2022 Investment Performance Thread

Pretty much more of the same with some improvement in the right direction.

-2.88% YTD. Same ~32/66/2 AA.

32/66/2 AA for Jan-Jul on Portfolio Visualizer was -10.03% so I'm pretty happy with -2.88%

Interesting how the deltas vs the benchmark are swinging around... YTD July +7.15%, YTD June +8.80%, YTD May +7.49% vs benchmark.

I have a plan and trying to convince DH this is the best strategy for us and it is similar to your AA.

Could you share what 32% is: I'm guessing index funds
66% is: I'm guessing laddered treasuries
2% Cash

Is that about right? We're 65 this year. Right now we're 45/50/5. I'm asking how you have the 32% and 66% allocated. I don't like bond funds or individual bonds.

Edit: -11% YTD

June 2022 down 13.9% 33% stocks

July 2022 down 11.9% 31% stocks

-5% YTD, with 60% in equities (41% US, 19% Intl.), 30% TIAA Traditional, 10% misc. stable value, I bonds, and a bit of cash.

Last edited:
I have a plan and trying to convince DH this is the best strategy for us and it is similar to your AA.

Could you share what 32% is: I'm guessing index funds
66% is: I'm guessing laddered treasuries
2% Cash

Is that about right? We're 65 this year. Right now we're 45/50/5. I'm asking how you have the 32% and 66% allocated. I don't like bond funds or individual bonds.

Edit: -11% YTD

You're probably not going to like my answer, because it is complicated and not anywhere near equity index funds. I found a formula error and it is actually 34/64/2 rather than 32/66/2, but not different enough to fret about.

The 34% is a very eclectic. ~29% is synthetic equity... the exercised value of Dec 2023 and 2024 SPY LEAP call options at a 400 strike that I bought at various times but were $25-40 ITM when I bought them. I use the exercised value plus the current time value as the current value in computing AA and make a comensurate reduction to fixed income for the exercise price. I do this because assuming that SPY is above 400 in Dec 2023 or 2024 I will receive the appreciation of the SPY from what it was when I bought the LEAPs until expiry so I get the upside appreciation of the SPY for the next ~1-1/2 and 2-1/2 years (but not dividends). The remainder is ~2% of DIS and TGT that have been assigned to me through my cash covered put writing activities and the other ~3% is SWAN (which is an odd-duck ETF of ~90% 10yr UST and 10% 6 and 12 month SPY call options... but is pretty equity-like).

The 64% is 55% CDs and USTs (and is after the reduction for exercising the LEAPS), 7% I bonds and 2% an old whole-life insurance poicy that I keep.

The 2% cash is mostly online savings and a little of what is in my brokerage settlement accounts and undeployed.

Last edited:
Only track Schwab which is down 12.66%, not pretty but sticking with:
87% SCHB
6% PWZ
4% CDs (new to me)
2% SCHD
1% Individual stocks
1 yr cash at USAA but that's 'just in case the kids need it money'

Last edited:
YTD as of 7/30: -9.8% (Overall net worth adjusted for cash inflow (w*rk), but includes payments on two new vehicles both financed at 0%)
July: +4.4%
Approximate Asset Allocation: 48% Equities, 46.4% Cash/Bonds, 5.2% PM's.
Cash/Bonds is largely short duration or inflation adjusted.

Down 7.8%, 38/28/34, cash increased from bond sales that I probably should have moved out of earlier in the year. Will sit with this for a while.

YTD down 15.5%
All major market index ETFs

Totally fine with it.
People don't realize that the historical ~10% stock market returns INCLUDE all the bear markets. The volatility is the "price " you pay for those outstanding long term returns.

Down 10.1% YTD on 2/3 equities. Maybe we should start saying "nominal", now that inflation is a bigger factor. I'm still above the level 8.5 years ago, when I retired (inflation adjusted and spend adjusted: investment performance, as the thread title indicates).

As of 1-Aug-22 we are down <-8.05%> from 1-Jan-22.

We moved some monies to CD's and Treasuries.

Current Asset Allocation is 46.7% Equities, 31.8% Bonds, 21.5% Cash

July was a better month. Gained 4.09% in July.

YTD -4.7% overall on 36.8% equities/42.67% fixed income/20.53% cash.

... Maybe we should start saying "nominal", now that inflation is a bigger factor...

Yes. When inflation runs 10% a year, your -15% annual return is really -23.5% (1 - 0.85*0.90).

To compute YTD returns, we need monthly inflation factors, but do not have up-to-date numbers.

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq

984-k Taxable Account -4.70%
85-K IRA -11.91%
20-K HSA -21.36% *Too Much Intel*
401-K ?

Last edited:
This is kind of late, but my YTD as of July 31 was -9.28%, slightly better than the YTD of June 30.

Back
Top Bottom