I'm supposed to be somewhere" or in your case "I forgot to show up for class" is something we may never get rid of. Years of strict mental discipline, ruled by the numbers and the timers...argh.
My clothes were actually pretty typical, casual when I was in the lab :), "power suits" :nonono:for visitors .
But yes, they did match. :whistle:
"Bleated" was just fat fingers on my keyboard. However, I have to sound an acronym alert!!! UNC stands for University of ??
I'm actually a SUNY grad, BS Physics. Engineering and computers came later, as needed.
There's a lot of techno-geeks here on the forum. But we leave the equation solving for the still harnessed. :ROFLMAO: I have zero plans to do any more techno stuff except for my own amusement.

North Carolina, the Tarheels. Ramses the ram is their mascot.

OK, fessing up. It had some trying aspects, but I worked with people that actually impressed me daily with their knowledge. Most coworkers were very unpretentious and the environment was pretty congenial. No real deliverables other than "white" papers. Plus the large complex of buildings where I worked housed many different businesses. Conversations at lunch might range from Thomas Jefferson's affair with Mrs. Cosway, to speculation on the feasibility of a quantum bomb.

I miss that.

Back
Top Bottom